Misc Has anyone attempted to abuse the Nintendo Zone streetpass relay?

Jimbolicious

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can pretty much confirm ssid does matter. I couldn't get a hit if I use Bestbuy but on the same mac I got a hit if I use attwifi.
Did you setup Bestbuy in your 3DS as a connection in your 3DS settings? You have to do this. Just did Bestbuy on .46. Got nothing until I added it to my list. ,Add I'm about to post my results.

Skullx

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've been getting successful street passes so far from using :46 - :51 and :53, but getting nothing on :52. This is with attwifi.

Jimbolicious

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
OK YES!!!! We can definitely now say with certainty that SSID matters. Here's what happened with my test:

3DS#1(Jimbo) seeded the MAC I used using SSID _The Cloud
Now I connected to MAC with SSID attwifi using my 3DS#2(BOSS)...... No response

So now either 1 of 2 things potentially have happened. Either I made a mistake, or the MAC is seeded on _The Cloud with Jimbo and seeded on attwifi with BOSS

3DS#3 connects to MAC with _The Cloud. Jimbo comes through.
3DS#4 connects to MAC with attwifi. BOSS comes through.

So here's what we now know. You can still only use a MAC once every 8 hours regardless of SSID. Connected to MAC with 3DS#1 using SSID attwifi and got no response. But we now know that the MACs can be simultaneously seeded with Mii's from different SSIDs and the SSID you use will be the one you pull.

So now we need to decide on what SSID to use. I stand behind attwifi 100% and here's why. I don't like _The Cloud because the _ can't be used on Android devices so it cuts out a segment of users. I also despise the SSID Bestbuy. Yes it works but it requires the added step of adding it as one of the 3 wireless connections. This is has many drawbacks. For one it takes up a connection, that's annoying. 2 and my biggest complaint, You have to power cycle your 3DS between each MAC change. Simply disabling the 3DS wireless, changing the MAC, and the turning the 3DS wireless back on never worked for me. I'd love for some to say it wasn't that way for them though then I'd know it's my equipment. Plus, this creates one more setting people have to mess it. People are having a hard enough time getting it to work, this would be just another potential failure point for them and we need to make this as easy and as least complicated as possible.

arapozo

Trophies
XP
Country
Can someone help me test if the only problem I have is with the MAC spoofig?
I'm using attwifi as the SSID with the MAC: 00:1C:F0:3A:56:7D because for the life of me I can't get dd-wrt to change it's MAC Address.

mattmc

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
OK YES!!!! We can definitely now say with certainty that SSID matters. Here's what happened with my test: ...

Well that explains a lot. I was pulling my hair out trying to figure out what was going on yesterday while I was working on this. Now I have my answer: the Bestbuy SSID just wasn't that common. That's both a relief and kind of aggravating. But at least we have an answer now.

Reactions: Jimbolicious

Jimbolicious

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think that besides the prime macs, we should have a seperate series for different games. leaving the primes for general streetpassing.
I don't think it'd matter that much. I still think your chancing of hitting the same person multiple times would be low so there would be no benefit. Besides we learned earlier game specific passes stay on the MAC for the next person if the person receiving the pass doesn't take it so you're almost always gonna get a pass for your game.

Jimbolicious

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can someone help me test if the only problem I have is with the MAC spoofig?
I'm using attwifi as the SSID with the MAC: 00:1C:F0:3A:56:7D because for the life of me I can't get dd-wrt to change it's MAC Address.
Nino from Arizona? Then yes I got you. So on the plus side yes you are communication and in 8 hours you can use this setting to get my Mii.

JRave

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I hate asking this, because I have a feeling it won't happen.. But can we change some of those Prime MACs to start with 42: instead of 40: ? Anyone doing this spoofing via Windows will be unable to use all but 2 of the MAC's listed on the spreadsheet.

Chaldron

GBATemp's Official Attorney
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I have 2 routers, one I use for everyday wifi (fast, new, and WPA2 secured.) and an old one (the linksys BEFW11S4 to be exact) and I can only "MAC Clone". The router shows it's mac is the one we are using, but running arp-a shows it is a completely different one. I'd be able to pick up another WRT54G but I'm wondering, if there is

a. anyway to do it from windows (I have 2 nics and Windows 8)

or

b. do it on my router

i do play a few PC games which are not supported on linux. I'll see if there are ports but I doubt it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Have you jail broke your ps4 yet?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I've been on since 9.0
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Are you gonna do your ps5 if the hack comes? Is there worries of bans, like the ps3
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Probably not I got cross play friends
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    By then I'll have some little mini pc anyway
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    only ps5 updated to latest firmware can go on psn, jailbroken ones just don't use psn or they risk getting flagged or banned, altho spouting profanity in online play alredy does that
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Keep current Gen consoles stock mod last gen imo
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    Anyone dumb enough to get banned for spouting profanity deserves it.
    +1
  • Y @ YuseiFD:
    Then how come you do it and don't get banned ? or is it a question of getting caught doing it ?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    wtf is the point of banning swearing in games? that's utterly a dumb decision

the new generation playing MWII won't be as hardened as the previous one playing original MW2
  • Veho @ Veho:
    What's the point of video games? Kids playing video games won't be as hardened as the previous ones getting shoved down a hillside.
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    exactly my point
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    kids, yall are fucking pussies, grow some asshair before you even dare touch My Friend Peppa Pig or Mario's Early Years
    +1
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    ddddddddddddddddddddddd
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    my fingie hurt
  • HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl:
    Why?
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    hangnail thing I think
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    ... that's rough buddy
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    This parrot is no more it has ceased to be!
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    peepee
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: :D:)