Hardware Having problem fixing my Switch. Doesn't turn on but backlight shows for a second.

LordGeovanni

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Alright. I was attempting to fix up my Switch's casing as I wanted to trade it into GameStop and they wanted a $50 refurbish fee if I didnt fix the damaged shell. This included the front panel, which had cracked the vent over top of the heat sink. I managed to get everything down to the front shell removed aside the battery, (motherboard, fan, Game Cart Slot, hinge rails, heatsink,) and was able to move the screen and touchscreen over. While fitting everything back into the switch, I somehow managed to sever the Power and Volume ribbon cable. I managed to purchase and attach a new cable, but I am having a problem getting the Switch to respond now.

When I hit the Power button, I often get a backlight but not for longer than about a second. I can almost always get this if I hold the Power for about 12 seconds and then do a single power button push (Hard Reset). I had one time where I got the fan to work, but it stopped shortly after the backlight turned off again.

I also had a minor problem with the video cable coming from the screen, Where the clip holding it to the motherboard is, there is a white locking clip and that has come off. I am not certain if it has broken or not, but I cannot seem to reattach it. I have attempted multiple times to enter the Video ribbon cable into the slot to confirm it is entered correctly, but I have not had any changes in results.

I am wondering a few things if anyone is able to help. First, would the Switch have any issues starting if a component is not attached? Such as the fan or heatsink or Game Cart slot? It would help my diagnosing if I know what the Switch absolutely needs to get into a boot up. Second, would anyone have any ideas on what I should consider looking at to fix this? I have already tried reassessing all the cables that I disconnected but I havent figured out what has gone wrong yet. I also have the clip broken from the Video Ribbon cable. Is that a concern? Does it snap back in or would it be actually broken off?

I do hope I was descriptive enough, but if anyone needs additional info I would always be happy to supply more. If anyone has any ideas I would be ever so glad to hear from you.

mitcha

مجاهد صنديد مقاتل عنيد
Trophies
XP
Country
Algeria
hi , you are new and for most ppl it would be more easy to help with some pictures ,you can just put a link to the pictures here if you can't post for now.
or even more helpfull a short video.

for your information the swith boot , when the sd card reader is detached from the motherboard and i think i'ts the same for card slot ( because both are not necessary necessary to play games i guess ).

have you managed to get the video ribbon in place without his clips ?

finally a simple think : do a hard reset and charge well the battery.

LordGeovanni

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
it would be more easy to help with some pictures
when the sd card reader is detached from the motherboard and i think i'ts the same for card slot ( because both are not necessary necessary to play games i guess ).

I will work on getting some pictures here in the next few minutes. The second part of your quoted message above I wasn't able to fully understand. Are you saying that the Game Cart Slot is required for boot? Or that the MicroSD Slot is required? I haven't been attaching the MicroSD during my testing so if that is an issue I may have my solution.

I do believe I have gotten the Video ribbon cable into the place correctly, however the clip being broken off gives me some worries.

I have tried a Hard Reset a few times now, about 15 to 20 times, including some times with the console plugged in directly to a power source, but I havent attempted to leave the system plugged in longer than maybe 10 minutes at a time. Would that be advisable? I have no way to confirm the system is charging correctly, as the screen isnt loading, and I am slightly worried about the potential issues with burning something out if I messed something up.

Edit: adding the pictures I took. One with the battery has the white clip on top of it. I also have a close up of the video ribbon cable and the new power and volume ribbon cable. A third picture shows a majority of the motherboard if anyone wants to consider other potential issues. Just ask for clearer pictures of whatever you need.

Attachments

• IMG_20200310_102949008.jpg
    IMG_20200310_102949008.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 193
  • IMG_20200310_103000516.jpg
    IMG_20200310_103000516.jpg
    974.2 KB · Views: 159
  • IMG_20200310_102942889.jpg
    IMG_20200310_102942889.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 175
Last edited by LordGeovanni,

mitcha

مجاهد صنديد مقاتل عنيد
Trophies
XP
Country
Algeria
I will work on getting some pictures here in the next few minutes. The second part of your quoted message above I wasn't able to fully understand. Are you saying that the Game Cart Slot is required for boot? Or that the MicroSD Slot is required? I haven't been attaching the MicroSD during my testing so if that is an issue I may have my solution.
no they are not required for boot.

I do believe I have gotten the Video ribbon cable into the place correctly, however the clip being broken off gives me some worries.
i broke by joycon clips for ribbon like this one , and i don't manage to fit the ribbon in place , lack of materials and experience , i just glue it it place , it work but sr sl buttons works some times , ( perhaps an idea here ).

have tried a Hard Reset a few times now, about 15 to 20 times, including some times with the console plugged in directly to a power source, but I havent attempted to leave the system plugged in longer than maybe 10 minutes at a time. Would that be advisable? I have no way to confirm the system is charging correctly, as the screen isnt loading, and I am slightly worried about the potential issues with burning something out if I messed something up.
RCM mode drain the battery more than normal , so if you let your switch on this mode for long time , you will need i guess more than 20mn to charge 2%
just keep it some 2 hours and see.

but imo one of your ribbons is not nn his good place or clipped good.

LordGeovanni

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i broke by joycon clips for ribbon like this one , and i don't manage to fit the ribbon in place , lack of materials and experience , i just glue it it place ,
RCM mode drain the battery more than normal , so if you let your switch on this mode for long time , you will need i guess more than 20mn to charge 2%
just keep it some 2 hours and see.
I would like to avoid unnecessary gluing if possible, but I will keep that idea in mind if it comes to it. At this point, I have the AC Switch I wanted already fully paid for so I am no longer on a time crunch to get this ready for a trade-in. The only disappointing part now is that my user profiles are locked on the Switch.

To be honest, I am not certain I have been using RCM mode. I unfortunately dont know much about electronics or computers so I have mostly just been using trial and error. The ribbons that I have been placing all feel like they are good in their slots, but I dont have much recourse other than just testing all the cables over and over.

UPDATE: I have managed to obtain a magnifying glass and I believe I have determined the issue. I have a few small tines with the video ribbon port bent out of alignment. If this is the problem I do not think i will have any luck realigning them.
Is it possible to get a new switch and move over the memory chip? I understand that it is the modular piece just under the Game Cart Slot and I think I should be able to move it over without issue. My concern is that the Serial Number wouldnt match which could cause the data on it to be useless.

Last edited by LordGeovanni,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I did use a bot for Diablo III though but no ban there lol