Has anybody tried backporting regional differences?

Deleted member 354686

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As everyone knows, games are released in multiple regions, the general ones being Japan, North America, and Europe. And as you probably know as well, the games we get in each reason are slightly different beyond language edits. But while most of the edits are cultural and/or censorship changes, as well as different title screens, credits, and copyright dates. However, many games receive various improvements in each regional release after the first one, ones that have a moderate to significant effect on the game's gameplay and/or presentation. You can view a list of games with regional differences here. What I'm talking about right now is the games that go through actual gameplay and presentational improvements, not the former regional differences. Basically, if you're stuck playing the "inferior" version because the game was released in your country first (this is especially bad for North Americans like me because Japan and/or a PAL region usually gets the game last), you're kind of out of luck. I feel kind of ripped off in a sense. Although, as documented in that link, games sometimes do get re-released in the countries that originally got the "inferior" version with the improvements, such as Final Fantasy VII International or Shindou Super Mario 64, usually they come with even more improvements that will never leave that country, essentially doing nothing to close the cycle. I'm wondering if anyone's tried to make ROM patches backporting these differences to the "inferior" versions. All I could find was this one for the European version of The Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap, and it doesn't even account for all the changes. If not, I would be interested in starting some projects.

(Personally, one of the games I got the "inferior" version of as a North American and wish I could experience the "superior" version of was Super Mario Bros. Deluxe. The Japanese version came out 10 months after the American one, and it got some pretty cool improvements like more reasonable target scores for the challenge levels, you being able to keep your power-up after saving and quitting, and also you being able to clear the high score table without erasing the rest of your data.)

Last edited by Deleted member 354686,

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Despite some interesting exceptions on the DS and even 360 (I recall posting about a snowboarding game had a bonus rerelease in the US where the PAL world was still set to get the base game) if we are going back to the 16 bit and older world I will happily trade some PAL bugfixes for the proper speed and no borders.

On fixing games... yes and no.

Things like Final Fantasy 6 have been extensively analysed, see some of the stuff Novalia Spirit did for said game. These often get fixed, and combined into some kind of megafix patch. This is less looking at official patches and more just fixing the game straight up.

In most cases though it is usually easier* to backport the text (there might be some extras but the bulk will be the same) to the chosen ROM rather than faff around fixing the one that donated its text.

*more work but text hacking is usually easier than full on debugging and assembly hacking.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
It is not that such a thing is without merit but everybody understands it and other than the potential confusion between the North American take and Japanese (possibly also Brazil) there is no compelling reason to change so I doubt you will see it go away.

Deleted member 354686

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In most cases though it is usually easier* to backport the text (there might be some extras but the bulk will be the same) to the chosen ROM rather than faff around fixing the one that donated its text.

*more work but text hacking is usually easier than full on debugging and assembly hacking.

So I took your advice and looked at the Japanese version of Super Mario Bros. Deluxe. It looks like it needs a little text and graphic editing, but the game is mostly still in English.

Unfortunately, looking at it with a hex editor, I can't seem to find the uncompressed text. Hmm...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=PKZFk5t3czs&list=RDPKZFk5t3czs&start_radio=1&rv=1lsn2tT5yTc