HDMI issue no sound

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by RemixDeluxe, Aug 17, 2011.

Aug 17, 2011

HDMI issue no sound by RemixDeluxe at 2:50 AM (646 Views / 0 Likes) 9 replies

1. RemixDeluxe
    OP

Member RemixDeluxe GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    Hello guys I am trying to watch a movie off my computer and watch it on my TV which is HDMI compatible. I am able to see the screen successfully bur I can't hear any sound. Anyway to resolve this issue?

I am using a Windows 7 computer.

2. RemixDeluxe
    OP

Member RemixDeluxe GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    I went to control panel > Hardware and Sound > change system sounds > playback > and when I got there it was only 2 options to choose from "Speakers" and "Digital Audio (S/PDIF)." It was default to speakers I switched it to Digital Audio but I didn't get any sound from the TV and the computer was mute too. Is there something I need to download to get the sound going?

3. Originality

Member Originality Chibi-neko

United Kingdom
    Update the graphics card drivers. That should also come with HDMI audio drivers if your graphics card supports it. If it doesn't, then you're SOL.

4. kevan

Member kevan Imagination rules the world

Australia
    No idea why his card would have HDMI if it doesn't support it, so you should be okay on that front.

5. Originality

United Kingdom
    FYI, there are a few versions of HDMI. The first versions were video only and did not carry the sound channel. My media laptop is like that, even though the tech specs of the 8600M is supposed to have dual-link DVI (which means it can carry sound and video).

The version in common use these days is HDMI 1.4a.

6. Arm73

Member Arm73 GBAtemp Addict

Italy
    I know this one........

HDMI can transfer video and sound ( maybe the really old ones only video ), but in order to do that on your PC, you have to do something else other then fiddling with the system settings.
    What you need to do, is hook up your sound card to your video card with a tiny cable inside your PC (every relatively recent sound card has a connector in one corner for this porpoise ) .
    If you think about it, the HDMI port comes out of the video card, which is then plugged into your PC motherboard, and so is the sound card.
    Without any physical connection between the two, how's the video card supposed to get and send the audio signal of your PC ?

7. Originality

United Kingdom
    Of course, it's not as good as dedicated audio cards (like the X-Fi card that came with my motherboard), but you won't notice the difference without a really good sound system (e.g. 7.1 audio).

8. Arm73

Member Arm73 GBAtemp Addict

Italy

That doesn't seem to be the case with RemixDeluxe.
    He didn't specify his PC specs, I'm willing to bet he has a dedicated sound card not connected to the video card.

9. marcus134

Member marcus134 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Canada
    @remix: you probably have an "old" video card that doesn't support audio through HDMI, you will have to connect an extra wire for the audio.

[​IMG]
    the number of channel is, in no way, a measurement of quality. you can have a 200$ 7.1 system and a 2000$ 2.0 system.
    what makes quality is the amplifier and the speaker set

10. Originality

United Kingdom
    Either way, I've never had anything better than a pair of crappy speakers throughput my life, except for when I had a somewhat expensive headset. I've little idea of what audiophiles seek with their expensive sound cards and sound systems that can't be obtained with the inbuilt audio of my monitor.