Australia

jalaneme

Female Gamer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
This thread has me thinking of this horrible old Keanu Reeves sci-fi movie (had Ice-T in it too) called Johnny Mnemonic.

What I'm not understanding though about the significance of this ... is the storage medium some sort of synthetic substance containing synthetic (non-bio) DNA? Otherwise how could it last "for hundreds of thousands of years in a box in your garage?" If the answer is yes, then I guess I'm more impressed by the idea that we can make synthetic DNA than by the amount of data it can store.

i love that movie, it's a classic, we wouldn't even think that this teleology can exist now, i like the internet is used in the movie too.

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
One thing I don't get is why when there are 4 bases in DNA, each base only represents 1 binary digit. The way I see it, with 4 bases, there is the potential for each base representing 2 binary digits. e.g. Adenine = 00; Thymine = 01; Cytosine = 10; Guanine = 11. As it is, it appears that both Adenine and Cytosine (a and c) represent 0 and Thymine and Guanine (T and G) both represent 1. In my mind, using each base to represent two binary digits should double the storage potential of DNA. Of course, there is probably a good reason for them not doing it this way; better minds than mine have clearly been working on this, they would no doubt have considered it. Perhaps it is as a protection against DNA mutation? (less chance of a mutation actually mattering; e.g. if an a base is mutated, there is a 1 in 3 chance it will still have the same value (by becoming a c base instead); if each base represented two digits, if any base is mutated, there is a 100% chance the value represented will be changed).

Also, seeing as only one strand actually matters (the other is just complimentary to it i.e. all 1s become 0s and all 0s become 1s) , and DNA is double stranded, it strikes me that it could be more efficient to use RNA, which is single stranded. Would (in my mind) half the mass of the storage medium. Again, I am sure there are numerous valid reasons for them not doing it this way.

Anyway, regardless of what I mentioned above, this is a rather interesting development. Although the responses in this thread make me doubt somewhat that people fully understand what this means; it's not a case of storing data inside a human beings DNA (although the article does mention that that is possible on a short term scale), it's about synthesising a substance that is essentially the same as DNA and using it as a storage medium, reading it with DNA sequencing hardware. As has probably been said, it's quite slow compared to hard drives, especially solid state and flash drives. It'd not be a case of storing movies or whatever on it, the read times would be far too slow. It'd be more useful as an archiving mechanism, allowing storage of an immense amount of data in a physically minute space, and for a very long time. Stuff that doesn't need accessed on a daily basis, but could potentially need referenced some day.

EDIT: As a side note, the OP mentions that the human genome (3 billion base pairs) can, with modern technology, be sequenced in a few hours. As a reference point, you should know that the amount of data stored by the Harvard scientists was about 2064150 times more. Now I guess you shouldn't have to sequence the entire DNA sample to find the data you need (the first 16 bases should give the "address" of that strand, letting you know if it's the right strand or not, and then you can move onto the next instead of doing all the subsequent bases), but it could still take a while I think. Although perhaps I have made some error in my calculations/thought process.

"Do a science"

triassic911

Burst Mode
Trophies
Website
google.com
XP
Country
United States

Vulpes Abnocto

Not Dead Yet
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
We'll all have USB ports in our heads and shit!
z3VxR.jpg

Well there's the problem; Your USB port is upside down.
Did you have Mexican food for lunch?​

Reactions: 6 people

Jan1tor

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
This would be fantastic for storing and cloneing a lifetime of memories into retrievable DNA data. WOW just think in the future we could actually start pirating memories and storing them as our own if we want. Or build a collective mind with multiple DNA storage devices.

Psionic Roshambo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Genetically engineered cables ring the earth, bio computers help mankind into a new golden age. Now the leader of the terrorist organization plots to inject his own evil DNA program into the DNA computer known as Linda enabling him to gain control of the synthetic police force as the first step towards world domination!

Could be the start of a cool sci fi movie or some other type of movie.... lol

Edit: "I'm about to upload..... Aahhh!!!" lol

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    S @ salazarcosplay: @BakerMan why does sonykill their games