Hawking: Colonize space in 100 years or face extinction

Arm73

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
A lot of people are scared of the future and always think of the usual overpopulation problem and resource depletion.
May I remind you of those silly 60's and 70's movies that saw the 2000's as catastrophic , post apocalyptic deserted earth or desperate overclouded, crime filled big cities ?
None of it came true, we are actually better educated now, we respect the environment a lot more and mayors all over the word favor building new parks and fountains in the cities instead of highways and more roads.
You would think that if today a lot can be done with solar and hydraulic energy , who knows what kind of clean energy will the human race use in a hundred years from now ?
And the overpopulation is just a myth.
Sure New York, London or Rome might be a little overcrowded, but why don't you guys take a trip to the Australian Outback ( some of you are really close ) or to the Amazon or even to some desert region of Africa and see if you can spot anybody around for thousand of miles ?
Before expanding to other planets , I would say let's expand right here on Earth, there is still plenty of room, and when we run out of space there is still the bottom of the ocean ( Bioshock's Rapture anybody ? ).

Look at this 70's movie for example....

injected11

Crescent Fresh™
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Arm73 said:
Sure New York, London or Rome might be a little overcrowded, but why don't you guys take a trip to the Australian Outback ( some of you are really close ) or to the Amazon or even to some desert region of Africa and see if you can spot anybody around for thousand of miles ?
Before expanding to other planets , I would say let's expand right here on Earth, there is still plenty of room, and when we run out of space there is still the bottom of the ocean ( Bioshock's Rapture anybody ? ).
Yeah. Let's keep on wiping out other species so we can expand and get our Starbucks on every corner. Just because an area is uninhabited by humans doesn't mean it isn't home to other living creatures.

Bioshock's Rapture showed plenty of realistic examples why a civilization at the bottom of the sea is impractical at best.

I agree with Hawking about needing to begin space exploration again/colonization, but I can't get over this horrible feeling that we'll eventually bump into other intelligent life, and it won't be friendly.

Mantis41

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Doomsday culture. You kids have so many doomsday theories rammed down your throats every day by the media and hollywood. You have no faith or hope left.

Things always change but I seriously doubt extinction is on the cards for us as a species anytime soon.

Defiance

oh my god.. it's full of trading cards...
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is kind of old news.. As a matter of fact there's a Youtube video about this topic dating back to 2008.

But anyways, humans actually stopped growing exponentially since around the 1960s.. Yeah we're still expanding, but it's more of a constant. I don't think we'll overcrowd anytime soon, but I do think that we should be colonizing Of course, Mr. Obama isn't helping the slightest, as he cut the Constellation Program; however, I do think that there will be private companies with affordable prices (there are already private companies, they're just around 200k for a flight) sometime soon.. This kind of thing is expensive, as many people don't realize, but we are advancing. teleport

jan777

motion control..? srsly? so 2008. 3DS is teh bombz
Trophies
XP
Country
hey, what the hell we going crazy for? everyone's going to be dead by then anyway.
laugh.gif
unsure.gif

Midna

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
Mantis41 said:
Doomsday culture. You kids have so many doomsday theories rammed down your throats every day by the media and hollywood. You have no faith or hope left.

Things always change but I seriously doubt extinction is on the cards for us as a species anytime soon.
Oh, QFT. I'm sick and tired of constantly hearing that the world is going to end in 15 different ways at once. Bugger.

Arm73

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
injected11 said:
Arm73 said:
Yeah. Let's keep on wiping out other species so we can expand and get our Starbucks on every corner. Just because an area is uninhabited by humans doesn't mean it isn't home to other living creatures.

Bioshock's Rapture showed plenty of realistic examples why a civilization at the bottom of the sea is impractical at best.

I agree with Hawking about needing to begin space exploration again/colonization, but I can't get over this horrible feeling that we'll eventually bump into other intelligent life, and it won't be friendly.

So are you telling me that you 'd rather spend billions to built starships and colonize strange new words ( in a process that could take hundreds of years ) instead of building let's say.....a new Las Vegas in the Australian Outback because you might kill some skorpions along the way ?
Wonderful , efficient logic.
Let's continue to slowly die in the overcrowded big cities , so that we can save the scorpions and such
wink.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Oj did the Dj