Have You Ever Forgot Computer Login Password?

JayDSMan

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Of course, that's why they let you change your password ;) although it's a rare event. Windows 10 should not be making you change your password. Never had that happen before unless there has been some kind of security concern with your computer. It did however ask me to change my long ass password with a 4 digit pin number instead... lol.

Reactions: CallmeBerto

Wambam2k

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah that's why I use keepassx but never has windows 10 told me to change it. I would look into that if i was you

Jiehfeng

The One
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Sri Lanka
Once yeah, I was like YOLO when making the password for a Win 10 installation once and it was something very obscure and difficult to remember. Didn't take more than a few days to forget and then regret it very much. Same thing happened with a phone for me lol, had to give it in to an expert to reset it with a locked bootloader somehow.

Also yeah, Windows 10 doesn't ask you to change the password every month, or at all. Though I've been using the PIN all the time, so not sure.

Reactions: CallmeBerto

BeckyWTGH

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
NO, of course not I am a ROBOT. I never forget. Come on man we all do. You should be asking yourself why is windows telling me to change my password. I also use the pin they told me to setup. to be fair i was surprised by that when i first saw it.

Aquadraws

Trophies
Da qualche parte nella Dimensione Magica...
XP
Country
Italy
Windows has password expiration since ages Computer Management>Local Users And Groups> Users> Right click yours and properties. You should see a checkbox to disable expiration

EDIT: I did once forgot my pc admin pass, I just used "some tools" to edit the SAM database

Last edited by Aquadraws,

snobbysteven

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
When it's stupid stuff I don't care about, like my work computer password that makes me change it every 90 days. I just have my password, slap a number on the end and increment it every time I have to change it Lol.

ThoD

GBATemp Addict (apparently), but more like "bored"
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
What kind of idiot even uses a password? Passwords on Windows don't really keep your PC safe since anyone loading another OS from a flashdrive has full access to all your files and even your PC's settings, either use no password at all for your home PC (which considerably speeds up booting) OR use a BIOS password instead of Windows/OS password, that way nobody can boot into ANY OS or even the BIOS settings and in the worst case scenario that you forget your password, simply removing the BIOS battery after opening up the case is enough (which you might say isn't secure enough, but a USB drive over opening the case is even less secure plus BIOS reset is harder on laptops which is what you take outside and need a password on:P)!

Last edited by ThoD,

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Nope. Not yet. But old age comes nearer every day.

What kind of idiot even uses a password? Passwords on Windows don't really keep your PC safe since anyone loading another OS from a flashdrive has full access to all your files and even your PC's settings, either use no password at all for your home PC (which considerably speeds up booting) OR use a BIOS password instead of Windows/OS password, that way nobody can boot into ANY OS or even the BIOS settings and in the worst case scenario that you forget your password, simply removing the BIOS battery after opening up the case is enough (which you might say isn't secure enough, but a USB drive over opening the case is even less secure plus BIOS reset is harder on laptops which is what you take outside and need a password on:P)!
Have you heard about full HDD encryption? BitLocker, etc.

PS: Now, if one forgets their BitLocker password... that will be a sad day.

crayonfeaturedking

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In the 6 years i have been using computer,i have forgotten my password 3 times :rofl:.Twice I forgot to write down the new password.....
The last time, for reasons unknown, the computer kept saying the password was wrong.Fortunately, I got them all back in the end.

Reactions: Alexander1970

ThoD

Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
Nope. Not yet. But old age comes nearer every day.

Have you heard about full HDD encryption? BitLocker, etc.

PS: Now, if one forgets their BitLocker password... that will be a sad day.
Haven't forgotten it, but BitLocker or LavaSoft Security (MUCH more secure program similar to BL, has changed name but LS is what I'm used to calling it) require encrypting and decrypting files, which result in slow load times and you have to specifically do it for any files you want to protect, full HDD encryption is a huge waste even if safe. I'm more talking about the people who think just a Windows password will keep them safe, if you are using other measures like encrypted files, then you don't need a Windows password anyways, making it even more obsolete:P Not saying passwords are bad, I'm saying that Windows password specifically is useless security-wise, BitLocker is great for security, but encrypting your whole HDD turns it into slow AF unless it's a higher-end system, so BIOS lock is the best non-encryption dependent way to go, especially for laptops which have hard-to-reach BIOS batteries. Basically my point is, don't use Windows password, use BIOS lock instead and then if you need extra security use BitLocker/Lavasoft/etc. for specific files only so it doesn't affect overall performance.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I can't say I have.

You need a password for SMB file shares to work.
Also it does provide some protection in case someone decided to crack your wifi or if you're on public wifi for some reason.

Last edited by The Real Jdbye,

ThoD

Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
I can't say I have.

You need a password for SMB file shares to work.
Also it does provide some protection in case someone decided to crack your wifi or if you're on public wifi for some reason.
If by the wifi thing you mean someone putting a RAT (Remote Access Tool, basically a greatly enhanced and in most countries illegal keylogging virus that allows for TONS of invisible data-stealing or even taking over your inputs and is often used by tech support scammers) in your PC, then password still doesn't protect you since most RATs easily ignore passwords altogether due to the built-in keylogger that is always included in all high-profile RATs that runs from the moment the OS is loaded, making it very easy to steal your password to bypass any locks. Also bypasses SMB restrictions, on top of nobody even using SMB to steal stuff anymore due to all the limitations.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
If by the wifi thing you mean someone putting a RAT (Remote Access Tool, basically a greatly enhanced and in most countries illegal keylogging virus that allows for TONS of invisible data-stealing or even taking over your inputs and is often used by tech support scammers) in your PC, then password still doesn't protect you since most RATs easily ignore passwords altogether due to the built-in keylogger that is always included in all high-profile RATs that runs from the moment the OS is loaded, making it very easy to steal your password to bypass any locks. Also bypasses SMB restrictions, on top of nobody even using SMB to steal stuff anymore due to all the limitations.
There are many ways to get into a PC if you have access to the local network, unpassworded accounts just makes it way easier. You need access to the PC to begin with to install a RAT.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, I'm doing alright, thanks.
    +1
  • Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans:
    That must be rough. Productive I'm sure but hard to balance with daily life
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Indeed. I've been working on getting this Infecutus chip to work on my PS2. But after soldering, I realised that a plastic piece was missing from the power ribbon cable to the power and eject buttons.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Now I could go with soldering the contacts from the cable to the connector on the mobo, but doesn't sound like a good permanent solution.
    Man, that's beyond my brain :rofl: I'm no good with hardware for now. I'd like to get into hardmods in future though
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Maybe start practice soldering. Get a cheap-ass soldering iron and follow some good YouTube tutorials.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Least my experience has gotten better than over a decade ago. My iron would constantly bump into components and break them.
    Sounds good. I actually did soldering but like 16 years ago for school so uuuuh probably rusty haha
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Same here. I did soldering at school from a teacher who I honestly liked since he had plenty of good electronics experience.
    +1
    I wish I could play chess well
    +1
    Useless but a true art
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, I had a friend who had a glass chess set for their birthday.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    It was like all clear and fancy. Tbf I'm not too experienced with chess, but would like to learn someday.
    That sounds really cool
    I know the basics but no strategy at all :rofl:
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Watch chess streamers on Twitch and you'll pick up a thing or two.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Not to mention there's an infinite number of chess games for every possible platform.
    +1
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    just play it, get beaten a few times and start dominating
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nude chess is best
    +1
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    strip checkers > nude chess
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nude checkers get jumped
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Veho, I guess you'd pick up something while watching tub streams.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @K3Nv2, Dick fights. :tpi:
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Turkish olive oil wrestling.
    +1
    Veho @ Veho: Turkish olive oil wrestling. +1