Hacking Haxchi: Wii U won't start after lauching VC game without SD card

DY23

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Hello, it's my first post here because I can't find a solution on gbatemp or another website. I'm kindly asking for help.

I put off my SD card from my modded Wii U (Haxchi CFW) for some reason, launched Haxchi, then launched a VC game. The game launched but instantly froze. I then got the Lost connectivity message on the Gamepad and I hard resetted my Wii U. Now when I start the console : 1) I have a permanent black screen on my TV ; 2) I have the Lost connectivity message on my Gamepad.

I don't even know if there's a link between the CFW and my problem, but since it happened only once when I launched the VC game without SD card, I assume that yes.

Is my Wii U bricked or is there any solution to recover from this?

Many thanks in advance. I'm sorry if the answer is obvious. And I'm also sorry if the section in which I posted this tread is not correct.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
sounds like hardware failure. is this haxchi or cbhc? I've been using cbhc for at least three years, and I've never had any problems with it. if it's not a legit game, it won't run, because the fake ticket will prevent it. if it seemingly ran, it sounds like it's legit. it depends on how you have haxchi working when it comes to what it will do. a lot of default config.txt load the homebrew launcher by default, so it makes sense if something is wrong with the sd card or bay. however, if it's black screening at boot, I suspect something else is at fault. it sounds like hardware failure to me that just happened to coincide with the haxchi install.

MikaDubbz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello, it's my first post here because I can't find a solution on gbatemp or another website. I'm kindly asking for help.

I put off my SD card from my modded Wii U (Haxchi CFW) for some reason, launched Haxchi, then launched a VC game. The game launched but instantly froze. I then got the Lost connectivity message on the Gamepad and I hard resetted my Wii U. Now when I start the console : 1) I have a permanent black screen on my TV ; 2) I have the Lost connectivity message on my Gamepad.

I don't even know if there's a link between the CFW and my problem, but since it happened only once when I launched the VC game without SD card, I assume that yes.

Is my Wii U bricked or is there any solution to recover from this?

Many thanks in advance. I'm sorry if the answer is obvious. And I'm also sorry if the section in which I posted this tread is not correct.

What kind of VC game was it? Was it N64? Was it installed to your USB drive or NAND?

DY23

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Thanks for your answers.
It is Haxchi, not CBHC.
It was a non-legit N64 game installed on external HDD. I precise that the game didn't properly run, I've just got 1 image from my previous session (from VC savestate functionality) then it froze.
Would there be any solution?

EDIT : I don't think it adds something relevant but I can still boot my Wii U through the power buttons of Wii U Gamepad and Wii U Pro Controller. Same problem though: Wii U powered on, ventilating, but nothing but a permanent black screen.

Last edited by DY23,

MikaDubbz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for your answers.
It is Haxchi, not CBHC.
It was a non-legit N64 game installed on external HDD. I precise that the game didn't properly run, I've just got 1 image from my previous session (from VC savestate functionality) then it froze.
Would there be any solution?

EDIT: I don't think it adds something relevant but I can still boot my Wii U through the power buttons of Wii U Gamepad and Wii U Pro Controller. Same problem though: Wii U powered on, ventilating, but nothing but a permanent black screen.
You sound pretty bricked. I bricked my original Wii U by trying to do something dumb with an N64 VC title. I had read that you could add multiple N64 games to it's directory via FTPiiu and then when you launch the game supposedly you get a list of the N64 games and can select which to run kinda like an emulator. I did that to one title installed to the NAND and as soon as I launched the title it went black screen and then every time I booted from then on, just like you, it was black screen and could not be recovered.

Now I dunno if you did anything like that and I would have thought that it has to be installed to NAND to brick (have you tried booting with the hard drive disconnected?), but your situation has similarities to what I once did, so I thought I should at least share.

I ended up then buying a replacement Wii U without the Gamepad for only like $40 on ebay, so it wasn't the costliest of mistakes. Was frustrating to start hacking another Wii U from scratch though.

Last edited by MikaDubbz,

DY23

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Thx for sharing your experience.

No I didn't do anything like you did, I launched a non-legit VC N64 game without the SD card then hard resetted my console.

Actually following your advise, I just booted with disconnected hard drive (and I would have sworn that I already tried this) and now I still have the permanent black screen on TV but now I have a weird fixed loading screen on my Gamepad.
upload_2020-10-28_17-55-12.png

Does it look encouraging?

EDIT:
I hard resetted a few times and now both TV and Gamepad go to main menu but then freeze instantly with a horrific crashing sound.
I'm waiting for a new SD card to come this week-end, maybe I need to put it again with the necessary homebrew files in my Wii U? Though it is HAXCHI and not CBHC so I don't think it will matter...

EDIT2:
No i've got the error code 160-2215 on both screens when starting (which is English although I have a French console, is it CFW related?):
An error has occured.
Press and hold the POWER button for at least four seconds to turn the console off.
Error code : 160-2215
(1) 5.5.4 E (2) WUP-101(03) (3) FEH106891809 (4) XXXX-0XXX-2XXX

Last edited by DY23,

MikaDubbz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Whoa, now that is new for me. Haven't seen anything like that before. I assume by non-legit VC you mean like an inject right? I've never had issues with injects before, especially when installed to USB (but I also use CBHC and not just Haxchi, so that might make a difference), actually you know what, I have made N64 injects before, for games that were questionable if they'd work or not, and sure enough they wouldn't load when you booted them or ran poorly, but even still when you turned off the system and turned it back on there wasn't any lasting issue.

The fact that it starts up at all on either screen is promising though. It's a shame you were on Haxchi and not full CBHC, because if you were you might have been able to hold a button on start to boot directly into the homebrew launcher and maybe from there possibly fix your issue in some way.

You may not be fully bricked (don't quote me on that), but even if you're not, I'm not sure at all what you could do to fix it.

The only advice I have at this point is remove both the drive and the SD card as well, and remove the power cord from the outlet and then put the power cord back in, and then try turning it on. You've probably tried all of that, but if not, give that a go too.

Last edited by MikaDubbz,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: See ya see ya later later