Hello, I'm an internet archivist

ProfessorApple

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Since August of 2020 I've been spending a good chunk of my free time searching for old Minecraft versions that are lost, i.e. were playable back in 2009/2010 but have since become unaccounted for. Since doing this alone would be quite difficult, us OG Minecraft enthusiasts coordinate our search to find people who may have missing versions, mostly the 2009/2010 players themselves.

I've personally been quite successful, having found 0.0.17a, Alpha v1.1.1, 0.0.19a_04, and 0.0.20a_02, along with a bunch of old worlds, including a very early world that was donated to us by the ex-wife of the creator of Minecraft.

The reason why I've joined is because of this very old gbatemp thread, from June 15 2009 called "Maybe the best game i have ever played". The thread is from less than a month after Minecraft was even a public Alpha.

I know some of the people from that thread are still active. You may still have JARs cached in your temp folder in various subfolders with Minecraft in their names. JAR files can remain in the temp folder for years without your knowledge and we have recovered missing versions through this method from people who weren’t even aware they had them (e.g. 0.0.12a_03, Alpha v1.1.1).

Basically, any Minecraft related media you may have from the time like screenshots, mods, worlds, tools, or even IRC logs are historically significant and worth archiving.

Cheers,

ProfessorApple, with Omniarchive

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto