Have You Ever Forgot Computer Login Password?

Discussion in 'Computer Software and Operating Systems' started by xavivalejo, Oct 21, 2019.

1. xavivalejo
    OP

xavivalejo Newbie

Newcomer
    Oct 18, 2019
    United States
    I had never forgot my login password on Windows 7 and XP but this is not the case for Windows 10 as it forces me to change password once per month, which ends up messing the password.

LonelyPhantom and alexander1970 like this.
  2. Sonic Angel Knight

Sonic Angel Knight GBAtemp Legend

May 27, 2016
    United States
    New York
    Why are you forced to change your password? :blink:

I haven't forgot my password, then again, I have a fingerprint scanner. :ninja:

3. JayDSMan

JayDSMan Newbie

Newcomer
    Oct 21, 2019
    United States
    Of course, that's why they let you change your password ;) although it's a rare event. Windows 10 should not be making you change your password. Never had that happen before unless there has been some kind of security concern with your computer. It did however ask me to change my long ass password with a 4 digit pin number instead... lol.

CallmeBerto likes this.
  4. Wambam2k

Wambam2k Newbie

Newcomer
    Oct 21, 2019
    United States
    Yeah that's why I use keepassx but never has windows 10 told me to change it. I would look into that if i was you

5. Jiehfeng

Jiehfeng Narcissism in its existensiality

Aug 15, 2012
    United States
    Noticing, aloof from it all
    Once yeah, I was like YOLO when making the password for a Win 10 installation once and it was something very obscure and difficult to remember. Didn't take more than a few days to forget and then regret it very much. Same thing happened with a phone for me lol, had to give it in to an expert to reset it with a locked bootloader somehow.

Also yeah, Windows 10 doesn't ask you to change the password every month, or at all. Though I've been using the PIN all the time, so not sure.

CallmeBerto likes this.
  6. BeckyWTGH

BeckyWTGH Newbie

Newcomer
    Oct 21, 2019
    United States
    NO, of course not I am a ROBOT. I never forget. Come on man we all do. You should be asking yourself why is windows telling me to change my password. I also use the pin they told me to setup. to be fair i was surprised by that when i first saw it.

7. xavivalejo
    OP

xavivalejo Newbie

Newcomer
    Oct 18, 2019
    United States
    It is a DIY Win 10 PC. I have another 3 Win 10 PCs but they don't ask me to change password, that's really weird.

8. LonelyPhantom

LonelyPhantom Golden Wind

Mar 26, 2017
    United States
    Beyond The Sun
    Lol, yes sadly

9. am714

am714 GBAtemp Fan

Apr 1, 2018
    Italy
    Da qualche parte nella Dimensione Magica...
    Windows has password expiration since ages Computer Management>Local Users And Groups> Users> Right click yours and properties. You should see a checkbox to disable expiration

EDIT: I did once forgot my pc admin pass, I just used "some tools" to edit the SAM database

Last edited by am714, Oct 23, 2019
    xavivalejo, Ryccardo and CallmeBerto like this.
  10. alexander1970

alexander1970 GBAtemp allows me to be here

Nov 8, 2018
    Austria
    Austria
  11. SG854

SG854 If It Bleeds, We Can Kill It

Feb 17, 2017
    Comoros
  12. snobbysteven

snobbysteven Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Aug 14, 2019
    United States
    Chicago
    When it's stupid stuff I don't care about, like my work computer password that makes me change it every 90 days. I just have my password, slap a number on the end and increment it every time I have to change it Lol.

13. slaphappygamer

slaphappygamer GBAPerm

Nov 30, 2008
    United States
    Aptos, California
    Never!
    At work, I have to change it every 90 days. It’s mandatory.

At home, I have no password. I trust myself.

alexander1970 likes this.
  14. ThoD

ThoD GBATemp Addict (apparently), but more like "bored"

Sep 8, 2017
    Greece
    What kind of idiot even uses a password? Passwords on Windows don't really keep your PC safe since anyone loading another OS from a flashdrive has full access to all your files and even your PC's settings, either use no password at all for your home PC (which considerably speeds up booting) OR use a BIOS password instead of Windows/OS password, that way nobody can boot into ANY OS or even the BIOS settings and in the worst case scenario that you forget your password, simply removing the BIOS battery after opening up the case is enough (which you might say isn't secure enough, but a USB drive over opening the case is even less secure plus BIOS reset is harder on laptops which is what you take outside and need a password on:P)!

Last edited by ThoD, Oct 23, 2019
    osaka35 and Armadillo like this.
  15. sarkwalvein

sarkwalvein There's hope for a Xenosaga port.

GBAtemp Patron
    sarkwalvein is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 29, 2007
    Germany
    Niedersachsen
    Nope. Not yet. But old age comes nearer every day.

Have you heard about full HDD encryption? BitLocker, etc.

PS: Now, if one forgets their BitLocker password... that will be a sad day.

xavivalejo, ThoD and alexander1970 like this.
  16. crayonfeaturedking

crayonfeaturedking Member

Newcomer
    Oct 22, 2019
    United States
    In the 6 years i have been using computer,i have forgotten my password 3 times :rofl:.Twice I forgot to write down the new password.....
    The last time, for reasons unknown, the computer kept saying the password was wrong.Fortunately, I got them all back in the end.

alexander1970 likes this.
  17. ThoD

Sep 8, 2017
    Greece
    Haven't forgotten it, but BitLocker or LavaSoft Security (MUCH more secure program similar to BL, has changed name but LS is what I'm used to calling it) require encrypting and decrypting files, which result in slow load times and you have to specifically do it for any files you want to protect, full HDD encryption is a huge waste even if safe. I'm more talking about the people who think just a Windows password will keep them safe, if you are using other measures like encrypted files, then you don't need a Windows password anyways, making it even more obsolete:P Not saying passwords are bad, I'm saying that Windows password specifically is useless security-wise, BitLocker is great for security, but encrypting your whole HDD turns it into slow AF unless it's a higher-end system, so BIOS lock is the best non-encryption dependent way to go, especially for laptops which have hard-to-reach BIOS batteries. Basically my point is, don't use Windows password, use BIOS lock instead and then if you need extra security use BitLocker/Lavasoft/etc. for specific files only so it doesn't affect overall performance.

18. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    I can't say I have.

You need a password for SMB file shares to work.
    Also it does provide some protection in case someone decided to crack your wifi or if you're on public wifi for some reason.

Last edited by The Real Jdbye, Oct 23, 2019
    Ammako and tech3475 like this.
  19. ThoD

Sep 8, 2017
    Greece
    If by the wifi thing you mean someone putting a RAT (Remote Access Tool, basically a greatly enhanced and in most countries illegal keylogging virus that allows for TONS of invisible data-stealing or even taking over your inputs and is often used by tech support scammers) in your PC, then password still doesn't protect you since most RATs easily ignore passwords altogether due to the built-in keylogger that is always included in all high-profile RATs that runs from the moment the OS is loaded, making it very easy to steal your password to bypass any locks. Also bypasses SMB restrictions, on top of nobody even using SMB to steal stuff anymore due to all the limitations.

20. The Real Jdbye

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    There are many ways to get into a PC if you have access to the local network, unpassworded accounts just makes it way easier. You need access to the PC to begin with to install a RAT.

Ammako and ThoD like this.
  21. The Real Jdbye

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    Edit: Accidental double post

Quick Reply
Draft saved Draft deleted