Hacking Have a PS3 Fat I bought used with 3.55 OFW and need CFW help.

KazeGaara

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I snagged a pretty sweet deal of a PS3 fat 80gb model that is in great condition that came upgraded with 750gb HDD. It's on 3.55 but I have no clue where to start with CFW. Any tips and links to the absolute most up to date and safe guides along with the best CFW options? Looking into mainly using the system for playing PS3 and PS2 isos! Thanks! :creep:

Also since it is a fat model is there any methods of absolute YLOD prevention?

mikey420

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
To prevent ylod I would recommend a good cleaning and fresh thermal compound under and on the heat shields. After that use a cobra enables cfw (rebug 4.81.2 is the best option.) With it installed and the rebug toolbox installed you can enable cobra and webman. Use the fan control setting in webman to keep your system at a good temp. (I always set it to 65 degrees)

Other than that install the latest multi man and psnpatch. Then you will be set to use your system. The webman plugin can mount games ps3 ps1 and with poor support ps2 and PSP to be loaded through the disc icon or in the case of PSP the cobra PSP launcher. Multiman is there of course as a file manager and in the case webman fails to do its job... Psnpatch when the plugin is installed will disable psn until you use the button combo to enable it. (It also disables all cfw syscalls and unmounts all plugins. It may or may not delete your system log. I'm not sure on that) this males psn use less likely to result in a ban.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

If this is a BC unit ps2 works perfect. Non BC units have poor support.

Reactions: KazeGaara

KazeGaara

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the reply! Nice info. Another thing. Okay so I actually checked my system for the first time and it had some old cfw with Multi Man already installed. The thing that is weird to me here is that when in multiman the firware says 3.55 but when on the regular xmb it says 4.00. Anyone have any ideas as to what that means?

Edit: Nevermind the 4.00 thing. I just found out its just a spoofed. But anyway about webman and keeping the system temperature at certain levels. Is using that enough to prevent YLoD? I don't think I am brave enough to tinker too much with the insides. Though I did see an awesome mod I kind of want to try that involves drilling holes in different areas of the system to keep it cool at all times.

Last edited by KazeGaara,

mikey420

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The fan control may be enough to help but the thermal compound should be replaced to be sure. If you find the fans are always at a high level but they aren't keeping it cool this is the solution.

KazeGaara

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the answers! I have one more thing I want to know. This ps3 seems to have been tinkered with alot and I would like to format the entire thing completely. Removing the old CFW on it and just deleting everything on through a full format. I just don't know how to uninstall the the current CFW and how to quickly format the drive that says takes 43 hours!

Reactions: mikey420

mikey420

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well the drive may take some time but I doubt that long. As for uninstalling the cfw you don't need to. Just install the latest rebug cfw and format. You'll likely be promoted to reinstall firmware with the format. Just again install the latest rebug and you will be on a fresh rebug 4.81.2 console. As for quick format there should be an option in the settings but Idk where

Deleted member 333767

Trophies
XP
Open it up, clean out the dust with a can of compressed air.

Re-apply arctic silver 5 thermal paste to the CPU and GPU and put the heatsinks back on.

Install webman and use it to crank the fan up (warning fat models are LOUD)

KazeGaara

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks brothers. Last thing I want to know. As a I mentioned before I want to format the system because I want to start on a clean slate. The only thing is that it says it will take 2 days to complete but can the system overheat and possibly die during that since it has to be on for so long?

fatsquirrel

Trophies
XP
Country
They already told you it's not going to take that long. That timer is anything but accurate. 2tb disc took around 2h if I remember correctly

Also I left mine on for 1 week with no problems. Left for vacations and forgot to turn it off

Last edited by fatsquirrel,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Well start walking towards them +1