[Headphone jack] What's with all the apple hate?

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
as someone somewhat "deep" into the Apple ecosystem (depends what you think it means), I still think the iPhone 7's removal of the headphone jack was a bit silly. can't be that obsolete when tons and tons of devices still rely on it.

I do hope it pushes the development of bluetooth headphones more however, to make them better. until then, /shrug

mind if I ask what you mean? because macOS has been free of charge for a while now. Apple's been making some of their consumer applications completely free too, like the iWork set.
It's on the more technical side. Like doing custom settings etc. can be really hard if you don't sometimes pay for some specialized software. Not the OS itself.

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
Their hubris to remove the headphone jack is based on the company's values and their vital role in shaping computing over the past several decades.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

They're just paying me in constant security updates for my aging hardware. I'm living the dream.
So you're a fanboy. Not surprising. A blind bias ignoring the several security holes exploited in the past few years alone in your iOS device. Say what you want. Haven't owned an Android that's been rendered unusable via a text message.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Let's compare "old" vs. "new".

"New":

"Old":

I much prefer the "old" keyboard, even though the "new" one is, in fact, newer. (More key travel, better tactile feedback, and curved keycaps, among other things.)

"New" is not necessarily "better".
Lucky for you, most keyboards are still of the classic, chunky type.
I can't stand them myself, but that's because I'm more used to laptops. My typing is much slower on a chunky keyboard and I make a lot more typos. Though that's just a matter of habit/muscle memory, I don't think it actually matters that much what shape the keyboard is once you've used it for a while and gotten used to it. For example, I think we can all agree that netbooks with smaller-than-average keys are awful to type on, but I actually found it perfectly fine to type on (as good as any other keyboard) after being stuck with one for a month.
I take it you don't type that much then. I can't stand the ridiculously flat keyboards, especially when the keycaps are also flat.

Please explain why I have to "move on" from a high-quality IBM Model M to "flat" keyboards.
I type on a keyboard all day and like I mentioned, my typing is much better with a slim keyboard, but it's just a matter of habit. Switching to a different style of keyboard throws off your muscle memory and it takes time to relearn.

GerbilSoft

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I type on a keyboard all day and like I mentioned, my typing is much better with a slim keyboard, but it's just a matter of habit. Switching to a different style of keyboard throws off your muscle memory and it takes time to relearn.
For what it's worth, my main keyboard is actually the one on my ThinkPad X230, which is the "chiclet" style. It's the only chiclet keyboard I've used that's any decent, primarily because the keycaps are curved. Most others are flat. (There's probably some non-ThinkPad chiclet keyboards that aren't flat, but I haven't seen them yet.)

For me, the "muscle memory" thing is more related to keyboard layout than the type of keys. I tried to use a UK-layout keyboard recently and had problems because of the different Enter key and the shorter left-Shift.

Armadillo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I thought the "old" was better because it's a mechanical keyboard, not because of the key shape. Membrane type keyboard with those keys still suck ass. Mech keyboard ftw.

SLiV3R

3DS Friend Code: 0473-9069-2206
Trophies
Website
soundcloud.com
XP
Country
I have been an android user for almost 10 years.
Bought iPhone 6 And iPad PRO 13 " last summer.
I really like Apple.
I wont come back to android for many years to come.
I want the new iPhone 8 with the screen that covers the whole phone!

Reactions: Saiyan Lusitano

Haymose

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm a little bit confused why ppl can't settle with using the adapter. Like you can just leave it attached to your headphones. I guess you wouldn't be able to charge at the same time but why would anyone need to do that?

GerbilSoft

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I thought the "old" was better because it's a mechanical keyboard, not because of the key shape. Membrane type keyboard with those keys still suck ass. Mech keyboard ftw.
It's a bit of everything. There are some later Model Ms with rubber dome contacts. They aren't clicky like the buckling-spring version, but they still have good key travel and have the same outer construction.

Likewise, it's possible to have a reasonably decent thin keyboard. (See aforementioned ThinkPad X230.) Problem is, most manufacturers don't care about this and just want something that "looks" fancy and is cheap.

duffmmann

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Really all it comes down to is, there was no need to actually remove the audio jack. It wasn't making any phone needlessly bulky or anything stupid like that, They could probably fit the jack in the iPhone 7 and it would be marginally thicker and marginally taller... oh no, whatever would one do? Such a device could never fit in our pockets!! Of course they had to remove the jack, tech, that while having been around for a long time, is by no means outdated.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I'm a little bit confused why ppl can't settle with using the adapter. Like you can just leave it attached to your headphones. I guess you wouldn't be able to charge at the same time but why would anyone need to do that?

Aux-in while charging your phone. So if you connect your phone to your stereo in your home and don't want it to drain your battery while you do it. I do this all the time with my Galaxy S7, so there is absolutely situations where such a thing would be desired.

Last edited by duffmmann,
S

Saiyan Lusitano

No headphone jack = inferior product.

No wonder why samsung is selling more phones than apple.

That and there are loads of Android phones to choose from and for very reasonable prices too. I use a really cheap Android phone and am very satisfied with it, sure, there are times it lags a bit but I don't really care. It does what it should. :)

Windows Phone Yay

tumblr_nx61yq70in1tqptlzo1_500.gif

That one time a Windows Phone is better than an iPhone. :P

S

Saiyan Lusitano

It's cheaper to make than to expect people to use bluetooth headphones.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk
You honestly look like you're just trying to defend Apple's retarded idea no matter how idiotic it is. The headphone jack is not obsolete.

This is like saying that LAN is obsolete because WiFi exists and it's wireless.

D

Deleted User

Headphones jacks are everywhere and eliminating them for just one shitty product is just lame.
But who I'm, Apple is only looked to milk money from their sellers by slapping a license on them which have to give most of the profits to Apple.
Awful company, couldn't care less...

S

Saiyan Lusitano

Headphones jacks are everywhere and eliminating them for just one shitty product is just lame.
But who I'm, Apple is only looked to milk money from their sellers by slapping a license on them which have to give most of the profits to Apple.
Awful company, couldn't care less...
There are USB speakers for PC which I get why they exist, it consumes low power and dedicated for PC-use but without headphone jack they are completely pointless for me. I like to connect speakers to TV and etc so USB speakers don't allow that.

At least with USB speakers they're optional whereas Apple completely revoked the headphone jack from their latest iPhone for no good reason.

Reactions: Deleted User
D

Deleted User

Wow, this thread just became a war, now time to put in my 2 cents

I have never used an android product and they confuse me
Now you triggered me.
"they confuse me" I could tell all that crap about Apple jailbreak policy and how to even hack this piece of crap.
But eh, Apple is for those brag boys i guess...

Futurdreamz

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
IMHO The problem is not that Apple removed the headphone jack, but that their solutions are inconsistent and erratic.

Apple dropped the headphone jack and wants you to use headphones with a lightning connector. BUT, none of their macOS computers have a lightning port. You cannot use an iOS accessory on a mac and you cannot use a macOS acccessory on an iOS device, not without an adapter.

the Apple mouse cannot be used when charging, because you flip it over to plug it in instead of having the charging port hidden in the front.

the Apple pencil sticks out from the bottom of the iPad like a hazard when charging, while if Apple had any foresight they would've taken a more engineered solution like they used to be known for, like clicking it into the Smart connector sideways.

Apple refuses to merge macOS and iOS, despite Microsoft making it fairly clear that is a viable plan. macOS give off the appearance of a neglected middle child that you only pay enough attention to so he doesn't make you look bad, yet they refuse to flesh out iOS enough that macOS can be dropped completely. Port Xcode to it for crying out loud.

Apple used to move MOUNTAINS in order to make the user experience as intuitive as possible, but now it seems that they are too afraid to re-engineer their cash cows and simply patch and spackle enough to keep them fresh-looking.

That being said, I'm in the Blackberry camp. I still think BB10 is the best OS out there, but I recognize that app support is limited. I'm using a DTEK50 with Blackberry's version of Android, and I'm fine with it. I'll admit that I miss some things from BB10, but not enough to really fret over.

Reactions: Deleted User

GerbilSoft

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
At least with USB speakers they're optional whereas Apple completely revoked the headphone jack from their latest iPhone for no good reason.
Funny thing about that... The Power Mac G4 Cube had no headphone jack on the system unit, either. Instead, it had USB speakers, which provided their own headphone jack.

Wonder why they went back to standard headphone jacks in later models.

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Lol @ all the NSA comments. Everyone has been getting spied on since spyware and keyloggers started popping up. Who do you think invented that shit on the first place? All major OS and antivirus software is whitelisting government spyware, Apple is no exception (in fact their "secure" OS makes it more difficult to remove).
The NSA thinks they're going to catch terrorists, but all they're gonna bust is some stoner buying a gram of weed with the TOR Browser.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @Psionic Roshambo, https://youtu.be/9FcXxqthgUM?feature=shared&t=169