Click This

Surgite!
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I bought a broken DS Lite off eBay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/370586003826
Item is faulty. When switched on the consoles green light flashes then switches back off. I had a look inside and also misplaced the tiny flap for the display ribbon. Console is cosmetically mint. Only used a little. Screen and body are in perfect condition.

I initially thought it was a broken fuse, but I'm no longer sure after a quick diagnostic run.
The bottom screen powers on briefly but not the top screen(Likely the top screen ribbon was "misplaced", and the power light briefly comes on.
Interestingly, the unit charges just fine. I haven't had a chance to look inside yet, as my triwing screwdriver is still in the post, but I should be getting it soon.

What do guys you think is wrong with it? Fuse? Or simply a broken screen?

Click This

Surgite!
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok, I ended up being able to take it apart without Triwing screws.
It doesn't seem to be a fuse problem.
The P6 connecter is indeed broken, the latch is gone.
I can't get it to work even if I press the ribbon onto the P6 and try turning the DS on at the same time --I get the same results as I did above.
Any advice?
Can this thing be saved without replacing the motherboard?

EDIT: I *am* willing to replace the motherboard/send the DS to a repair store for repair.
Since the DS is Japanese, I also need to know if any old motherboard would be compatible with it.
Also, where is the BIOS/Firmware chip located in the DS?

Psyfira

Credit: 0ml. Insert tea to continue
Trophies
XP
Country
I'm no expert but it sounds like the top screen is definitely part of the problem. The DS does a hardware check when you turn it on, and if something is missing it shuts off (which is why you see the bottom screen and the power light flash, but not the top screen if it's not responding).

The question is; was this screen broken in the first place before this genius broke the ribbon cable clip, or is there a second issue? Breaking the clip that holds the ribbon cable down sounds bad (if I'm reading that part right), I'm not sure you can replace that clip without doing the whole motherboard and I don't know if you can get the cable to stay in place without it (worth getting a second opinion on that though as I've never taken one apart myself).

Click This

Surgite!
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've tried pressing the ribbon onto the P6 connecter, taping it, and pressing it down with a flathead screwdriver while trying to turn it on, and I still get the boot failure.
It could be very likely the top screen was broken in the first place, but from the front, it looks fine cosmetically(I haven't had a look at the back of the screen yet).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Brb