Hacking Hard drive problems on a RGH Phat console.

tonybod

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello all,

Reading the forums, it seems I should be able to use any hard drive with my newly RGH'ed Phat console.

But whatever I try, the box just will not boot if I use a different drive. I've tried copying all the content from the console via FTP to the new drive (which was formatted while pluged in via a USB caddy in the console).

Is there anything obvious to try to get this to work? Or do I need a compatible drive and flash it?

Thanks in advance,

Tony.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Did you make the relevant partitions and format them (don't worry too much about the xbox backwards compatibility stuff just yet)?

While you don't need a compatible HDSS.bin file for the drives any more it will not always be able to handle sorting partitions and formatting. The one you used might even have been for simple usage rather than as a boot drive.

D

Deleted User

Hello all,

Reading the forums, it seems I should be able to use any hard drive with my newly RGH'ed Phat console.

But whatever I try, the box just will not boot if I use a different drive. I've tried copying all the content from the console via FTP to the new drive (which was formatted while pluged in via a USB caddy in the console).

Is there anything obvious to try to get this to work? Or do I need a compatible drive and flash it?

Thanks in advance,

Tony.

Internal drive you let the xbox format it in settings - External drive fat 32 format

tonybod

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Internal drive you let the xbox format it in settings - External drive fat 32 format
This is exactly what I did. I put the drive in a USB caddy, formatted via the settings section on the console. Removed the drive from the caddy and inserted into one of the Phat caddy things that connect to the top of the console.

When booting, it just sits on the initial XBOX 360 screen (no dash loads).

D

Deleted User

This is exactly what I did. I put the drive in a USB caddy, formatted via the settings section on the console. Removed the drive from the caddy and inserted into one of the Phat caddy things that connect to the top of the console.

When booting, it just sits on the initial XBOX 360 screen (no dash loads).

Thats incorrect bud - Drives that are going to stay inside xbox get formatted in settings

USB / External drives get formatted on PC or mac with fat32 Format

tonybod

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I did format the drive using the xbox.

I'm booting using my old drive, the new one is connected via USB and formatted using the XBOX.

D

Deleted User

I did format the drive using the xbox.

I'm booting using my old drive, the new one is connected via USB and formatted using the XBOX.

Again wrong - USB is not to be formatted with xbox.

Very simple

1) - If using internal format with xbox - will ask you for serial# - This drive will stay inside the xbox

2) - If using external USB format fat 32 with pc or mac and not xbox

Guiformat is good to format drives fat32

Last edited by ,

tonybod

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry for the misunderstanding. So I put the drive (unformatted) into one of the phat caddys and try and format when the dash loads?

tonybod

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ok, I removed the single partition on the drive, and then plugged it into the console in the phat caddy. The xbox just sits there on the startup screen, so I can't get to the settings as no dash loads.

I did install dashlaunch on the old drive, could that be the problem?

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
You removed the partitions right?
You could install the dash n what not on a USB drive and then try again.
Otherwise take the HDD out and swap it for another one.

tonybod

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I got a little further this time. Installed Aurora on the USB stick, and that now loads. But when trying to get to the settings so I can format the drive, I just get a blank screen :(.

tonybod

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ok, some progress. I've updated the dash to 17349 and now can format the drive.

Just need to figure out how to transfer the content from the old one now :).

tonybod

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not having any luck doing this. I've got the new drive formatted now, but when putting into a USB caddy, it doens't show up in the file manager.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I have discovered a hilarious corner of youtube. meme ASMR
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That sick boy yo
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I was hoping I could add a custom ROM to this fire HD 10 tablet but guess no one's made twrp available
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Root it? Lol
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    That shit is so locked down, tighter than a nun's ass
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Don't know if that's even possible for the firmware
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    You can remove the bloat ware and ads easily but can't install a rom
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    20 some years later crash bandicoot still pisses me off
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Have you jail broke your ps4 yet?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I've been on since 9.0
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Are you gonna do your ps5 if the hack comes? Is there worries of bans, like the ps3
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Probably not I got cross play friends
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    By then I'll have some little mini pc anyway
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    only ps5 updated to latest firmware can go on psn, jailbroken ones just don't use psn or they risk getting flagged or banned, altho spouting profanity in online play alredy does that
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Keep current Gen consoles stock mod last gen imo
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    Anyone dumb enough to get banned for spouting profanity deserves it.
  • Y @ YuseiFD:
    Then how come you do it and don't get banned ? or is it a question of getting caught doing it ?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    wtf is the point of banning swearing in games? that's utterly a dumb decision

the new generation playing MWII won't be as hardened as the previous one playing original MW2
  • Veho @ Veho:
    What's the point of video games? Kids playing video games won't be as hardened as the previous ones getting shoved down a hillside.
    Veho @ Veho: What's the point of video games? Kids playing video games won't be as hardened as the previous...