Hardware HD Video (Editing) - Possible on this?

ZenZero

GBATEMP's regular arse.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Hey guys,
Not sure if theres anyone on here who could help me with this, but thought I'd ask just in case.

Processor (CPU)
Intel® Celeron® Dual Core Processor B840 (1.90 GHz) 2MB Cache
Memory (RAM)
8GB SAMSUNG 1333MHz SODIMM DDR3 MEMORY (2 x 4GB)
Graphics Card
NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 630M - 1GB DDR3 Video RAM - DirectX® 11

Would the above specs be able to view/edit HD Video?

I've never really been knowledgeable of PC Hardware, so thought I'd better ask..

If you need any more info, just let me know.

Thanks guys ;)

Zero

ilman

Gbatemp's Official Noise Eraser
Trophies
XP
Country
Well, the processor isn't that good, but the graphics card(most important) and the RAM memory are good. You should be able to view/edit HD videos.

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
It has a Sandy Bridge B8xx processor (dual core, no HyperThreading or TurboBoost, reduced cache but it has integrated graphics) and a GT 630M. The GPU itself is strong enough to video edit, of that I have no doubt. The issue lies in the actual strength of the CPU/GPU. The more demanding the video is (decided by resolution against complexity), the slower everything will get. It can do the job, but much slower than a mid-ranged modern desktop would do it.

Video editing is mostly dependant on RAM size, VRAM size and strength of the GPU (measured in FLOPS iirc). Also the more it has to render at the end (done by the GPU), the longer it'll take. Likewise the greater the compression when encoding (done by the CPU) the longer it'll take. Keep that in mind if you'll be doing large projects - it may take a day or two to finish rendering and encoding everything into a common video format (e.g. MPEG4).

D

Deleted_171835

And uh no, that setup wouldn't be optimal for HD video-editing. The GPU is fine but I have concerns with that processor.

Well, the processor isn't that good, but the graphics card(most important) and the RAM memory are good. You should be able to view/edit HD videos.
You got it backwards. The CPU is more important for video editing than the GPU.

AceWarhead

"Must Construct Additional Pylons"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The CPU is the main problem here. I recommend upgrading to something like the Intel i3, or even a AMD Phenom II.
Otherwise, the demanding power of the HD Video/edit will be too much for the poor processor.

jargus

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
RAM is good so is GPU. CPU is far from ideal. You want soemthing closer to at least 2.4Ghz. Since it has integrated grahpics use that for your display. Use your GPU for rendering only. With that CPU expect renders to take awhile. Multiple cores helps alot. For editing you'll do fine. Its only renders thatll take forever with that CPU.

ZenZero

GBATEMP's regular arse.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks for your help guys :)
How much improvement would come from a Intel® Core™i7 Quad Core Mobile Processor i7-3610QM (2.30GHz) 6MB instead?

jargus

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for your help guys :)
How much improvement would come from a Intel® Core™i7 Quad Core Mobile Processor i7-3610QM (2.30GHz) 6MB instead?

Huge improvement definitely. You should be able to do everything stably with that. If you are something complex I'd recommend to upgrading your memory to 16GB

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
You reckon 16 gigs is going to make a big difference to video editing (even HD).... granted that is now big enough to stick a decent sized ramdrive on (maybe even for lossless capture/sources) which would increase speed quite a bit (for the most part I still see most limits being hard drive rather than CPU or ram) but I do not see it.

ZenZero

GBATEMP's regular arse.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Processor (CPU)
Intel® Core™i7 Quad Core Mobile Processor i7-3610QM (2.30GHz) 6MB
Memory (RAM)
Graphics Card

I hate to bump a month old thread, but I should be (finally) purchasing the laptop next week when I get paid, and was just wondering if people could comment on how good the specs would be for gaming? Ta :)

D

Deleted_171835

Processor (CPU)
Intel® Core™i7 Quad Core Mobile Processor i7-3610QM (2.30GHz) 6MB
Memory (RAM)
Graphics Card

I hate to bump a month old thread, but I should be (finally) purchasing the laptop next week when I get paid, and was just wondering if people could comment on how good the specs would be for gaming? Ta :)
Games will run...just not well.

Prepare to have to set settings to low and not even bother with anti-aliasing (maybe FXAA).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Least they got head in the end