ROM Hack HearGold Retro Music Question

_Chaz_

GBAtemp's Official Mook™
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, most of us have used the GB Sounds by now I assume.
And we have noticed that the "retro music" is not the same as it was in G/S/C.

I was wondering if it's even possible to change that with a hack.

If someone had the original tunes, would they be able to swap them in place of the new ones?

I have no intention of doing this as I wouldn't even know how to start, I was just curious (and maybe planting the idea into someone else's head
ninja.gif
).

Poryhack

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have it but haven't messed with it much. How are they different?

It is possible to change music with a ROM hack, but it's not really a matter of swapping in anything (unless you happen to have it in the DS's proprietary format already). The first step would be to get the original sounds as a combination of MIDI and DLS (or some other soundfontish) files. Not sure exactly where to go from there but I think it's doable.

CrashmanX

Current project: Gundam AGE Universe Accel
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sounds do-able. Though the actual process is a whole other story. I would love to see someone manage to make this. Hell, if I knew how, I would have done this ages ago.

_Chaz_

GBAtemp's Official Mook™
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's just it. I know it sounds do-able, but it also sounds intimidating as well.

A simple sound mod shouldn't be too difficult, but the process sounds complicated.

9th_Sage

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
The Gameboy/Gameboy Color are fully synth. No 'tracked' music like the majority of DS music is. You'll probably have to make a bunch of decent GB instruments then transcribe the tracks into whatever format the DS needs them in. Sounds like a lot of work to me since I don't think there's an easy way to 'make a midi' of the GB tracks, you'd have to do it by ear (maybe you could get the notes if you disassembled the original game? I dunno).

Hm, the DS does have some kind of 'sound generators' but I don't know how the DS uses them (or not) in it's usual music format (with the sdat and everything).

TSPhoenix

Trophies
XP
Country
Pokemon games used sequenced music, much like sheet music, and how it sounds depends on what 'instrument' is playing it. Since the GBC and DS have different 'instruments' they can't sound exactly the same unless the DS uses a wave-type format, which would take up too much space.

Poryhack

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
TSPhoenix said:
Pokemon games used sequenced music, much like sheet music, and how it sounds depends on what 'instrument' is playing it. Since the GBC and DS have different 'instruments' they can't sound exactly the same unless the DS uses a wave-type format, which would take up too much space.
There's nothing magical about the instruments. You can change them just like you change the sequenced music.

9th_Sage

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
TSPhoenix said:
Right. That's why you'd have to try to make a GB/GBC instrument set.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: lol, uh no