Hacking Have they removed spring loading for the TF slot?

BlueStar

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I got an R4 for gameyeeah (With the first batch card reader and keychain) and it had a spring loaded slot which worked fine. Then I heard of quite a few people getting a 'faulty' one with a supposedly broken spring loading slot.

I've just got 3 more of them for friends and the first thing I did was check for this flaw. They're all new batch with new card reader and keychain, and none of them seem to have any spring loading at all. You just slide it in and slide it out, like with the original blue card reader. Is this actually a fault and I've been incredibly unlucky, or is this a new design to avoid faulty cards not grabbing the TF card and springing them straight out?

Also, two of them didn't work first try and gave me "There is no DS card inserted", then worked after I took them out and put them back in again. Reckon I should ship them straight back or hand them out to my mates and see how they get on with them?

BlueStar

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
OK - I tried one again, it slid in with no 'springyness', I pressed it down hard, got a nasty sounding clunk and it sprung right out. Tried it with all the others and the same thing happened. It's like the cards all shipped with the spring loader in 'locked' position (ie down)

Maybe this is why they've been breaking on the first use for a lot of people? I had to forceably pull the card out the first time I put it in

N3CR0P57

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
I just received my 2nd batch today.
Way stiffer than the first batch. I was almost afraid to push the microSD in the shell.
The more I play with it, the better it feels.
Thanks for pointing this out. I would have never known, being that this batch is all for friends.

zone97

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
you guys.... I wish I had a friend that would go out and spend 120+ on flashcarts to give out..
smile.gif

zektor

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My card (second batch) was exactly the same way...locked in the closed position upon arrival. I had to do the same pushing the card down hard, as well as hearing that nasty crunch! Aferward, it's fine...although a little stiff. As much as people may think this spring load business is so great, I would honestly rather NOT have it. It is just in the back of my mind that it is bound to break sooner or later. Did the memory card still function ok when it was inserted while not spring loaded?

MidnightR

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It seems like it'd be better without the Spring loader. Maybe it could just slide right in like my SD card reader or adapter?

Icarus

fire walk with me
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
OK - I tried one again, it slid in with no 'springyness', I pressed it down hard, got a nasty sounding clunk and it sprung right out. Tried it with all the others and the same thing happened. It's like the cards all shipped with the spring loader in 'locked' position (ie down)

Maybe this is why they've been breaking on the first use for a lot of people? I had to forceably pull the card out the first time I put it in
You might have damaged the spring system or something. I have ordered 2 R4's and one of them has this kind of problem. The thing is, you're not supposed to push the micro sd card all the way to the end, but push it gently and as soon as you hear a clicking, stop pushing. That works for me. But If I push it all the way(and ignore the clicking sound), it springs out. If you need to take off the card, just push it..

neoice

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
So regarding the spring thing.
IF they changed the case and tighten the screw too much. It may screw up the spring. So just get them to loosen the screw a bit.

darksavior

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hehe recieved my R4 today. thought it had no spring. took out microsd with tweezers but then the spring kicked in. working good
wink.gif

The newer grey card reader seems to be better than that trashy blue one so far,no problems yet.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: @salazarcosplay yeah cod's still up