Hardware NAND Extraction

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by ILFS, Jan 27, 2016.

1. ILFS
    OP

ILFS Member

Newcomer
    Jan 24, 2016
    United States
    My 3DS is bricked via the NASA CIA installer made by Rinnegatamante (not to give it a bad rep, it was my fault.)

I've decided to take the step of using a Raspberry Pi to try to unbrick it (I mean, what do I have to lose?) To do this I need a NAND dump, but since I don't have one, I'm told I can use the hardware mod to extract it. Is this true? And is there even a tutorial on how to do this?

2. ground

ground GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Mar 22, 2007
    Netherlands
    even if you use the hardwaremod now, you backup the corrupted nand. So for now you are out of luck:(. do you have an emunand or an xorpad of your nand?

3. Thesolcity

Thesolcity Wherever the light shines, it casts a shadow.

Oct 2, 2010
    United States
    San Miguel
    Even if there were, you'd be extracting a bricked NAND. You can't flash what's broken and expect it to work.

4. ILFS
    OP

ILFS Member

Newcomer
    Jan 24, 2016
    United States
    no..... darn. thanks anyways

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Just to ask, can I still do this without a NAND dump? To me it sounds like it just serves as a way to restore the old memory, but I could play on a reseted one right?

(I really don't want to spend $200 on a new one)

Last edited by ILFS, Jan 27, 2016
  5. RetroBitMig

RetroBitMig CEO of PixelRocket (returning soon) and Maagic Dev

Oct 19, 2015
    United States
    Los Angeles
    You didn't exactly specify what brick you've got (could be semi-brick, or full brick to build a house with), so I'm going to suggest you to boot into Recovery Mode. To do that, just power off your system and then power it back on while holding A+L+R+Up and you should be greeted with a screen that will prompt you to update. If you don't get that, then all the people above me are correct and it's a bit too late to try a hardmod now.

6. ILFS
    OP

ILFS Member

Newcomer
    Jan 24, 2016
    United States
    It's the Black Screen of Death, and I got it through being the noob I am and trying to update with a corrupted system.

7. Toiry921

Toiry921 Maki Best Girl

Dec 10, 2015
    United States
    ラブライブ
    With a bricked system and no nand backup all you can do is enjoy your paperweight or use it to build a house

Shadowfied and RetroBitMig like this.
  8. aos10

aos10 how i fotochop?

Apr 10, 2012
    Saudi Arabia
    Well, you can send it to Nintendo and they can fix it
    It's better then a console that can't even turned on.

9. laramie

laramie GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Dec 15, 2014
    United States
    Or....... you can dump firm 1 since firm0 is corrupt firm1 is the mirror so it's a clean slate. aka dump and restore that with a rbp and volia fixed with no nand backup. Source: 3dbrew

10. ILFS
    OP

ILFS Member

Newcomer
    Jan 24, 2016
    United States
    @RetroBitMig I get the update screen. Should I update? It's what bricked it before, so I'm leery, but if it's ok, I will. Otherwise, I'll dump from firm1. Doesn't sound like I can get my NAND back anyways.

11. ZAMI

ZAMI Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Apr 9, 2015
    France
    is there cfw for 3ds 10.5

12. ILFS
    OP

ILFS Member

Newcomer
    Jan 24, 2016
    United States
    There's emuNAND, if that's what you mean. (Sorry, never really delved into CFW's)

13. ZAMI

ZAMI Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Apr 9, 2015
    France
    no cfw to run emunand

14. RetroBitMig

Oct 19, 2015
    United States
    Los Angeles
    If you got the update screen, updating may be the best choice. However, should the update be successful, you'll be at 10.5.

No, there is no CFW for 10.5.

15. RetroBitMig

Oct 19, 2015
    United States
    Los Angeles
    How exactly would he dump firm1, though?

16. laramie

Dec 15, 2014
    United States
    No need to dump. The lazy way is to use a rbp to flash over firm0 with firm1. Meaning you take the good nand backup and write it over the bad one ;)

17. andre104623

andre104623 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Apr 9, 2014
    United States
    Philadelphia, PA
    care to expain how he is supposed to do that without a nand backup? Last time i checked if you bricked without a nand backup your fucked. I think your confused if this were true then people who bricked downgrading n3ds whould be able to recover.

Last edited by andre104623, Jan 27, 2016
  18. laramie

Dec 15, 2014
    United States
    You'd be wrong there.. ;) check "YouTube" nand backup isn't needed with a rbp.

19. andre104623

andre104623 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Apr 9, 2014
    United States
    Philadelphia, PA
    No your wrong rbp can unlock your nand if its locked. But he corrupted his nand there is no way to recover at this point in time without a nand backup before he bricked. Edit: Just checked 3dbrew there is no info to backup your claim of being able to recover from a full brick without a vaild nand backup. So OP your only option is to A. Send it in to nintendo to have it fixed but will be returned with the latest firmware or B. Spend 200 to get a new console and this time MAKE A NAND BACKUP. Sorry for your loss I had a o3ds xl and used a r4i gold deluxe and bricked never was able to recover so had to buy a new one

Last edited by andre104623, Jan 27, 2016
  20. ILFS
    OP

ILFS Member

Newcomer
    Jan 24, 2016
    United States
    Good news! A friend offered me an old NAND extraction! So I'll be fine if I need to use the Raspberry Pi method.

In the meantime, I still haven't had time to update my 3DS, is that still a good idea? And would that affect my 3DS, or should it be fine?