Hdd or sd card?

Discussion in 'Wii U - Hacking & Backup Loaders' started by wolf69, Sep 2, 2018.

1. wolf69
    OP

wolf69 Member

Newcomer
    Nov 21, 2005
    France
    Hello,

I’m planning to hack my Wii u and install wii u games, wii games, NGC games, VC games etc...

My question is, can i only buy a big micro SD card or do i need an externall hdd, or simply one of them is simpler to use?

Thank you

2. Ryccardo

Ryccardo and his tropane alkaloids

Feb 13, 2015
    Italy
    Imola
    You install games FROM an SD card TO an hard drive (or internal MLC memory)

3. wolf69
    OP

wolf69 Member

Newcomer
    Nov 21, 2005
    France
    What size should i buy for the SD then?

Will a micro sd with usb adaptor will work as an external hdd?

4. mightymuffy

mightymuffy fatbaldpieeater

Nov 6, 2002
    United Kingdom
    Wigan, land of the Pies
    32GB minimum.

A usb adaptor will act as a hdd, but you'll need a second sd card in the Wii U sd slot to install the games to it, and if you're wanting a few games, then a hdd instead is a much more cost effective buy.
    EDIT: Take a look at eipok's 'Ultimate' (rather subjective word - let's just say Ultimate for himself...) rig - Link - He's got 3 sd cards (and 2 readers) 200GB each - that's a fair bit of moolah: shop around and you can buy a 1TB external hdd for around the price of a 200gb sd card...

Last edited by mightymuffy, Sep 2, 2018
  5. wolf69
    OP

wolf69 Member

Newcomer
    Nov 21, 2005
    France
    Thank you your reply and the thread.

Last question regarding NGC games, can i launch them from the usb instead of the SD, any cons about that? Could i be able to play them on the gamepad?

6. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    Yes and yes. But to play Wii and GC from a Wii U formatted drive you need to use Wii VC injects rather than USB loaders.

7. wolf69
    OP

wolf69 Member

Newcomer
    Nov 21, 2005
    France
    What the cons of doing that?

8. bennyman123abc

bennyman123abc GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Mar 21, 2013
    United States
    Some City
    If you have a cold boot solution, none imo. It uses the same application as you would if you weren't to use injects. Now, if making separate inject titles for each game is a con in your eyes, then there is that. But playing injects also allows you to play your GameCube games with a gamepad rather than a GameCube controller connected to the USB adapter.