Hacking [Help] Installed wrong OTP. Am I screwed?

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
It's good you do backups, but doesn't all that every Thursday seem a bit excessive?
You would think that, but it's actually got me out of several jams. Because I do it weekly I tend to catch problems pretty early and I am able to fix them before they get worse. In fact, one time I fucked my 3DS NAND, but because I literally backed up a few days before hand, I was able to restore a NAND that was only few days old, verses a few weeks to months old. I do delete NAND backups every couple of weeks to save on space, but I keep at least a month's worth of backups.

Reactions: Boogieboo6

Lush

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hard mod on o3ds XL is extremely easy. You don't even need to remove the motherboard. All the points are on the top side. Super simple and the points couldn't be easier to solder.

Last edited by Lush,

SanchezTG

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Actually, if all that was done was using the wrong OTP, then it's entirely possible to easily fix this, (with a hardmod) you'll need to actually use the old sector generator for a9lh and generate the PROPER sector, with the right OTP, then simply install that at the correct offset (sector 0x96 which is offset 0x96 * 0x200 in NAND)

Sorry for the super long wait. I finally got around to installing the hardmod. I just need a little direction from here. I have my NAND ( which I used the wrong OTP file on). I have the incorrect OTP file also. What's next?

This is fixable, but you will need a hardmod and the OTP that you used for the install. If we also know what FIRM version you started with (I'm assuming 9.2, correct me otherwise), then we can do a plaintext firm attack to swap the FIRM in NAND since we know what payload you installed.

I finally got to do the Hardmod, and I was on firmware version 9.2. I have everything else, what should I do next?

shadowofdarkness

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Sorry for the super long wait. I finally got around to installing the hardmod. I just need a little direction from here. I have my NAND ( which I used the wrong OTP file on). I have the incorrect OTP file also. What's next?

I finally got to do the Hardmod, and I was on firmware version 9.2. I have everything else, what should I do next?

Make a backup just to be safe and store it unmodified so if you mess up you still have it at the current state.

To fix you just have to manually inject a proper sector.bin made with the correct OTP, if on Windows you can inject it into a backup with a hex editor then flash the modified image back to the system

If by chance you have a Linux machine you can directly fix it on the 3DS without restore time with the following command just make sure to use the correct of device.

sudo dd if=sector.bin of=/dev/sdb bs=16M seek=$((0x12C00)) oflag=seek_bytes conv=notrunc

dark_samus3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Make a backup just to be safe and store it unmodified so if you mess up you still have it at the current state.

To fix you just have to manually inject a proper sector.bin made with the correct OTP, if on Windows you can inject it into a backup with a hex editor then flash the modified image back to the system

If by chance you have a Linux machine you can directly fix it on the 3DS without restore time with the following command just make sure to use the correct of device.

sudo dd if=sector.bin of=/dev/sdb bs=16M seek=$((0x12C00)) oflag=seek_bytes conv=notrunc
why not just do sudo dd if=sector.bin of=/dev/sd# bs=512 seek=$((0x96)), since the 3ds's natural block size is 512 and you have to do less messing around with the oflag thing, since it's sector 0x96 as-is ? (Just curious)

EmuAGR

Trophies
XP
Country

Do you have the right OTP file? You said you had the wrong one, but nothing about the right one...

shadowofdarkness

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
why not just do sudo dd if=sector.bin of=/dev/sd# bs=512 seek=$((0x96)), since the 3ds's natural block size is 512 and you have to do less messing around with the oflag thing, since it's sector 0x96 as-is ? (Just curious)

I just had the command for use with a bigger section where the time savings from a bigger bs is larger, and quickly converted it for that sector. At that small I guess the time savings are not as big of a deal.

AlucardjX

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
How is possible that you used a wrong Otp file???seriously mate but: are you sleeping when you're doing the process???damn...

stl25

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How is possible that you used a wrong Otp file???seriously mate but: are you sleeping when you're doing the process???damn...

He must have been doing multiple systems at once and got the files mixed up or decided to forgo instructions and installed using an OTP.bin from the internet. Either way, not his finest moment.

AlucardjX

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
He must have been doing multiple systems at once and got the files mixed up or decided to forgo instructions and installed using an OTP.bin from the internet. Either way, not his finest moment.
i'll sorry for him but when doing that thing's you MUST be prepared and organized,creating multiple folder on PC and renaming all that is needed in the right way etcc...hope that he find a solution! :)

Reactions: stl25

stl25

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i'll sorry for him but when doing that thing's you MUST be prepared and organized,creating multiple folder on PC and renaming all that is needed in the right way etcc...hope that he find a solution! :)

Agreed, I did each of my 3 systems 1 at a time and did each step and labeled everything and created text files with the SHA-256 of each OTP.bin and which system it came from. I did 2 N3DSXL and 1 O3DSXL.

Reactions: AlucardjX

Roboman

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you had emunand that is usually considered a valid 'backup'.
If so you should try just dumping it and flashing it.

D

Deleted User

Then there's really nothing you can do in this situation. If you don't have ANY backups (before the A9LH process, or emuNAND), and don't have the CORRECT OTP file, you've got a paperweight on your hands.
If you had the correct OTP, you could at least work with regenerating the secret sector, but without it, the console is pretty much unbootable as is

No OTP, No backups = buy a new one =(

Last edited by ,

SanchezTG

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you had emunand that is usually considered a valid 'backup'.
If so you should try just dumping it and flashing it.
Don't have that either. All I have are the wrong OTP file, and the (hopefully not permanently) bricked O3DS on 9.2 with the Hard Mod installed.

Ricken

Searching for the air to breathe~
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have to ask...
How did you get back to 9.2 after dumping the OTP?

EDIT; Wait, you didn't dump it for the right system, did you?

Swiftloke

Hwaaaa!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Other people have already said it but I feel the need to say:
Why,why,why? Why did you not have a nand dump? Why did you use the WRONG FRIGGIN OTP?
*Facepalms* smh

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Att did offer a $500gc tempting to use it for 6 months and cancel