Help Me Back Up My External HDD

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by science, Feb 3, 2009.

Feb 3, 2009
  1. science
    OP

Member science science rules

Canada
    Ok, so I am on a Macbook. I have a 250GB external HDD with 80GB of stuff stored on it. It is using NTFS, and Macs don't normally allow you to write to NTFS, but I installed some 3rd party drivers. The problem is that the drivers don't work so well. The thing keeps giving me errors. I don't need it in NTFS anymore, so I want to back up the stuff and format with the OS X file system. How could I go about doing this? I only have 30GB free on my Macbook.

This is what I have available to me:

1. School computers running windows with lots of free space that I could use to make the transfer
    2. My girlfriends Macbook with lots of free space

What can I do? If I copy the files onto the windows computer (the HDD works fine with windows computers), how do I get them off? I can attempt to copy them to my GFs Macbook, but I don't know if it will stay connected. Also, she doesn't have the NTFS drivers, so I don't know if I will be able to copy the files off my HDD.

Any ideas?

2. WildWon

Former Staff WildWon EXTERMINATE!

United States
    Eww. Thats a toughie. I'm going to think about this one for a bit and get back to you.
    My initial idea is a ton of blank DVDs and a high-level compression... but that takes a while. Lemme work this through my brain and see what happens. (9 out of 10 chance that my idea WILL involved pr0n in some way, so keep your eyes peeled! [​IMG])

3. AndreXL

Member AndreXL GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Philippines
  4. science
    OP

Member science science rules

Canada
    Yep, you're right. I'm in the process of backing it up to my GF's Macbook. Thanks!

And sorry to give you a headache WildWon! But this solution doesn't involve pr0n so you can still best it! [​IMG]