Hard Drive Error

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by Porygon-X, Apr 4, 2011.

1. Porygon-X
    OP

Porygon-X GBAtemp Fan

Aug 18, 2009
    Switzerland
    Canada. Shieeet
    My dad's secondary hard drive can't be accessed. It shows up on "My Computer" but when he goes to open it, "This disk has not been formatted yet. Would you like to format now?" error. Why is it giving me this error? Formatting is NOT an option as there is important "stuff" inside the drive.

Also is there any way that I can extract the information from the drive?

2. fischju

fischju Rehabilitated Jaywalker

Jan 11, 2008
    United States
    http://www.ubcd4win.com/downloads.htm - Download it, burn it, boot it. You can do SMART tests on the HDD with Speedfan to confirm a failure. File explorers if the partitions aren't corrupt, and recovery programs that can scan the HDD for files and transfer them somewhere else. You will need a drive with plenty of space if you intend to recover the data.

3. Porygon-X
    OP

Porygon-X GBAtemp Fan

Aug 18, 2009
    Switzerland
    Canada. Shieeet
    Okay thanks. I'll try that.

Will it work on a flash drive? It's 16gb

4. tagzard

tagzard Tagzard the Crazy Dinosaur with Wings.

Banned
    Apr 28, 2010
    United States
    Chicago Illinois
    follow ifishju advice

5. fischju

fischju Rehabilitated Jaywalker

Jan 11, 2008
    United States
    It's a little more complicated, but you can run it from a flash drive. I have a nice setup on an 8GB, you'll need the iso and UBUSB, link and instructions are here: http://ubcd4win.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=11375&st=0 - You won't need the kicker unless your bios doesn't support USB booting.

6. Bunie

Bunie #1 Princess

Aug 19, 2010
    United States
    Pleasureville, KY