Hardware or emulation? Preferred way to play games?

Discussion in 'General Gaming Discussion' started by Sonic Angel Knight, Jun 12, 2016.

?

Hardware or emulation?

1. Hardware

2. Emulation

3. Both

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Sonic Angel Knight
    OP

Sonic Angel Knight GBAtemp Guru

May 27, 2016
    United States
    New York
    What's your preferred way to play your past games? It's a simple question, not a debate, just say what you prefer and why, nothing bad about anyone else and their preference.

I like my stuff emulated, for one thing frameskip is very useful for speeding up and saving time. Looks good on HD tv, and Even has full screen support that fills entire tv instead of leaving black boarders on it. It also has thosee fancy pixel blenders and shaders that make the image quality appear better. It also supports cheats and save states. I Can also use just about any moderen controller i want. So that is cool. All very useful tools, all at once, easy to use. So what are your ideas and reasons?

For the sake of reasoning, pretend emulators are perfect compared to the system counterpart, think as if you had to choose a Nes system or a Nes emulator, what between the two would you decide one over the other?
    (Only systems that has emulation possible)

Last edited by Sonic Angel Knight, Jun 12, 2016

2. TotalInsanity4

TotalInsanity4 GBAtemp Supreme Overlord

Dec 1, 2014
    United States
    Under a rock
    Emulation. It's easy to record, especially in the case of handheld games, and could be made to look REALLY good. Plus, all my games are on one system that way

3. Lilith Valentine

Lilith Valentine GBATemp's Wolfdog™ I drool on my knife

Sep 13, 2009
    Antarctica
    Between insane and insecure
    Why not both? I use emulation when I need to, but I prefer running on hardware if available.

TheKawaiiDesu and TotalInsanity4 like this.
  4. froggestspirit

froggestspirit D/P/Pt Demix Guy

Jul 28, 2011
    United States
    I like original hardware, UNLESS, emulation is perfect (or near perfect so that I get the same play experience or better). I don't care for savestates or frameskipping, but I do like improved visuals (sharper images on polygons).

TotalInsanity4 likes this.
  5. Sonic Angel Knight
    OP

May 27, 2016
    United States
    New York
    Oh, right i'll add both as a option to the poll. My bad:blush:

6. Supster131

Supster131 (づ。◕‿‿◕。)づ *:・゚✧

Jan 19, 2016
    United States
    My Computer
    Depends on what system and game we're talking about, but for the most part, I prefer hardware.

Last edited by Supster131, Jun 12, 2016
    TheKawaiiDesu likes this.
  7. Shubshub

Shubshub The Shubinator

Oct 16, 2009
    New Zealand
    The dark part of your house
    Either or is Fine
    But I generally have more fun playing a game I've paid for (Especially PC Games) rather than pirating/downloading to emulate

Is it just me? Or does emulating a game feel less fun?

8. TotalInsanity4

Dec 1, 2014
    United States
    Under a rock
    Emulation =/= piracy

Supster131 likes this.
  9. Shubshub

Shubshub The Shubinator

Oct 16, 2009
    New Zealand
    Thats why I put pirating/downloading meaning its not nesseceroly pirated

10. Supster131

Supster131 (づ。◕‿‿◕。)づ *:・゚✧

Jan 19, 2016
    United States
    My Computer
    That's because you lose features and some functionality, lol.
    You can't play online on a pirated PC game, nor do you get achievements. Pirating on PC is easier sure, but generally shittier.

11. Shubshub

Shubshub The Shubinator

Oct 16, 2009
    New Zealand
    Even with older console games I dont have as much fun playing an emulated version

12. Memoir

Memoir A Hero to Zero

GBAtemp Patron
    Memoir is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 24, 2007
    United States
    Wyoming
    Hardware, for sure. It just sucks to go that route because it can be rather pricey.

13. Sonic Angel Knight
    OP

May 27, 2016
    United States
    New York
    This is not about pirating, is about hardware or emulation. To be clear, I mean a game console that can be played on a different system other than the intended device. (Nes on pc or android) Is not to be confused with porting of games like they do now. (New ______ will be available on PC/Xbox one/PS4/WiiU) So, if you didn't understand just ask.:)

Note, emulation doesn't mean piracy cause even actual consoles can be means of piracy (Sega dreamcast can run custom made homebrew cds naturally)

14. WiiU

WiiU Lurking in the Shadows

May 7, 2014
    Between worlds of Hyrule & Lorule
    Both have pros and cons. But for me personally it would be original hardware.
    Particularly for touchscreen I really hate using a mouse. Using a mouse as a Wii remote was a pain as well.
    Emulators also don't run as smoothly as the original. Plus I really like the feel of the original controller and system.
    Although i have to admit playing on SNES emulator was better because games could be loaded much faster, save states and it ran very smoothly.

15. TotalInsanity4

Dec 1, 2014
    United States
    Under a rock
    But that's what I'm saying, you're lumping emulation with piracy. I have mostly legit games that I ripped myself on my hard drive and I enjoy the heck out of emulation because I can play the games I already own with even better features, like texture up-scaling 'n shiz

16. Shubshub

Shubshub The Shubinator

Oct 16, 2009
    New Zealand
    This is the last I'm talking bout this
    I put pirating/downloading meaning either or as in I didnt specifically mean Piracy or pirating the content, I meant it could be pirated or you own it legit

17. emigre

emigre Has complex motives

Jan 28, 2009
    London
    Personally I emulate with my Raspberry Pi. In a lot of cases its more practical than using original hardware particularly regarding hardware failure.

18. RemixDeluxe

RemixDeluxe GBAtemp Psycho!

Nov 23, 2010
    United States
    I strive to play my games as accurately as possible (native) so I guess hardware would be my vote. However everdrives are a thing so that would be the best for those that want accurate gameplay and not pay a lot for each and every game for that system.

The only exception I have is Dolphin emulator because it goes so above and beyond the original system that it would be silly to not consider it. (4x native resolution, online, etc)

19. Captain_N

Captain_N GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Mar 29, 2010
    United States
    i prefer gaming on the actual hardware. Its the main reason i got a super wild card dx 2 for my snes back in 2001. play roms/hacks/translated on the actual console is whats up. I still use it along with its parallel port zip 100MB Drive. I have a snes Flash cart but the wild card has more features like dumping carts/saves.

I do play on emulators as well but not as much. I do enjoy Emulators on the wii and 3ds. Now there needs to be a hdtv that emulates crt look and feel then i would game solely on HDtvs

20. TotalInsanity4

Dec 1, 2014
    United States
    Under a rock
    FCEUX+"NTSC 2x" filter
    SNES9X+"TV Mode 3x" filter