Hacking HELP!! i cannot for the life of me figure out how to get Hekate UMS to work

Vigilant_Veggie

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey all, I have been trying for hours now to get USB mass storage to work on hekate on my switch. im using the latest version of hekate. essentially, my PC will not recognize the switch as a usable USB device. It says its there but cant use it. I have tried updating and manually assigning numerous different drivers to it and nothing has worked so far. can someone point me to an exact driver or way to get UMS to work?? thank you for your input

binkinator

Garfield’s Fitness Coach
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey all, I have been trying for hours now to get USB mass storage to work on hekate on my switch. im using the latest version of hekate. essentially, my PC will not recognize the switch as a usable USB device. It says its there but cant use it. I have tried updating and manually assigning numerous different drivers to it and nothing has worked so far. can someone point me to an exact driver or way to get UMS to work?? thank you for your input
Have you checked out things like this?

https://github.com/CTCaer/hekate/issues/721

General gist is other multi adaptor usb devices plugged in to the PC and causing issues for Switch.

• Love
Reactions: bisquit and impeeza

Vigilant_Veggie

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Have you checked out things like this?

https://github.com/CTCaer/hekate/issues/721

General gist is other multi adaptor usb devices plugged in to the PC and causing issues for Switch.
Okay, thank you for the tip. Im at work rn but i will try this later when i get home, I did have an external 2TB harddrive plugged into my computer at the time so i will remove it and see if my computer will connect to the switch then

Reactions: binkinator

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You need libusbk you can try the following to troubleshoot your driver issue.

1. Get your Switch into RCM mode and plug it into your Windows PC. It should show up somewhere (like Device manager) as "APX"
  2. Download and run Zadig driver installer from https://zadig.akeo.ie/
  3. From the device list, choose APX (if it's not showing up in the list, go to Options menu and check List All Devices)
  4. For the driver type, cycle the arrows until you see libusbK (v3.0.7.0) in the text box (IMPORTANT!)
  5. Click the big Install Driver button. Device manager should now show "APX" under libusbK USB Devices tree item.

Vigilant_Veggie

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You need libusbk you can try the following to troubleshoot your driver issue.

1. Get your Switch into RCM mode and plug it into your Windows PC. It should show up somewhere (like Device manager) as "APX"
  2. Download and run Zadig driver installer from https://zadig.akeo.ie/
  3. From the device list, choose APX (if it's not showing up in the list, go to Options menu and check List All Devices)
  4. For the driver type, cycle the arrows until you see libusbK (v3.0.7.0) in the text box (IMPORTANT!)
  5. Click the big Install Driver button. Device manager should now show "APX" under libusbK USB Devices tree item.
Okay, so I have some updates.

My device, when sitting at the standard hekate menu, registers to my PC as an APX device under the libusbk usb device group. However, as soon as I use the UMS feature of Hekate, my computer will no longer register the switch at all, not even as an unknown device. It doesnt pop up period.

I did, separately, get memloader v3 to work, which causes my computer to read the switch as a mobile device and gives me access to the SD, but UMS through hekate still wont work even with memloader set up.

What am I doing wrong?? I've been racking my brain for days now trying to figure this out.

I really, really want to get this working so that way I can flash android on to my switch right after I partition the SD card through hekate.

binkinator

Garfield’s Fitness Coach
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay, so I have some updates.

My device, when sitting at the standard hekate menu, registers to my PC as an APX device under the libusbk usb device group. However, as soon as I use the UMS feature of Hekate, my computer will no longer register the switch at all, not even as an unknown device. It doesnt pop up period.

I did, separately, get memloader v3 to work, which causes my computer to read the switch as a mobile device and gives me access to the SD, but UMS through hekate still wont work even with memloader set up.

What am I doing wrong?? I've been racking my brain for days now trying to figure this out.

I really, really want to get this working so that way I can flash android on to my switch right after I partition the SD card through hekate.
were you able to replace the driver as indicated by @Hayato213 while the device was available as APX?

Another thing to try is to install the Tinfoil driver here:

https://github.com/blawar/nut/releases

Vigilant_Veggie

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
were you able to replace the driver as indicated by @Hayato213 while the device was available as APX?

Another thing to try is to install the Tinfoil driver here:

https://github.com/blawar/nut/releases
I believe that the driver was set correctly as it did list the driver as being the libusbK one, however I'll double check after work and make sure that its the correct file.

I also, after referencing a different forum post on reddit, did download NUT and installed those drivers onto my computer, which doesn't seem to have helped.

When you guys use UMS through hekate, does it just automatically pop-up on your computer as a USB device or is there any other steps that you take like injecting an additional payload or something?

l7777

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Unless I'm mistaken, the libusbk driver is for MTP connections (Tinfoil, DBI, etc...). USB mass store should not need any drivers as it would present as a normal USB storage device.

@OP, have you changed cables? Try a USB C -> C Cable and a USB A -> C cable and different USB Ports. If you can, verify that the cables works with another device. Might be worth getting a fresh copy of Hekate as well. Does MTP work?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-12-15 120116.png
    Screenshot 2022-12-15 120116.png
    86.4 KB · Views: 47
  • Screenshot 2022-12-15 120049.png
    Screenshot 2022-12-15 120049.png
    46.5 KB · Views: 52
Last edited by l7777,

Vigilant_Veggie

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Unless I'm mistaken, the libusbk driver is for MTP connections (Tinfoil, DBI, etc...). USB mass store should not need any drivers as it would present as a normal USB storage device.

@OP, have you changed cables? Try a USB C -> C Cable and a USB A -> C cable and different USB Ports. If you can, verify that the cables works with another device. Might be worth getting a fresh copy of Hekate as well. Does MTP wo
So far I have tried two different USB A-C cables but to no avail. I have not tried using a USB C-C cable, im pretty sure my computer has a Type C slot so that is also something worth experimenting with.

I have not been able to get my computer to register the device as a "hekate raw sd usb device", it doesnt even ping an "unknown device" once UMS is activated through hekate
Post automatically merged:

Are you guys using the newest release of hekate? I am, and so far I have confirmed that my driver is the correct one and have tried using a USB C to C, and still UMS does not work. Its like the screen freezes and goes faint and the only thing I can do is turn the console off. I am pretty stumped at this point and may have to call it quits on this for now, it's not completely necessary but I would like to get this working

EDIT: SOLVED

I had to not only do a combination of everything you guys recommended, such as getting the correct driver and a better cable, but I edited the nyx.ini config file and changed the value from bpmpclock=1 to bpmpclock=2, and then magically, it worked. Thank you all so much for your advice and input, I am super grateful to have gotten this working ^.^

Last edited by Vigilant_Veggie,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: well.. Sorta new :)