Help for a scrub....

Discussion in '3DS - Homebrew Development and Emulators' started by CrimsonKing1538, Mar 28, 2016.

1. CrimsonKing1538
    OP

CrimsonKing1538 Member

Newcomer
    Mar 28, 2016
    United States
    Hey guys, so I'm currently running homebrew on an O3DS on 10.5, and just found out I can downgrade to 9.2, so I'm gonna give it a shot. Any tips or advice on how to do it? Also, what can I do on 9.2 that I can't on 10.5?

2. xtheman

xtheman GBAtemp Guru

Jan 28, 2016
    United States
    Run backups and roms. Install cfw. Have full kernel access. Do whatever dafuc you want to the software.

3. CrimsonKing1538
    OP

CrimsonKing1538 Member

Newcomer
    Mar 28, 2016
    United States
    I know about cfw. By roms and backups do you means emulators? And I'm assuming full kernal access means I won't be operating in userland anymore?

4. TheVinAnator

TheVinAnator GBATemp's Greatest Vin

Jan 10, 2016
    Canada
    NO COFFEI!
    3ds roms and emulators alike although they would be better if on n3ds and kernel basically is access to mostly anything if you feel like not sure what you mean about user land it's just an addition in a way

5. xtheman

xtheman GBAtemp Guru

Jan 28, 2016
    United States
    Roms and backups of 3ds games. Sorta. But for the most part yes.

6. CrimsonKing1538
    OP

CrimsonKing1538 Member

Newcomer
    Mar 28, 2016
    United States
    Awesome, thanks. Still a little bit scared to downgrade till I research more. Bricking isn't fun.

7. xtheman

xtheman GBAtemp Guru

Jan 28, 2016
    United States
    If you follow this guide exactly you should have nothing to worry about.

8. chaoticdarkness

chaoticdarkness Member

Newcomer
    Sep 14, 2009
    United States
    Wouldn't you still need a Gateway for running 3ds roms?

9. TheVinAnator

TheVinAnator GBATemp's Greatest Vin

Jan 10, 2016
    Canada
    NO COFFEI!
    nope

10. Seriel

Seriel Worshipper of Skiddos

Aug 18, 2015
    Not if you install them as a .cia

11. chaoticdarkness

chaoticdarkness Member

Newcomer
    Sep 14, 2009
    United States
    From what I've been reading, you can only install them if they're "legit" or "signed" .cia files. I'm a little shaky on the subject, just started reading as much as I could today since I'm in a similar sitch to the OP, except on 10.7.

I have a few questions of my own though, assuming I downgrade:
    • Would I have to boot into a cfw like AuReiNand or Cakes EVERY TIME I want to do anything with homebrew, or would it auto load when I press the power button on my console? If I don't, I'll read more into it myself.
    Simple yes/no answers are fine, I don't want to be spoonfed too hard.

EDIT: Never mind, I found what I was looking for after posting this.

Last edited by chaoticdarkness, Mar 28, 2016
  12. Seriel

Seriel Worshipper of Skiddos

Aug 18, 2015
    If youre on 10.7 they need to be legit or signed, but with 9.2 and cfw it doesnt matter.

Yes, unless you installl A9LH, then it will load when you turn on the console (Seconds after pressing the power button)

chaoticdarkness likes this.
  13. chaoticdarkness

chaoticdarkness Member

Newcomer
    Sep 14, 2009
    United States
    I found what I was looking for but this cemented it more for me. Thanks a ton!

Seriel likes this.
  14. CrimsonKing1538
    OP

CrimsonKing1538 Member

Newcomer
    Mar 28, 2016
    United States
    Bit of a basic software newb question. I want to format my 3ds. I know this will delete all saves and games on the 3ds (which is 0), but it also says everything on my ad will be "invalidated." How does this work? Will my saves still function or no?

15. seb5049

seb5049 GBAtemp Regular

Feb 25, 2015
    https://github.com/Plailect/Guide/wiki All you need. Explains downgrading, as well as getting your OTP and installing arm9loaderhax. Just make sure you follow every step and by the end of the guide you'll be able to use your 3DS as normal (including updating your system) as well as having access to every homebrew app there is.

16. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    I used this guide for downgrading to 9.2: https://github.com/Plailect/Guide/wiki
    The guide uses PlaiSysUpdater, a fork of SafeSysUpdater that aims to actually be safe (which as it turns out SafeSysUpdater was not)
    The downgrade went fine, no softbrick though I did get an "an error has occurred" message and had to reboot with the SD card out and rerun the downgrade to downgrade the last title. The exploit does seem to be more stable though, as it worked on the first try both times from menuhax (it's still unstable with browserhax and failed 3 times in a row so I went and reinstalled menuhax)
    Downgrading seems relatively safe at this point. I can certainly recommend this guide after my success with it. It also has instructions for a9lh if you want to install that, though the install of that is more risky there haven't been many reported bricks from it.

17. CrimsonKing1538
    OP

CrimsonKing1538 Member

Newcomer
    Mar 28, 2016
    United States
    Awesome, thanks again. I finally managed to get browserhax to work after formatting and IMMEDIATLY reinstalled menuhax. F*** that noise. Going to give the guide a look. Hoping to learn more about the 9.2 exclusive stuff like emuNand.
    Edit: if I wanted to use that guide but install AuReiNand instead, what would I do?

Last edited by CrimsonKing1538, Mar 28, 2016
  18. GBAFail

GBAFail Smell my finger.

Oct 26, 2015
    United States
    Uranus
    You can also use Menuhax to boot into CFW without pressing any buttons. I'd recommend that until you're familiar with something like this enough to tackle A9LH.

19. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    There are install instructions for AuReiNand at the end. Cakes is just used for the downgrade/OTP part. If you're not installing a9lh you can use AuReiNand for the entire guide. Otherwise, you should follow the guide exactly and use cakes, best not mess with what's known to work. AuReiNand pretty easy to install, so you shouldn't need a guide for that. Just download the latest AuReiNand and place the files on the SD, then download the firms from the github page and place firmware.bin (and optionally firmware90.bin) in the aurei folder.

Last edited by The Real Jdbye, Mar 28, 2016
  20. Link_of_Hyrule

Link_of_Hyrule GBAtemp Fan

Jun 28, 2008
    United States
    Hyrule
    @CrimsonKing1538 do yourself a favor and do the whole guide to get a9lh it's a lot harder but well worth it!