Help: emulation mini PC (gamcube/ps2)

Creamu

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
Hello my friends,

the things happening these days scare me. I want to retreat to my secret hideout. For this I need a small, ventless, lowenergy PC that can handle emulation up to ps2 and gamecube. Used market is an option. What models would you recommend and what should I expect to pay?

Thank you very much and stay save.

Magsor

I am watching you
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
M1 mac mini you can play PS3 and probably ps4 when it comes out. its 700 for the base model tough. for the same price you can get a gaming laptop i recommend having a video card for any gaming. If this over your budget then there is probably good alternatives just let us know a bit what you had in mind.

Reactions: Creamu

Kazesama

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the raspberry pi 4 can get decent speeds for some gamecube and ps2 games, I assume the next iterations will be better. If budget is not a problem, you could try those ryzen mini pc

Creamu

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
Thank you for the responses.
Ventless is going to be hard, you can go with Lenovo Mini 2.8GHz i3/i5/i7

Looks good. Thanks for the tip.

Vent is okay as long it is quiet and the overall power consumption is low.
M1 mac mini you can play PS3 and probably ps4 when it comes out. its 700 for the base model tough. for the same price you can get a gaming laptop i recommend having a video card for any gaming. If this over your budget then there is probably good alternatives just let us know a bit what you had in mind.
PS3 I am not all that interested in. I want to go for gamecube at most.

I need something that lets me run two monitors at once at 1080p. I want to play ps2 games while watching twitch on the other screen. More than that I dont need. I would prefer windows, that is what I am familiar with.

I rather have low powerconsumption that a powerful performace. I only do basic stuff + retro gaming (up to gamecube/ps2)
the raspberry pi 4 can get decent speeds for some gamecube and ps2 games, I assume the next iterations will be better. If budget is not a problem, you could try those ryzen mini pc
I like the idea of going for a pi 4 but it is not quite there. I hope they go for a upgrade that is substanital enough to run current windows without issues and allowing for ps2 emulation.

Magsor

I am watching you
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
If you watch the video he said its not great for ps2. Truthfully you need a good machine to run ps2 emulation; its just as hard as emulating the switch(but less than ps3). Even more if you want to have a separate windows running video. Look for any vulkan compatible computer as it's just been added to pcsx2 and its "theoritically" much more efficient. Don't go for anything with less than 8 gb of ram of course.

Creamu

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
If you watch the video he said its not great for ps2. Truthfully you need a good machine to run ps2 emulation; its just as hard as emulating the switch(but less than ps3). Even more if you want to have a separate windows running video. Look for any vulkan compatible computer as it's just been added to pcsx2 and its "theoritically" much more efficient. Don't go for anything with less than 8 gb of ram of course.
Thank you for the clarification. I was not aware that the ps2 is so challening to emulate. So if I go for a system that properly emulates ps2 I can also emulate switch. Very intersting.

8gb ram and vulkan compatiblity. If someone knows about a unit I can pickup used please let me know.

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank you for the clarification. I was not aware that the ps2 is so challening to emulate. So if I go for a system that properly emulates ps2 I can also emulate switch. Very intersting.

8gb ram and vulkan compatiblity. If someone knows about a unit I can pickup used please let me know.

Probably looks on site that sell used electronics like ebay

SuperNintendo64

Trophies
XP
Country
Bulgaria
Well im also looking for a mini pc right now

Of course i want the cheapest option possible, but since this will be a one time only buy i also want to get the best possible deal

Objectives:
Set the mini pc on my living room tv.
Netflix Prime video Kodi, all with surround sound
Play current PC games and emulation, specially PS2, ogXBOX and Switch emulation

The ones im looking into right now:

Beelink SER4
Ryzen 7 4800
AMD Radeon™Gráficos 8core1750 MHZ
link

Beelink GTR5
AMD Ryzen™9 5900HX 3.3-4.6GHz 8C/16TL2 4MBL3 16MB
AMD Radeon™Gráficos 8core2100 MHz
Link

Chaterey G1
Intel i9 8950
GTX 1650
Link

Obviously the SER 4 is the cheapest and the Chatery is the most expensive
My question - as someone who knows nothing about pc - is, does it really makes that much difference between those 3 for games and streaming? Because the price gap is pretty large

Magsor

I am watching you
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Well im also looking for a mini pc right now

Of course i want the cheapest option possible, but since this will be a one time only buy i also want to get the best possible deal

Objectives:
Set the mini pc on my living room tv.
Netflix Prime video Kodi, all with surround sound
Play current PC games and emulation, specially PS2, ogXBOX and Switch emulation

The ones im looking into right now:

Beelink SER4
Ryzen 7 4800
AMD Radeon™Gráficos 8core1750 MHZ
link

Beelink GTR5
AMD Ryzen™9 5900HX 3.3-4.6GHz 8C/16TL2 4MBL3 16MB
AMD Radeon™Gráficos 8core2100 MHz
Link

Chaterey G1
Intel i9 8950
GTX 1650
Link

Obviously the SER 4 is the cheapest and the Chatery is the most expensive
My question - as someone who knows nothing about pc - is, does it really makes that much difference between those 3 for games and streaming? Because the price gap is pretty large

Almost no differences. You will find that the laptop i linked earlier does also have almost the same performances for a lower price. So just add a new ssd and more ram and you are set. None of these systems are powerful enough for og xbox.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: this one +1