Hacking Hard drive causing static rain on tv...

Mangofett

GBAtemp Testing Area
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Um, you mean you have a magnetic drive next to your (crt) tv and youre wondering why you're getting interference?

I would move it away before both your TV and hard drive get fried.

ridgecity

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
no, when I turn on the Wii, the hd starts working and you can see the tv noise, as if it there was interference, doesn't go away, only when the wii and usb are on.

ridgecity

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
It looks more like an electric thing, and its a plasma. Do the Wii usb ports have enough juice to power a 2.5 hd?

twig123

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I get this issue as well... it appears some drive enclosures don't have filters on the line and cause 'static' or 'snow' effect on the TV. 1st... try a USB cable that has a line filter on it, or if the drive has an external power adapter try plugging it into an outlet that does NOT share the same power source as the TV.

(I get the same effect if I plug a florescent light into the same power strip as my TV as well)

FirenXe

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hong Kong
I got this problem too before, but i fixed it by buying a more expensive enclosure.

biggrin.gif

hamstarr

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
How about using an unearthed plug for the hdd? (the earth connection on european power plugs can easily be "taped" over to isolate, if you dont have an unearthed power socket)

I believe the earth is leaking from the tv to the wii to the hdd, or the other way around, causing interference.

rustybanana

Trophies
XP
Country
Sadly of no use to me as I am using a usb powered hdd. Its going to be more likely a case of electromagnetic interference
wink.gif

jarock

Trophies
XP
Country
The interferance is passing though your scart/RCA video input. I bet if you unplug your RCA video cable your tv is fine.
Make sure your RCA/ Scart cables are not passing over the AC input for your drive or any electrical cabling. Try not to loop electrical cables , plug your Wii onto the same power outlets.
I have a PEGA dock station with Multi video outputs for the Wii. I bought a high quality sheilded RCA cable and it solved my problem. It could also be your HD Enclose also, if its a cheap HD enclose this can will happen also. But if you bought a good WD Passport or something the drive should be ok.

Krusty104

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@FirenXe:

Which "more expensive" enclosure did you buy?

I have this one: http://ritmotech.com.au/satotech/product_i...0198cfbb3f341b1

It was inexpensive, but I definitely get snow every time whenever I turn it on when plugged into the Wii. I've tried plugging it into other power points, used different power cables etc but it won't go away.

It's a shame, because other than that it works really well.
sad.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Sodiumchickentirade