Gaming Have I bought Counterfeit?

Tobo

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Dear all,

I have bought two GBA Pokemon games from someone at work, and I think they might be ...dodgy!

They are Pokemon Yellow Version and Pokemon Green Version, both on GBA cartridges. Unfortunately, they only work about 1 in 3 times on my DSLite and now I actually search on Google, the only mention I can find of these Pokemons on the GBA are Zelda like games, and these two are clearly platformers!

Any help much appreciated.

Tobo

Jamstruth

Secondary Feline Anthropomorph
Trophies
XP
Country
Pokemon Yellow on a GBA cart. Hmm... I wonder if that's counterfeit?

OF COURSE THEY ARE! I would've bought them anyway because I like counterfeit games. I own Pokemon Diamond for the GBC. I want to see some pics of the carts and the games themselves. Really quite interested.

Edit: Also this is the wrong section. It should go under GBA Discussions. MOD!!

ferdi-t

Trophies
Website
ferdi-t.hyves.nl
XP
Country
Netherlands
I once bought a counterfeit on eBay without knowing it. It was no pron, the game was allright and so was the price. The cart looked pretty real, but the booklet was quite dodgy. Afterwards I was told the best way to recognise a counterfeit is it to look at the booklet and the paper inlay. If it looks xeroxed, it most likely is.

Searinox

"Dances" with Dragons
Trophies
XP
Country
Romania
Yellow? Green? Those are GAMEBOY games. GB games are NOT compatible with the GBA slot on the Nintendo DS. Can you get them to work AT ALL? They're either converted to GBA ROMs(it's possible to put one or more GB games into one GBA ROM and use GBA mode as a GB emulator) or they are outright Gameboy games put into GBA-shaped cartridges. Green wasn't even released in English ever so what you have is either in jap or unofficially translated to eng.

True GBA carts have a trench on the back corners, so you can fit them into the DS while classic GB don't have that so they won't fit into a DS. This notch is USUALLY mandatory if you're putting a GB game into a GBA as it trips a little switch and the GBA knows to power up in GB mode. Ofcourse being a bootleg this may or may not have been respected.

If you say it does work SOMETIMES then I'd go for the fact that you have GB ROMs running in an emulated GBA environment since GB mode is not supported on the DS at all - a complete waste - like buying an expensive audio system to listen to an old scratched record to it.

Yep, you've been had. At the same time you seem to have used Google SUBSEQUENTLY to figure out what the problem was. Try using google BEFORE you buy next time.

Recorderdude

Musician, Animator, Buffoon.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Tobo said:
Dear all,

I have bought two GBA Pokemon games from someone at work, and I think they might be ...dodgy!

They are Pokemon Yellow Version and Pokemon Green Version, both on GBA cartridges. Unfortunately, they only work about 1 in 3 times on my DSLite and now I actually search on Google, the only mention I can find of these Pokemons on the GBA are Zelda like games, and these two are clearly platformers!

Any help much appreciated.

Tobo

cmon gaiz, it's not gb pokemans on a gba cart.

I have tons of knowledge on bootlegs like these.

anything like this?

Pokemon Ruby Version 3
bootleg_ruby301.jpg

Brandon writes: "I'm emailing about a bootleg pokemon game that my friend traded with me. He says he got it from Cyprus. It's a sidescroller and you shoot electric ball things. I have attached 6 screenshots of the game. It seems to be an OK game. I can't really say much, as I've only played it twice."
bootleg_ruby302.jpg

bootleg_ruby303.jpg

bootleg_ruby304.jpg

bootleg_ruby305.jpg

bootleg_ruby306.jpg

if it is something of the like, and you have a ds and slot1 cart also, then I suggest you try to dump them http://vba-m.com/forum/dump-your-gba-games...a-ds-t-412.html even just for yourself, for preservation's sake, before you return them to your co-worker.

Often there are very few copies of pirate originals, and if someone doesn't dump them, they're gone forever. Of course, this is your choice, but there are a lot of cool games that remain undumped with only a few copies in the world left (some notable ones being pokemon ii (genesis) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FWGSHzP0qUc and pokemon silver and gold (SNES) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O5dc4YuzSlo. these have music from other games but are otherwise completely original.) The difference between SNES and GEN pirates and GBA pirates is quite obvious, though, being that SNES/GEN dumpers are really expensive and GBA dumpers can be really cheap slot1 carts (namely r4s)

Tobo

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Okay, nice bunch of [charming] replies, guys.

Not being a Pokemon fan, I couldn't tell you if yellow was GB, or green was GBA or ...whatever! That's why I asked - I thought, politely.

However, as my original post seems to have put some people in doubt as to what I meant, here's some pics:

The carts -

pic1tx.jpg

The screens for the green version -

pic3zw.jpg

pic2sl.jpg

The Yellow version is very similar: platformers.

I will be getting my money back on Monday. I'm a big lad.

* By the way, that's a DSLite they're playing on.

T.

Recorderdude

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Tobo said:

Not being a Pokemon fan, I couldn't tell you if yellow was GB, or green was GBA or ...whatever! That's why I asked - I thought, politely.

However, as my original post seems to have put some people in doubt as to what I meant, here's some pics:

The carts -

pic1tx.jpg

pic3zw.jpg

pic2sl.jpg

T.

Sorry if i was a tad rude, I get a little excited around rarities of this type
tongue.gif

Yes, these are obviously similar to the one I posted! congratulations on your find!

Now go ahead and beat the shite of that crook that stole your hard-earned cash in exchange for non-pokeman pokemans. YOU ARE A MAN!

Well, either way, have fun
smile.gif

EDIT: To clarify EXACTLY what they are, those are known and dumped NES games on a GBA cart (using some type of pocketnes I presume - which explains partially why it has problems booting. I'm playing green right now from my NES goodset and it is exactly the same as yours. No need to dump them
biggrin.gif
The rom name is Pokemon Green (Unl) (!) and here's a video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GvG-E4sObH8

Frogman

This could be you!
Trophies
Website
www.frogmanreviews.com
XP
Country
Tobo said:

The carts -

pic1tx.jpg

pic3zw.jpg

pic2sl.jpg

T.

Please dump them, Games like this are really rare to find!!

Recorderdude

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Coreyfrog7 said:
Tobo said:

The carts -

pic1tx.jpg

pic3zw.jpg

pic2sl.jpg

T.

Please dump them

HAHA! Read my post please, buddy
wink.gif

me
EDIT: To clarify EXACTLY what they are, those are known and dumped NES games on a GBA cart (using some type of pocketnes I presume - which explains partially why it has problems booting. I'm playing green right now from my NES goodset and it is exactly the same as yours. No need to dump them The rom name is Pokemon Green (Unl) (!) and here's a video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GvG-E4sObH8

EDIT: Also, pokemon yellow is a hack of felix the cat (NES) and Green is original, i think.

yellow is "pokemon yellow (Unl) (!)"

Frogman

This could be you!
Trophies
Website
www.frogmanreviews.com
XP
Country
personuser said:
coreyfrog7 said:
Please dump them

HAHA! Read my post please, buddy
wink.gif

meEDIT: To clarify EXACTLY what they are, those are known and dumped NES games on a GBA cart (using some type of pocketnes I presume - which explains partially why it has problems booting. I'm playing green right now from my NES goodset and it is exactly the same as yours. No need to dump them The rom name is Pokemon Green (Unl) (!) and here's a video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GvG-E4sObH8

Oh sorry ahah your post wasnt edited when i read the thread

Jamstruth

Trophies
XP
Country
Awesome little games. I would totally pay for them (because I'm just that mental) most GBA Pokemon knockoffs are just ROMhacks that have been put onto a cartridge (sometimes without the original patch makers' consent) and therefore not too interesting. A couple of ported NES games is interesting. See if you can access the PocketNES menu to confirm they are running that (Press L+R and something should come up if its running PocketNES). The game doesn't seem too stretched though which confuses me somewhat... But then i'm not too good at spotting 4:3 to 16:9 stretching unless its a circle.

Jamstruth

Trophies
XP
Country
Clear was used for all GBC exclusive carts. Any original GB (black and white only) games came in Grey and square with notch out. Any GB/C games were black with notch out (this was the most common type really). Any Pokemon games were in the colour of the game's version. This was kept up until DS days (Diamond etc) where the cart was so small that changing colour wasn't important.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: I really don't want to buy this fap tab...