Homebrew Hardware Question: I was charging my n3DS and accidentally spilled water on it.

astrangeone

OP
Trophies
Website
www.shophandmade.com
XP
Country
Canada
Woke up at 2 am, got a drink of water. Spilled it, and I think I spilled it on the floor. I wiped it up, and went back to bed. Woke up, made breakfast and just now (12:30) picked up my 3DS only to notice water near the 3D slider and on the inside of the console near the buttons. Immediately disassembled it, even removing the cover plates and batteries, and wiped everything down with 91% rubbing alcohol. The bits and pieces are sitting on top of my desk now, drying...

Any chance of saving this system? It's my favourite form factor.

I will be waiting a month before I turn it back on. Wish me luck!

What a terrible way to start the Lunar New Year.

bananapi761

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
If it was charging and/or in sleep mode before you spilled it then it very well might be dead. If not, and you're sure it's completely dry, there is still a good chance of it working, as long as no corrosion has occurred. A month seems quite long to wait, you could always try the rice bag trick.

AmandaRose

Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it’s a plan
Trophies
Website
www.rockstarnorth.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The rice thing is a myth and does nothing to help at all. It's basically a placebo. The phone naturally dries exactly the same as it would if not in the rice. Just Google rice and electronics. What does work is silica gel. That is why most electronics come with a little packet of silica in the box.

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Define water (which is an excellent insulator, if it wasn't for the other chemicals present in most forms of what people call water)

Disassembling it, giving it a good wash in clean water (to remove any contamination), and letting it dry (which may take quite a bit if it got under a BGA chip) is a smart idea...
...of course, maybe you'll then notice it didn't even get on the boards :)

What a terrible way to start the Lunar New Year
Hey, doesn't the moon have a reputation for attracting water? :P

bitjacker

GBAtemp Disorderly
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the rice bag trick does work, as i rescued an iphone from a lake with it. it had been underwater for over a year, so it was sopped good. the rice started sprouting. It took a couple of batches(1 lb each) of rice and 2 weeks.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Run a fan over the disassembled parts for 24 hours. That should be good enough to get it dry.

If it wasn't turned on it will in all likelihood be fine, because damage only happens quickly when electricity is running through the spilled liquid (rapid corrosion, and possible shorts)
If it was turned on, corrosion starts within seconds, so if it was left like that overnight that could be bad. If you can't see any corrosion (often they look like bluish/yellowish spots) on any of the metal it's probably fine. Anyway minor corrosion isnt a big deal and can be cleaned off. The biggest problem is corroded ribbon cables and connectors, that can prevent them from making good contact. But also easy enough to clean off if it isn't major.

Displacing the water with rubbing alcohol is a good idea (assuming your rubbing alcohol doesn't have oil or other contaminants) since it will evaporate much faster. You could actually just pour a bunch of rubbing alcohol (preferably 99%+ isopropanol) onto all the parts, except the screens and battery of course, which would do a better job at displacing water trapped underneath chips etc. but what you did is probably fine.

@bitjacker It would have probably started working again once it dried in open air as well.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: I forget the movie but they built an entire set that looks like a village