Have they removed spring loading for the TF slot?

Discussion in 'R4 DS' started by BlueStar, Jan 25, 2007.

Jan 25, 2007
  1. BlueStar
    OP

Member BlueStar GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    I got an R4 for gameyeeah (With the first batch card reader and keychain) and it had a spring loaded slot which worked fine. Then I heard of quite a few people getting a 'faulty' one with a supposedly broken spring loading slot.

I've just got 3 more of them for friends and the first thing I did was check for this flaw. They're all new batch with new card reader and keychain, and none of them seem to have any spring loading at all. You just slide it in and slide it out, like with the original blue card reader. Is this actually a fault and I've been incredibly unlucky, or is this a new design to avoid faulty cards not grabbing the TF card and springing them straight out?

Also, two of them didn't work first try and gave me "There is no DS card inserted", then worked after I took them out and put them back in again. Reckon I should ship them straight back or hand them out to my mates and see how they get on with them?

2. iamwhoiam

Member iamwhoiam Honorary R4 Fanboy

United Kingdom
    Does the new card look like the one over here:

http://scdev.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8728 ??

Because, they use the same MicroSD spring loader... maybe the ones in your batch are faulty? Does the spring slot look like the one that comes in the original card reader? Could you post a pic please?

3. BlueStar
    OP

United Kingdom
    OK - I tried one again, it slid in with no 'springyness', I pressed it down hard, got a nasty sounding clunk and it sprung right out. Tried it with all the others and the same thing happened. It's like the cards all shipped with the spring loader in 'locked' position (ie down)

Maybe this is why they've been breaking on the first use for a lot of people? I had to forceably pull the card out the first time I put it in

4. joe_gamer

Member joe_gamer GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I just got mine 2 days ago and it's spring loaded. I'm pretty sure it's the new batch.

5. N3CR0P57

Newcomer N3CR0P57 Advanced Member

Canada
    I just received my 2nd batch today.
    Way stiffer than the first batch. I was almost afraid to push the microSD in the shell.
    The more I play with it, the better it feels.
    Thanks for pointing this out. I would have never known, being that this batch is all for friends.

6. zone97

Member zone97 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    you guys.... I wish I had a friend that would go out and spend 120+ on flashcarts to give out.. [​IMG]

7. BlueStar
    OP

United Kingdom
    They are giving me cash you know [​IMG]

8. zektor

Member zektor GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    My card (second batch) was exactly the same way...locked in the closed position upon arrival. I had to do the same pushing the card down hard, as well as hearing that nasty crunch! Aferward, it's fine...although a little stiff. As much as people may think this spring load business is so great, I would honestly rather NOT have it. It is just in the back of my mind that it is bound to break sooner or later. Did the memory card still function ok when it was inserted while not spring loaded?

9. MidnightR

Newcomer MidnightR Member

United States
    It seems like it'd be better without the Spring loader. Maybe it could just slide right in like my SD card reader or adapter?

10. Icarus

Member Icarus fire walk with me

United States
    You might have damaged the spring system or something. I have ordered 2 R4's and one of them has this kind of problem. The thing is, you're not supposed to push the micro sd card all the way to the end, but push it gently and as soon as you hear a clicking, stop pushing. That works for me. But If I push it all the way(and ignore the clicking sound), it springs out. If you need to take off the card, just push it..

11. greyhound

Member greyhound GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United Kingdom
    mine is spring loaded, i only just received mine from gameyeeeah.com. However, the card was difficult to push in at first.

12. neoice

Newcomer neoice Advanced Member

Canada
    So regarding the spring thing.
    IF they changed the case and tighten the screw too much. It may screw up the spring. So just get them to loosen the screw a bit.

13. darksavior

Member darksavior GBAtemp Regular

United States
    hehe recieved my R4 today. thought it had no spring. took out microsd with tweezers but then the spring kicked in. working good [​IMG]
    The newer grey card reader seems to be better than that trashy blue one so far,no problems yet.

14. trinest

Newcomer trinest Advanced Member

Australia
    *gives $5* will u buy me a flash card?

15. Gnuh

Newcomer Gnuh Member

United States
    I must have been lucky since my R4 has a working spring and the usb reader (blue one) works fine.