Have there been any advances in 3DS save dumps?

Discussion in '3DS - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by Pedeadstrian, Dec 9, 2012.

1. Pedeadstrian
    OP

Member Pedeadstrian GBAtemp's Official frill-necked lizard.

United States
    I ask because I want to buy a 3DS, but don't want to buy any games. I'm not talking about piracy though, I was considering a video game rental service. That way, if my A.D.D. makes me dislike most of the games I play, I'm not really out of a ton of money. Unfortunately, saves are stored on cartridges, so if I found a game I enjoyed, I'd most likely wanted to play it again at a later date, or buy it myself. Even if I only finish one game a month, I can save money that way.

So.. is it possible? The last thing I read on this site was using the thread here: http://gbatemp.net/threads/how-to-dump-your-own-3ds-ds-games-saves.274290/ but that information is almost 2 years old now, and seemed pretty what if-y.

2. loco365

Member loco365 GBAtemp Guru

You can dump saves, and some can be decrypted, but I don't think you can flash an edited save on. However, you can flash a blank save to a card.

I know that much can be done with the R4iSaveDongle.

JoelLittle likes this.
  3. Pedeadstrian
    OP

United States
    I must've not been thinking when I posted, because there's no point to copying a save from a cartridge if you can't put it back on one.. is there any way you can make a cartridge read a save from the SD card? I doubt it, but hackers are pretty creative nowadays. It'd be nice to play all of the new/upcoming games without having to pay $30+ each.

4. loco365

Member loco365 GBAtemp Guru

That'd involve hacking the system, and that hasn't been done yet.

That decapping thing that occurred recently may lead to something.

JoelLittle likes this.
  5. Pedeadstrian
    OP

United States
    Ah, SEM, looks fancy. Alright, I don't mind waiting for Shin Megami Tensei IV or Devil Survivor Overclocked. I'll be sure to keep an eye on that, thanks.