DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Interesting. I'm going to need help then. Leave it to a noob, right? :ohnoes:

Well, if I would know how to do it, I would've already done it.
Besides, wouldn't you wanted to do it as a sideproject for your study?

SkylarTheNerd

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Don't think it's possible unless you got a ton of DIP switches that can switch between signals.

Your best bet is to solder everything to their respective components on a breadboard and use a multi array of slots to insert the carts.
The bulk of the power can be drawn from a single transformer and you could theoretically hook up all the video signals to one output (make sure you put switches between the wires)
Well, if I would know how to do it, I would've already done it.
Besides, wouldn't you wanted to do it as a sideproject for your study?

Goodness no. I'm in school for advertising. I just wanted to know if anyone had any ideas as to how to go about doing this. However, I called my brother, and he said that my best bet to dump my game cartridges and run an emulator through another device.

So I have two questions.
1) could I put an emulator on my DSiXL? It's in good working condition, but it's sorta just sitting on my shelf, collecting dust...
2) if not, would I need to run emulators through a RasPi? And if so, how would I be able to play it?

DeoNaught

I'm here to steal memes and break dreams
Trophies
Website
Gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
So I have two questions.
1) could I put an emulator on my DSiXL? It's in good working condition, but it's sorta just sitting on my shelf, collecting dust...

2) if not, would I need to run emulators through a RasPi? And if so, how would I be able to play it?

1) do you have a flash card? Look up to see if there is an emulator for it

2) You might be thinking of retropie, and if so, google it

SkylarTheNerd

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
1) do you have a flash card? Look up to see if there is an emulator for it

2) You might be thinking of retropie, and if so, google it

I don't have a flash card, where can I get one for a good price? I have seen some emulators.

Also, is it possible in any way to add titles from Freeshop to a flash card?

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I don't have a flash card, where can I get one for a good price? I have seen some emulators.

Freeshop is for hacked 3DSses only.
The DSi will get an exploit soon, but the homebrew for it is minimal.
You can run DS homebrew on a hacked DSi tho.

But as previously said, your best bet is a DS flashcard.
A simple Acekard 2i would do the job perfectly.
It can run NES (some SNES) GB, GBC, Gamegear, Genesis, PC engine and some more.
Don't expect the best compatibility tho.

Boogieboo6

@realDonaldTrump
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

You can download the .3ds files for use with a flashcart on your computer. Freeshop downloads games and installs them directly to the sd card, making them not usable with a flashcart. Freeshop is for the 3ds, not the DSi.

You can find many tutorials online about installing retropie to a raspberry pi. It will allow you to play a wide array of games ranging from NES to N64.

You can try using a flashcart from nds-card.com (GBATemp's sponsor) to play DS games on your DSi, as well as emulate titles from other, older consoles. I don't know much about those emulators, but they exist.

SkylarTheNerd

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can download the .3ds files for use with a flashcart on your computer. Freeshop downloads games and installs them directly to the sd card, making them not usable with a flashcart. Freeshop is for the 3ds, not the DSi.

You can find many tutorials online about installing retropie to a raspberry pi. It will allow you to play a wide array of games ranging from NES to N64.

You can try using a flashcart from nds-card.com (GBATemp's sponsor) to play DS games on your DSi, as well as emulate titles from other, older consoles. I don't know much about those emulators, but they exist.

Yes, I'm aware of Freeshop being only for 3ds. Sorry, I didn't make that clear. I have a 3DS as well. I'm just trying to make use of my DSi, because I'm going to mod my 3DS with Freakyhax, and buy a New 3DS for regular play.

But yeah, I appreciate all the help I've been getting. Thank you all. :lol:

GerbilSoft

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Back in the day, there *were* official adapters for this sort of thing:
They worked similarly to Super Game Boy. The expansion module basically contained all of the hardware from the original system, and merely used your base system for video, audio, and input passthrough. This was needed because the system hardware was completely different. 2600 uses a 6507 CPU; ColecoVision uses a Z80, and IntelliVision uses a CP1610 (16-bit!). 5200 uses a 6502, which is compatible with 6507; however, the 5200's video hardware was derived from the Atari 8-bit home computer line and isn't compatible with 2600.

Last edited by GerbilSoft, , Reason: +IntelliVision
Reactions: SkylarTheNerd

SkylarTheNerd

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Back in the day, there *were* official adapters for this sort of thing:
They worked similarly to Super Game Boy. The expansion module basically contained all of the hardware from the original system, and merely used your base system for video, audio, and input passthrough. This was needed because the system hardware was completely different. 2600 uses a 6507 CPU; ColecoVision uses a Z80, and IntelliVision uses a CP1610 (16-bit!). 5200 uses a 6502, which is compatible with 6507; however, the 5200's video hardware was derived from the Atari 8-bit home computer line and isn't compatible with 2600.

Huh... Thanks for the info. I wonder if it's possible to make other adapters that can be used for a variety of other systems? Of course it can't be all in one; that would be far too clunky, and would require dip switches...

SkylarTheNerd

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay, so the consoles that had Nintendo games are:
Amstrad CPC
Apple II
Atari 2600, 5200, 7800, and 8-bit
Colecovision
C64