Hacking Help Deciding on a First Flashcart?

TerrificTorkoal

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
After deciding myself that, for simply playing purposes, the CycloDS is too much for me, I've narrowed it down to these three.

I'm primarily using this to play games, of course (probably only). I also will probably using WiFi often, but none of these cards seem to show any faults (from a skim at their respective boards)

A lot of people have been saying that the Acekard is a step above the other two, which sounds great when piled onto its good support that people say it has. However, I'm not liking the sturdiness; the AK2 review has stated that its not up to par on the actual build. Hardiness is good for me; I want something that will last for a long long time, especially since I have a toddler in the house >_>. She probably won't mess with my DS being up high, but just as a precaution.

The EDGE (or CycloDS clone xD) seems to be the sturdiest, which is just great. What I hear on support from other threads differ, but physical sturdiness seems to be the best from the reviews.

DSTT is just plain cheap, sturdy, and also seems to have good support. Which is all good. Plus, TT looks cool 8D
I don't like the auto-pilot straight into the GUI though.

Now, what I want to ask is, which one will last the longest? I don't want support on a card to just drop on a dime with a new card, but I don't want a card to be broken physically. So, which would you suggest from usage?

Thanks in advanced,
TerrificTorkoal

CorruptJon

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Build Quality: EDGE
Team Support: Acekard 2
Price + Ease of Use: TTDS

Take your pick, as all three are great, and will last you a long time.

Rayder

Mostly lurking lately....
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't know, but I would avoid clones. Go for the DSTT or AceKard2. Flip a coin and take your chances. I really couldn't tell you which is better though.

Bri

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
The Acekard 2 is far better than the DSTT. I have both.

Your flash cart will remain inside your NDS most of the time, so sturdiness probably isn't going to be much of an issue.

That said, it's true that the Acekard 2 doesn't feel as "sturdy" as the DSTT, mostly because it's held together with plastic clips instead of glued shut like the DSTT. But the Acekard 2 isn't going to fall apart on your either. I imagine you could throw one across the room and have it hit the wall and it would probably still work (not that I'd recommend it). You could certainly drop it on the floor without it breaking.

And honestly, flash carts aren't so expensive that I'd worry so much about breaking one that I'd settle for an inferior cart because it seemed more "sturdy" than another one.

-Bri

TerrificTorkoal

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
After viewing the the AK2 forums some more, I found that the faulty card problem hasn't been fixed yet
frown.gif

I do like the AK2 a lot from what I've heard (Easy, awesome GUI, best support of the three), but is it worth the risk?

Bri

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
As far as I know, the faulty card problem has been fixed in the latest batches. According to OzModChips, they sold over 100 from the last batch and none have been returned. It is possible that some stores are still unloading old inventory, but if you buy from a reputable dealer that sells in large volume like dealextreme.com you should get a good one.

If you happen to get a bad one, dealextreme.com and other reputable stores are aware of the problem and have been very good about exchanging them.

-Bri

tedmg09130913

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
there are many reports of the cyclods evo flashcart team providing great support for their card. If you value regular updates and a team that listens to its users requests, you might want to reconsider the cyclods evo.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: I have a number of geriatric relatives.