Hacking Hate to ask... proper way to setup/backup NANDs?

Kenneth196

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi all. Really hate to ask this question (and it probably belongs in the Noob thread to be honest).

Just received my 9.0 N3DS XL yesterday. I have a GW, 64GB micro (for internal) and a 32GB micro (for the red card).

Prepped CN, backed up my sysnand, and formatted my emunand. Then, reformatted my sysnand (to unlink them), backed that sysnand up (I overwrote the first sysnand back-up). I knew I needed to backup my emunand, so I used emunand tool and selected "extract emunand". Now, I just get a black screen when I try to boot into gateway mode/emunand.

I guess it's happening since I extracted the emunand, so it's no longer there (I thought extracting it would have simply copied it to my laptop).

Hate to ask such a simple question, but can someone provide me simple steps on how to successfully set-up, back-up, and unlink both nands?

JustPingo

Trophies
XP
Country
France
1. Format emuNAND on Gateway Menu.
2. Backup sysNAND on Gateway Menu.
3. Unplug the SD card.
4. Format sysNAND in System Settings.
5. Plug the SD card back.

Tada!

If you want to backup emuNAND extract it with emuNAND tools, it should not disappears.
I have no idea what happened to you.

Reactions: Kenneth196

Kenneth196

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
3. Unplug the SD card.

Tada!

If you want to backup emuNAND extract it with emuNAND tools, it should not disappears.

Just what I needed - thanks! I did it in a weird way (backed-up sysnand first, then formatted emunand, then formatted sysnand and backed it up again). I was all over the place. I'll take your advice and try it when I get home later. Thanks again!

Kenneth196

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
3. Unplug the SD card.

Tada!

Double posting (sorry!). Just posting to say that it worked like a charm. I have 2 different folders under my "Nintendo 3DS" folder on my root and Gateway Mode/EmuNAND is booting up perfectly. Also installed the new launcher/method and was able to boot directly into emunand with mSet/DS Profile.

One more quick question. Since my nands are unlinked, I know that I can safely go to Data Management on SysNand (not that I would need to) and my .cia files would not be deleted. Does this apply to my EmuNand as well (not that I would ever need to go)?

JustPingo

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Double posting (sorry!). Just posting to say that it worked like a charm. I have 2 different folders under my "Nintendo 3DS" folder on my root and Gateway Mode/EmuNAND is booting up perfectly. Also installed the new launcher/method and was able to boot directly into emunand with mSet/DS Profile.

One more quick question. Since my nands are unlinked, I know that I can safely go to Data Management on SysNand (not that I would need to) and my .cia files would not be deleted. Does this apply to my EmuNand as well (not that I would ever need to go)?

It will work like a charm.

Kenneth196

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It will work like a charm.

Nice. Ok ONE more question :P Trying to install how .cia installers (BBM in particular). So basically, you put a .cia file on your micro SD/SD (N3DS/O3DS), and import the .cia file. At that point, can you safely delete that .cia file, since the game is installed? Also, since the game is installed/imported at that point, where is it at on the micro SD/SD card (or will it be hidden)? Annnddddd... the only way to delete it is through BBM?

JustPingo

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Yes, feel free to delete the .cia, when it's installed it's in the Nintendo 3DS folder, and to delete it you have to select it in the first page of BBM and press X.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: I'm devastated