Homebrew Has anyone tried using PDF as an exploit?

FR0ZN

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
just wondering if it would be possible to create a hidden payload inside a pdf file to access homebrew?

It's not about hiding a payload, it would be about finding a bug in the PDF parser which could be exploited with a "maliciously" crafted PDF and from there take over the browser process.

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

Ne2buntu

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
How would you open the pdf file? A Wii U can't read a pdf file.

In facts, Wii U can read PDF natively. The Manuals of N64 Virtual Console (and maybe others) are just online PDF's.

You can see here a demo where I replaced the PDF file path by a MP4 payload in Ocarina Of Time N64 VC on Wii U. But this was made on an already hacked console (to modify the path of the file).

CXNELP

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In facts, Wii U can read PDF natively. The Manuals of N64 Virtual Console (and maybe others) are just online PDF's.

You can see here a demo where I replaced the PDF file path by a MP4 payload in Ocarina Of Time N64 VC on Wii U. But this was made on an already hacked console (to modify the path of the file).

Yeah but really that's pretty much just the old exploit but using pdf to access it instead of the gate

KiiWii

Editorial Team
Editorial Team
Trophies
Website
defaultdnb.github.io
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I could be wrong here, but:

Wasn't there a way (on PS3) years ago to intercept a pkg from Sony, to your laptop, replace it with your own, and send your file disguised as sonys to the PS3?

This is pretty useless exploitwise until it can link to something useful, but it wouldn't require a hacked console to start it.

Ne2buntu

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France

Wasn't there a way (on PS3) years ago to intercept a pkg from Sony, to your laptop, replace it with your own, and send your file disguised as sonys to the PS3?

This is pretty useless exploitwise until it can link to something useful, but it wouldn't require a hacked console to start it.

Yep, it was just done by using a proxy. M8b it can be used here, no idea (I got no free time this days....). If i find some free time these days, I will try to see this possibility

Last edited by Ne2buntu,
Reactions: KiiWii

CXNELP

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I believe you are talking about the backup exploit where you insert a pkg file into your backup then restore it through the backup utility, though the wii u does not have anything like that. Also installing wii u roms is impossible without CFW and even if you managed to install a modified version of a game I'm pretty sure you'd need CFW to actually run it.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Yep, it was just done by using a proxy. M8b it can be used here, no idea (I got no free time this days....). If i find some free time these days, I will try to see this possibility
Huh, I guess I didnt know about this one lol, can I have a link?

D

Deleted User

Wii U browser is able to load .pdf files. That's how Nintendo loads instructions books in VC games.
But, can you exploit using .pdf? I heard there was one exploit for it that malwared your PC but that's all

OrGoN3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Doh. Wii U prior to 4.0.0 cannot natively read PDF. :( I suck.

If the in-game manuals simply point to online PDFs, can't you simply run that through a proxy, intercept, and return the mp4 package instead of the pdf package?

gudenau

Largely ignored
Trophies
Website
www.gudenau.net
XP
Country
United States
Doh. Wii U prior to 4.0.0 cannot natively read PDF. :( I suck.

If the in-game manuals simply point to online PDFs, can't you simply run that through a proxy, intercept, and return the mp4 package instead of the pdf package?
Probably not, plus if it's using the browser that's patched anyway. Now to screw up a PDF....

Reactions: KiiWii

epicmartin7

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey guys, take this with a grain of salt, but apparently footage has appeared of a new exploit within the Internet Browser on 5.5.2.

https://twitter.com/shixhax/status/891013292407304192

Now, of course, just like the last one it could be fake. However, there's something interesting I notice. If you look at the screen that pops up before the exploit is supposedly triggered, you can see what looks like a PDF file screen.

I say that because there's no buffering whatsoever, and I can't seem to find the video playback numbers at all.

Again, skepticism is required, but I just wanted to point all of this out.

EDIT: Seems like the twitter account was just made today. Take this with even more of a grain of salt.

Last edited by epicmartin7,
Reactions: OrdinaryFefan-
D

Deleted User

Hey guys, take this with a grain of salt, but apparently footage has appeared of a new exploit within the Internet Browser on 5.5.2.

https://twitter.com/shixhax/status/891013292407304192

Now, of course, just like the last one it could be fake. However, there's something interesting I notice. If you look at the screen that pops up before the exploit is supposedly triggered, you can see what looks like a PDF file screen.

I say that because there's no buffering whatsoever, and I can't seem to find the video playback numbers at all.

Again, skepticism is required, but I just wanted to point all of this out.

EDIT: Seems like the twitter account was just made today. Take this with even more of a grain of salt.
It could be fake. As far as I know there is no such thing as homebrew launcher beta 5.5.2. That seems suspicious to me

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @salazarcosplay, Morning