Headphones

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by cupajoe, Jul 6, 2008.

Jul 6, 2008

Headphones by cupajoe at 8:57 PM (3,772 Views / 0 Likes) 45 replies

1. cupajoe
    OP

Member cupajoe Have a cup of joe!

United States
    I just got 400 dollars for my birth day. I want to know what the best pair of headphones would be? Personal experience would be helpful. [​IMG]

2. ScuberSteve

ScuberSteve Newbie

I don't think I can say what's "best", but I'll tell you now:

AVOID SKULLCANDY.

3. cupajoe
    OP

United States
    I made the mistake of getting a pair of over-the-ears skull candies, worst purchase I've made in awhile. I know bose makes quality products, but they are over priced in my opinion. Any other suggestions?

4. Twiffles

Member Twiffles танковые победы

Germany
    Depends what you're planning to use the headphones for, really.
    I like the Sennheiser HD 600, I personally don't own them but I've used them before. Pretty awesome.
    Warning: Spoilers inside!

5. cupajoe
    OP

United States
    Listening to music?

6. WelshLadGriff

Newcomer WelshLadGriff Member

United Kingdom
    Go for Creative if you like in-ear headphones with noise cancellation.
    What model again?.... EP-630 are good ones to use, since i have them myself =3

7. cupajoe
    OP

United States
    I'm looking more for over the ear cancellation.

8. ojsinnerz.

Member ojsinnerz. Damned

Canada
    >Bose
    >Quality

DOES NOT COMPUTE. I've heard their 179 dollared model, the quiet comfort 2, I believe, and wasn't too impressed. Indeed, it was better than my Koss porta pro (Only 40 bucks. Very good for the price. However, very bass heavy, while not having too detailed bass. Still, it has good warmth, and etc), but it really lacked quite a few stuff to be sold at that price range. I just don't hear the $130 dollar difference. Even the Grado SR60 will probably beat most of the bose products (maybe except their most expensive models).

Also, I've been doing research on IEMS for years now, and tell me what kind of music you listen to. Maybe I can tell you detailed stuff.

I personally recommend Shure, Westone, and Ultimate Ears products.

However, if you're looking for headphones, I recommend grados. They're not very comfortable, but the amazing sound makes up for it. But another downside of Grados are that their models leak sound, as well as not isolating anything.

EDIT: Lastly, if you're trying to use good headphones, I also recommend buying Amps. They improve the SQ (Depending on the Amp itself.), volume, cuts out the static in the background, and a few more improvements.

EDIT 2:http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/headphone-buyers-guide-271258/
    That's a guide for buying good headphones.

9. WelshLadGriff

Newcomer WelshLadGriff Member

United Kingdom
    Ah, Well I can't really help you much there, Since over-the-ear headphones numb my ears after a while and they do tend to ache so I use in-ear ones instead, But if you were intrested, the cheapest i've seen them brand new is about £3.

10. silent sniper

Member silent sniper !dennaB

Canada
    get some Bose quietcomfort headphones. Great noise cancellation, great bass and great sound quality. Also $399 for QC 3 and $349 for QC 2

just realize they are kinda ugly

Note: quietcomfort 2 are over-ear, quietcomfort 3 are on-ear.

11. fischju

Member fischju Rehabilitated Jaywalker

United States
  12. shaunj66

Administrator shaunj66 Administrator

United Kingdom
    Creative EP 630 are the BEST earphones I've ever used. Brilliant brilliant brilliant!

13. Trulen

Member Trulen GBAtemp Fan

United States
  14. ojsinnerz.

Member ojsinnerz. Damned

Canada

Aren't they the OEM Sennheiser CX300s? They're still excellent, but just don't buy them in a Canadian retailer store, for you'll have to spend a 100 bucks just for the sennheiser CX300s, while you can get Genuine CX300s for only 30-40 dollars everywhere else.

Lastly, I'll recommend the Sennheiser HD600s as well. However, if you think they're too big, there are also other options available.

15. cupajoe
    OP

United States
    I hear the sennheiser hd600s aren't ideal for bass. Do you know any headphones with good bass too?

16. fischju

Member fischju Rehabilitated Jaywalker

United States
    Yea, they are. I got some on amazon for $30 a while back and use with my archos, great earbuds. (Are they called canalphones now?)

17. layzieyez

Member layzieyez GBAtemp Fan

United States
    I own some sennheiser 555 and if I listen to them through my stereo receiver and live rock albums (like the Jimi Hendrix boxset) it sounds like I'm front row center in a concert. If you're headphone shopping, you really need to see this site: http://www.headphone.com/ True audiophile advice. I also own the airhead headphone amp to use with the 555's when I'm on a business trip.

18. ojsinnerz.

Member ojsinnerz. Damned

Canada
    The Koss porta pro is full of bass. I'm using one right now. They're very good, but some say the bass on this is overwhelming. IMO, after the burn-in, the amount of bass feels a little more than enough, not overboard. Good sound, and etc. It also comes with a lifetime warrenty. However, they don't isolate noises, and do leak (Surprisingly little amount) sounds. They're only 40 bucks too.

If you want detailed bass, I heard Grado products are great. Don't get the Grado SR80, for it requires an amp to make it sound good. The Grado SR225 is good for Rock, etc, that's what I've heard. If I find something good in that range, I'll make sure you know.

There's aso the Ultrason HFI-780, which has some punchy bass.
    Here's the review of it: http://www.anythingbutipod.com/archives/20...-780-review.php

If you want an In-ear Monitors/ IEMS (The ones that go deep in your ear to isolate noises, etc) There's also the Ultimate ears super fi 5 EB. It's the cheapest dual-drivered IEMS, and it's nothing but bass, some say.

19. Vater Unser

Member Vater Unser GBAtemp Addict

Germany
    I'm quite pleased with my Sennheiser HD-25 phones:
    [​IMG]

I think they cost like $180 in the US...
    They're lightweight (maybe the lightest closed headphones you'll find in this price class), compact, sturdy as hell, got heavy noise cancellation and every part, including the speakers, can be replaced (there are even velours earpads and spiral cords available), so you're not fucked if anything breaks or wears off...I've had mine for well over 2 years now, so far I had to replace one earpad (a pair cost like 10 bucks - that's better than having to buy a whole new pair of headphones), but other than that they're still as good as new.
    They're not as bass-heavy as most other headphones, but instead got a more "linear" sound...That doesn't mean you can't turn up the bass until you ears vibrate, though, so it's nothing an equalizer can't fix [​IMG]
    The bass response is excellent even at very high volumes...according to the tech specs, they go up to 120dBs [​IMG]
    Of course, the middle and high frequencies sound clear and crisp, too.
    Many DJs use them at clubs (actually, many other professionals use them, too), so you can imagine how loud these phones go...
    One speaker can be folded back for one-ear listening, which is nice if you have to keep an ear on something else (like the doorbell or the phone), it can be either the left or right one, since you can just switch the speakers if you want to.

The design's kinda plain, but I like that..function goes over design...I like the retro touch [​IMG]

The only downside is that they can get kinda uncomfy if worn for an hour or so, but maybe that's because I'm wearing glasses...As you can see, the earpads rest on your ears instead of around your ears. But usually they're surprisingly comfortable and got a nice, tight fit...Even a storm won't budge them an inch.

20. DarkAura

Member DarkAura Offline

Canada
    Can you explain why Shaun? Mine recently just died, like the jack is messed up, so I need a new pair, and I loved the ones I had, although the quality sucked but the noise cancellation was pretty good.

These WERE mine:
    [​IMG]

Like I said, good for noise cancellation, quality is meh.