Gaming Have you fallen into the infinite trap?

knocturnal

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I've been doing this emulation thing for years now back in the days when we were happy over getting an nes emulator to run at 20fps (nesticle anyone?) and one thing I've fallen prey to and seen my fellow gamers fall into is the infinite trap, where you have virtually an infinite amount of great games at your disposal but you can't bring yourself to really beat any (except for the occasional blockbuster title) because you can move on to the next just like that.

It took a let of discipline but I've fought off that urge for quite some time now until I got my m3 simply for the DS back in January of this year, there are so many great games that I know for a fact that if I bought them I would have played and beaten them immediately, not because I spent money, but because they were great games. The oddest thing is, the main games that I have completed for the most part are import games that I can't afford to get at this point and time of ny life. I was estactic about getting my hands on Hotel Dusk but i haven't even loaded it onto my flash card yet. I'm slowly breaking out of the trap by forcing myself to stick to one game in a genre at a time.

So my question to all of you is how many of you have been in the same predicament

becker2384

Trophies
Website
myspace.com
XP
Country
United States
fur sure.
cry.gif
What 2 play? WHAT 2 PLAY? The almost never ending list of possibilities and what do I play? Tetris and Clubhouse games and Animal Crossing. Three games that you don't really beat. Games that I have beaten thus far include Picross, MKDS, Castelvania PoR, MPH, EBA, and NSMB. A few more games that you don't really beat would be Brain Training and Nintendogs with a slew of other Japanese training games.

MC DUI

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I definitely find it true for me.

One thing I've found helps me is to play a game that gives you rewards for completions, like unlockables, I love to try and collect everything in a game.
The 360 is good in that regard because I love collecting achievements in games and I hate having lots of unfinished games sitting on my gamertag. Not that I don't have a few on there unfinished but that's mainly cause they were crap or I'm up to a point were it's become to hard.

ambitous21

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I usually stick to a group of 2,3 games at once.

Also these days I've already played all the games in the DS library that interests me, so i only have to wait for the new ones, which makes it a lot easier.

and yea, whats for sure is that once I beat a game, i will most likely never go back to it.

aZnXrAvEr

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
yup, i'm in the infinite trap.

let's see, games that i beat:
mario kart ds
new super mario bros.
pokemon diamond

games i didn't beat:
club house games
custom robo arena
cooking mama
super mario 64 ds
diner dash
transformers
trauma center
brothers in arms ds
anno 1701
hotel dusk
children of mana
contact
*sigh, the list goes on and on*

current game i'm playing:
dynasty warriors

it will probably go in the 'games i didn't beat' list when a new game comes out.
frown.gif

4saken

Retired Ace Attorney
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I've finished Phoenix Wright. Does that count?
smile.gif
It's pretty much the only game I've finished along with Mario Kart DS, NSMB and OTO/OTO2/EBA

I usually don't find myself able to finish a game, even though I know I want to.

D

Deleted User

I'm definitely in it--and been there for ages now. That's one of the main reasons why I didn't chip my Wii.

HBK

Clover - Fearless to Speak Now. ;)
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Games that I have finished:

Mario Kart (3 star all GP's)
Advance Wars (main and advanced campaign finished, some war rooms to complete)
Brothers In Arms DS (main campaign completed)

And some others I can't remember....

Zendrik

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I used to be in this rut. My way of fixing it is to only have one game accessible for each console at a time. I only have Titan Quest on my PC, my R4 only has Mario Kart on it(besides the staples), and Wii games are far and few between so sticking to one game is pretty easy. By biggest problem is that I watch ebay and the amazon marketplace for cheap GCN/Wii games and my pile of games is getting huge. On top of the fact I have 35 DS games to play(7 are 40+hour RPGS) and about 25 PC games i havent even installed yet.

GeekyGuy

Professional loafer
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
smile.gif

Yeah, I've just entered the realm of flash cards and whatnot, and I'm already experiencing a bit of that. But there are a few games that have stayed on my card for a while. It's funny you mention Hotel Dusk, because I'm now playing it -- I have been for a couple of weeks. It's not necessarily that long of a game, but I'm taking my time with it, as I also try out other games that come down the pike.

I can also say that there are a couple of imports that have been on my card for a while. Pinky Street Kira Kira Music Hour is an adorable game. I initially wanted to check it out because of its stellar graphics, but once I got to play it I realized just how much fun it is. I also just added Taiko no Tatsujin, as I'm sure a lot of folks have, and it too is a tremendous game...good, clean fun, as they say.

But I do tend to run through other games quite fast. It's the new novelty of being able to check out games I know I'd never buy but am curious about -- kind of a try before you buy type thing
tongue.gif
. That's probably the aspect I enjoy most about owning a flash card. It's just cool to be able to see what's what.

NiGHtS

Trophies
XP
Country
smile.gif

Yeah, I've just entered the realm of flash cards and whatnot, and I'm already experiencing a bit of that. But there are a few games that have stayed on my card for a while. It's funny you mention Hotel Dusk, because I'm now playing it -- I have been for a couple of weeks. It's not necessarily that long of a game, but I'm taking my time with it, as I also try out other games that come down the pike.

I can also say that there are a couple of imports that have been on my card for a while. Pinky Street Kira Kira Music Hour is an adorable game. I initially wanted to check it out because of its stellar graphics, but once I got to play it I realized just how much fun it is. I also just added Taiko no Tatsujin, as I'm sure a lot of folks have, and it too is a tremendous game...good, clean fun, as they say.

But I do tend to run through other games quite fast. It's the new novelty of being able to check out games I know I'd never buy but am curious about -- kind of a try before you buy type thingÂ
tongue.gif
 . That's probably the aspect I enjoy most about owning a flash card. It's just cool to be able to see what's what.

Exactly the same thing here!

I'm currently playing 3 games myself >_>

Castlevania DoS
Advance Wars DS
Spyro: A new Beginning

They're all awesome and the fact there's even MORE awesome games out there is hard to fight off but one must manage.
But think about PSP emulating owners! They've got every console till the PS1 era at their disposal!
wtf.gif

Drkirby

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Eh, I have to say I have the same problem, but I have anther too. There are way to many games where I get to the last level/boss, and just stop playing >_>

loathsome

Trophies
XP
Country
I usually have a few games on my ds-x that I play through, and the remaining space I use for testing new releases etc.

For example, I'm now playing:
Phoenix Wright
Pokemon Pearl
Diddy Kong Racing DS
Pet Alien

as my primary games. I intend to finish all of those. There's a lot of space remaining, so I use that for either music, homebrew apps (colors
biggrin.gif
) or testing other games that I eventually start to like and play.

test84

GBAtemp's last ninja 2.
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Iran
i tried having just one game on my flashcard but after a while i felt like i'm forced to play that game, even when i dont want to! and it failed.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: Is Janet Jackson alive?