Have a cup of joe!
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I just got 400 dollars for my birth day. I want to know what the best pair of headphones would be? Personal experience would be helpful.
smile.gif

S

ScuberSteve

I don't think I can say what's "best", but I'll tell you now:

AVOID SKULLCANDY.

cupajoe

Have a cup of joe!
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
ScuberSteve said:

AVOID SKULLCANDY.
I made the mistake of getting a pair of over-the-ears skull candies, worst purchase I've made in awhile. I know bose makes quality products, but they are over priced in my opinion. Any other suggestions?

Twiffles

танковые победы
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Depends what you're planning to use the headphones for, really.
I like the Sennheiser HD 600, I personally don't own them but I've used them before. Pretty awesome.
HD600.jpg

cupajoe

Have a cup of joe!
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
WelshLadGriff said:
Go for Creative if you like in-ear headphones with noise cancellation.
What model again?.... EP-630 are good ones to use, since i have them myself =3
I'm looking more for over the ear cancellation.

ojsinnerz.

Damned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
cupajoe38 said:
ScuberSteve said:

AVOID SKULLCANDY.
I made the mistake of getting a pair of over-the-ears skull candies, worst purchase I've made in awhile. I know bose makes quality products, but they are over priced in my opinion. Any other suggestions?

>Bose
>Quality

DOES NOT COMPUTE. I've heard their 179 dollared model, the quiet comfort 2, I believe, and wasn't too impressed. Indeed, it was better than my Koss porta pro (Only 40 bucks. Very good for the price. However, very bass heavy, while not having too detailed bass. Still, it has good warmth, and etc), but it really lacked quite a few stuff to be sold at that price range. I just don't hear the $130 dollar difference. Even the Grado SR60 will probably beat most of the bose products (maybe except their most expensive models).

Also, I've been doing research on IEMS for years now, and tell me what kind of music you listen to. Maybe I can tell you detailed stuff.

I personally recommend Shure, Westone, and Ultimate Ears products.

However, if you're looking for headphones, I recommend grados. They're not very comfortable, but the amazing sound makes up for it. But another downside of Grados are that their models leak sound, as well as not isolating anything.

EDIT: Lastly, if you're trying to use good headphones, I also recommend buying Amps. They improve the SQ (Depending on the Amp itself.), volume, cuts out the static in the background, and a few more improvements.

EDIT 2:http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/headphone-buyers-guide-271258/
That's a guide for buying good headphones.

WelshLadGriff

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
cupajoe38 said:
I'm looking more for over the ear cancellation.

Ah, Well I can't really help you much there, Since over-the-ear headphones numb my ears after a while and they do tend to ache so I use in-ear ones instead, But if you were intrested, the cheapest i've seen them brand new is about £3.

silent sniper

!dennaB
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
get some Bose quietcomfort headphones. Great noise cancellation, great bass and great sound quality. Also $399 for QC 3 and $349 for QC 2

just realize they are kinda ugly

Note: quietcomfort 2 are over-ear, quietcomfort 3 are on-ear.

ojsinnerz.

Damned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
silent sniper said:
get some Bose quietcomfort headphones. Great noise cancellation, great bass and great sound quality. Also $399 for QC 3 and $349 for QC 2

just realize they are kinda ugly

Note: quietcomfort 2 are over-ear, quietcomfort 3 are on-ear.

The QC3 requires batteries, and the sound quality for what you get isn't top notch. You can get better headphones in that price range.

PS. I'm very against Bose, as you can already see. I've tried few of their models, and I really don't find them so impressive. The triport (earbuds) was terrible.(Bass, and absolutely nothing else. Should be worth 40 dollars, not 100), Bose overprices their products for what you get, and some consumers still like them nonetheless. Mainly, because the major consumers just buy Ipods and just use the earbuds that come with it. In stores around, they see Bose, and they think they're good, because they're expensive, and sounds great (Remind you, they were using the stock earbuds, which are pitiful).

Also, Canadian Retail stores barely sell anything good. Futureshop sells Shure, but they're barely advertised, and hard to find. Bose is everywhere. Bestbuy is a little better, but still terrible. The Source has nothing, and so on. Lastly, in Canada, Sennheiser PX100s are 90 bucks, plus tax. On the internet, you can get them for 35 bucks, brand new. So, I really recommend not buying stuff from Canadian stores, unless they go into a big sale of sort.

Just do some research around Anythingbutipod, or headfi.org forums. They will help you make good choices. Bose sucks, their products aren't worth buying, and etc.

QUOTE(shaunj66 @ Jul 6 2008, 10:02 PM) Creative EP 630 are the BEST earphones I've ever used. Brilliant brilliant brilliant!

Aren't they the OEM Sennheiser CX300s? They're still excellent, but just don't buy them in a Canadian retailer store, for you'll have to spend a 100 bucks just for the sennheiser CX300s, while you can get Genuine CX300s for only 30-40 dollars everywhere else.

Lastly, I'll recommend the Sennheiser HD600s as well. However, if you think they're too big, there are also other options available.

fischju

Rehabilitated Jaywalker
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
ojsinnerz said:
shaunj66 said:
Creative EP 630 are the BEST earphones I've ever used. Brilliant brilliant brilliant!

Aren't they the OEM Sennheiser CX300s? They're still excellent, but just don't buy them in a Canadian retailer store, for you'll have to spend a 100 bucks just for the sennheiser CX300s, while you can get Genuine CX300s for only 30-40 dollars everywhere else.

Yea, they are. I got some on amazon for $30 a while back and use with my archos, great earbuds. (Are they called canalphones now?)

layzieyez

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I own some sennheiser 555 and if I listen to them through my stereo receiver and live rock albums (like the Jimi Hendrix boxset) it sounds like I'm front row center in a concert. If you're headphone shopping, you really need to see this site: http://www.headphone.com/ True audiophile advice. I also own the airhead headphone amp to use with the 555's when I'm on a business trip.

ojsinnerz.

Damned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
cupajoe38 said:
I hear the sennheiser hd600s aren't ideal for bass. Do you know any headphones with good bass too?

The Koss porta pro is full of bass. I'm using one right now. They're very good, but some say the bass on this is overwhelming. IMO, after the burn-in, the amount of bass feels a little more than enough, not overboard. Good sound, and etc. It also comes with a lifetime warrenty. However, they don't isolate noises, and do leak (Surprisingly little amount) sounds. They're only 40 bucks too.

If you want detailed bass, I heard Grado products are great. Don't get the Grado SR80, for it requires an amp to make it sound good. The Grado SR225 is good for Rock, etc, that's what I've heard. If I find something good in that range, I'll make sure you know.

There's aso the Ultrason HFI-780, which has some punchy bass.
Here's the review of it: http://www.anythingbutipod.com/archives/20...-780-review.php

If you want an In-ear Monitors/ IEMS (The ones that go deep in your ear to isolate noises, etc) There's also the Ultimate ears super fi 5 EB. It's the cheapest dual-drivered IEMS, and it's nothing but bass, some say.

Vater Unser

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I'm quite pleased with my Sennheiser HD-25 phones:
1zx1a11.jpg

I think they cost like $180 in the US...
They're lightweight (maybe the lightest closed headphones you'll find in this price class), compact, sturdy as hell, got heavy noise cancellation and every part, including the speakers, can be replaced (there are even velours earpads and spiral cords available), so you're not fucked if anything breaks or wears off...I've had mine for well over 2 years now, so far I had to replace one earpad (a pair cost like 10 bucks - that's better than having to buy a whole new pair of headphones), but other than that they're still as good as new.
They're not as bass-heavy as most other headphones, but instead got a more "linear" sound...That doesn't mean you can't turn up the bass until you ears vibrate, though, so it's nothing an equalizer can't fix
laugh.gif

The bass response is excellent even at very high volumes...according to the tech specs, they go up to 120dBs
ph34r.gif

Of course, the middle and high frequencies sound clear and crisp, too.
Many DJs use them at clubs (actually, many other professionals use them, too), so you can imagine how loud these phones go...
One speaker can be folded back for one-ear listening, which is nice if you have to keep an ear on something else (like the doorbell or the phone), it can be either the left or right one, since you can just switch the speakers if you want to.

The design's kinda plain, but I like that..function goes over design...I like the retro touch
wink2.gif

The only downside is that they can get kinda uncomfy if worn for an hour or so, but maybe that's because I'm wearing glasses...As you can see, the earpads rest on your ears instead of around your ears. But usually they're surprisingly comfortable and got a nice, tight fit...Even a storm won't budge them an inch.

DarkAura

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
shaunj66 said:
Creative EP 630 are the BEST earphones I've ever used. Brilliant brilliant brilliant!
Can you explain why Shaun? Mine recently just died, like the jack is messed up, so I need a new pair, and I loved the ones I had, although the quality sucked but the noise cancellation was pretty good.

These WERE mine:
530R-58-DRNC6.jpg

Like I said, good for noise cancellation, quality is meh.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    MrNoobNub @ MrNoobNub: why is everyone so horny