PS1/2 HDD fat 32 partition in OPL

ericgobbo

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Recently, i installed OPL in a PS2 memory card and until now, the games are working well in my good and old SCPH-39001. The problem is that my usb pendrive have just 8GB of memory. To solve this, i was thinking to create a fat 32 partition on a NTFS external hard drive, separated just for PS1 and PS2 games. So, i would like to know if it's possible the PS2 recognize and work with this fat 32 partition.

cracker

Nyah!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You'll have to use a powered external drive and it is limited to a 12 Mbit/s transfer rate. If it is a fat model then you are way better off getting a LAN/hard drive adapter which runs 25-30x faster. Then you can use FreeMcBoot to manage/run games.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Recently, i installed OPL in a PS2 memory card and until now, the games are working well in my good and old SCPH-39001. The problem is that my usb pendrive have just 8GB of memory. To solve this, i was thinking to create a fat 32 partition on a NTFS external hard drive, separated just for PS1 and PS2 games. So, i would like to know if it's possible the PS2 recognize and work with this fat 32 partition.
USB hard drives are not really worth it on PS2, even loading over LAN/SMB is faster and the slow loading over USB leads to lower compatibility with games. Your best option on a phat is an internal HDD installed in a LAN adapter.

ericgobbo

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
You'll have to use a powered external drive and it is limited to a 12 Mbit/s transfer rate. If it is a fat model then you are way better off getting a LAN/hard drive adapter which runs 25-30x faster. Then you can use FreeMcBoot to manage/run games.
My external hard drive is already powered.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

USB hard drives are not really worth it on PS2, even loading over LAN/SMB is faster and the slow loading over USB leads to lower compatibility with games. Your best option on a phat is an internal HDD installed in a LAN adapter.
Ok, thanks for the suggestion.

notimp

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
This - and just so you can gage the "economy" of time and work involved as well -

If you get a sata gamestar adapter from Aliexpress (they dont have LAN ports on them), filling up a 1TB HDD via an external USB 2.0 adapter, takes about two days including - lets say "several minutes" to acquire every iso. I'm talking about "work days" (i.e. two 6-8 hour stints on two days on a weekend).

This should give you an idea how necessary it would be to get a Sata adapter with a LAN port on it. As in - not that necessary. Taking the HDD out everytime you'd want to add a new game is annoying, doing the entire setup in two days - is not. ;)

Transfering from USB to the internal HDD on the PS2 is out of the question (write speeds slow as heck), adding Psone games using f.e. popstarter is done by adding them to the USB stick, so no interaction with the HDD anyhow.

So the most economical (time/money) setup that makes sense today is a fat PS2 with a FMCB memorycard from aliexpress, with a gamestar sata adapter from aliexpress -- and a used WD Mybook (or similar), where you can get the Sata HDD and the USB adapter (for the PC) in one swoop (dont buy Mybook NASes, just external hardrives (no LAN port on an external harddrive ;) )). If you need a USB HDD adapter.

Also think about maybe buying the 3D printed noctua fanmod ( https://gbatemp.net/threads/ps2-fat-quiet-fan-mod-w-noctua-fan.558129/ ) as it really reduces the noiselevel by a lot (depends on your roomtreatment ;) ), and PS2 controller extension cables from Aliexpress.

Thats all you need to get the best setup possible. All PC side software is compatible with USB HDD adapters, btw.

I'm personally very happy with a WD Red drive (5400 rpm) because it reduces the noise level even more (got one cheap), but thats not really necessary.

Last edited by notimp,

ericgobbo

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
This - and just so you can gage the "economy" of time and work involved as well -

If you get a sata gamestar adapter from Aliexpress (they dont have LAN ports on them), filling up a 1TB HDD via an external USB 2.0 adapter, takes about two days including - lets say "several minutes" to acquire every iso. I'm talking about "work days" (i.e. two 6-8 hour stints on two days on a weekend).

This should give you an idea how necessary it would be to get a Sata adapter with a LAN port on it. As in - not that necessary. Taking the HDD out everytime you'd want to add a new game is annoying, doing the entire setup in two days - is not. ;)

Transfering from USB to the internal HDD on the PS2 is out of the question (write speeds slow as heck), adding Psone games using f.e. popstarter is done by adding them to the USB stick, so no interaction with the HDD anyhow.

So the most economical (time/money) setup that makes sense today is a fat PS2 with a FMCB memorycard from aliexpress, with a gamestar sata adapter from aliexpress -- and a used WD Mybook (or similar), where you can get the Sata HDD and the USB adapter (for the PC) in one swoop (dont buy Mybook NASes, just external hardrives (no LAN port on an external harddrive ;) )). If you need a USB HDD adapter.

Also think about maybe buying the 3D printed noctua fanmod ( https://gbatemp.net/threads/ps2-fat-quiet-fan-mod-w-noctua-fan.558129/ ) as it really reduces the noiselevel by a lot (depends on your roomtreatment ;) ), and PS2 controller extension cables from Aliexpress.

Thats all you need to get the best setup possible. All PC side software is compatible with USB HDD adapters, btw.

I'm personally very happy with a WD Red drive (5400 rpm) because it reduces the noise level even more (got one cheap), but thats not really necessary.
Good idea.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: @SylverReZ, Indeed lol