Hardware Hall Effect sensor joycon sticks on Amazon

Deleted member 194275

Edson Arantes do Nascimento
Trophies
XP
Testing a Hall Effect Sensor

There are a few ways to check a Hall Effect sensor that comes to mind. The first and most often gotten wrong test is to hold the sensor in your hand while it is hooked up to an ohm meter, then brush a metal object such as a wrench over the sensor. You should see some movement in the meter. Now this is not an absolute-for-sure test that indicates the sensor is in good condition. Although it does show whether or not the sensor can register a signal this is not a good/bad test result. You’ll need to test it further to be sure.

Sauce: http://www.gonzostoolbox.com/knowledgefolder/halleffectsensors.html

I have a wrench and a multi-meter. Unless anyone has a better suggestion I’m going to try this ^^^^
so you will put the test wires on the ribbon connectors and use a metallic object to induce a signal?

I wonder if you get a strong magnet, like the ones we find on car speakers, and put near the sensor it will register a input or a noise (or even will break the thing).

Reactions: binkinator

SkyDark719

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain

There are a few ways to check a Hall Effect sensor that comes to mind. The first and most often gotten wrong test is to hold the sensor in your hand while it is hooked up to an ohm meter, then brush a metal object such as a wrench over the sensor. You should see some movement in the meter. Now this is not an absolute-for-sure test that indicates the sensor is in good condition. Although it does show whether or not the sensor can register a signal this is not a good/bad test result. You’ll need to test it further to be sure.

I have a wrench and a multi-meter. Unless anyone has a better suggestion I’m going to try this ^^^^
I ordered it yesterday and it will arrive the next week. Can you post pics of stick without the cap and comment how good is the accuracy and deadzone (from calibration settings) when you receive it?

• Love

binkinator

Garfield’s Fitness Coach
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I ordered it yesterday and it will arrive the next week. Can you post pics of stick without the cap and comment how good is the accuracy and deadzone (from calibration settings) when you receive it?

Absolutely on the pics.

Anything I should do wrt dead zone and accuracy? Should I jot down a before and after from a tool?

e: fwiw, In the current calibration settings my recently replaced joycons are dead on w/ zero drift. Barely touch them and they + in the middle starts to move.
That all feels a bit subjective though. If there’s a tool that I can take some objective measurements PLMK.

Last edited by binkinator,

kylum

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Sounds easy enough. Though as others have suggested a magnet will have a much larger field effect on the sensor making it easier to test.

You could probably skip testing with multimeter. Once installed and back together you could wave a magnet over the stick while in the calibration screen. In theory you should see it move!
Post automatically merged:

Yup, here is a video of someone testing it with a magnet and also potential issue you may encounter trying to calibrate if it’s not already addressed with these particular ones. The ones in the video are different and pulled from an Ancernic so…

Last edited by kylum,

SkyDark719

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Absolutely on the pics.

Anything I should do wrt dead zone and accuracy? Should I jot down a before and after from a tool?

e: fwiw, In the current calibration settings my recently replaced joycons are dead on w/ zero drift. Barely touch them and they + in the middle starts to move.
That all feels a bit subjective though. If there’s a tool that I can take some objective measurements PLMK.
Well, with accuracy and deadzone I simply refer to test it on calibration settings (after you calibrate it), and see how well it works compared to normal stick. For example the distance approximately since it recognices a input, or if can be problematic like the Anbernic one that resets the calibration after turn the Switch into sleep.

binkinator

Garfield’s Fitness Coach
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, with accuracy and deadzone I simply refer to test it on calibration settings (after you calibrate it), and see how well it works compared to normal stick. For example the distance approximately since it recognices a input, or if can be problematic like the Anbernic one that resets the calibration after turn the Switch into sleep.
Gotcha! I just watched the video below. With your explanation and the vid I believe I know what to look out for now.
Sounds easy enough. Though as others have suggested a magnet will have a much larger field effect on the sensor making it easier to test.

You could probably skip testing with multimeter. Once installed and back together you could wave a magnet over the stick while in the calibration screen. In theory you should see it move!

Yup, here is a video of someone testing it with a magnet and also potential issue you may encounter trying to calibrate if it’s not already addressed with these particular ones. The ones in the video are different and pulled from an Ancernic so…

This was helpful!

1673823408832.png

Here we go…strip of unboxing pics (sorry not gonna do a video, I’m not that pretty) and they we’ll get to work opening her up.

79995976-DE99-4D31-B5F5-C83F9A3C4546.jpeg

I’ll kick it off off with the real reason I bought the double pack!

4E42CD07-3452-475E-817F-E02E3A900BE8.jpeg

enough joking around…enjoy!

3AE84716-3AAA-4CD2-92E3-92DB17E3724F.jpegDDADD6BA-6EBE-4EC4-8E79-9357A5D53784.jpeg997114AB-3580-4950-80D4-AAE31DF59E24.jpeg96BC72D3-1538-470D-AFE5-7B1372D927E3.jpegB37AEBBA-9165-4DB9-96CE-1A074EF4619C.jpeg90642987-B1BE-4C94-A899-F52182D6E2C1.jpeg1A213C71-F512-413E-A223-C0EF96E827EB.jpegC49605CF-2DB9-4423-B7B1-F7013A7EDAE2.jpegBB4CDDB3-27DD-480D-96FB-2D78EC40D08F.jpegE61C3A58-804C-467E-97AA-3A1F63B9171D.jpeg921EB800-B60D-416F-B66C-85D0EE5FDB46.jpeg

Give me a bit, I’ve got an LED kit in my joycons and they are fiddly to say the least. Plus I have to find a spring I forgot to install last time. Nobody time me! It’s gonna be a little slow.

Last edited by binkinator,

TheStonedModder

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Gotcha! I just watched the video below. With your explanation and the vid I believe I know what to look out for now.

This was helpful!

View attachment 347594

Here we go…strip of unboxing pics (sorry not gonna do a video, I’m not that pretty) and they we’ll get to work opening her up.

View attachment 347616

View attachment 347611

View attachment 347595View attachment 347596View attachment 347597View attachment 347600View attachment 347601View attachment 347603View attachment 347604View attachment 347607View attachment 347610View attachment 347614View attachment 347615

Give me a bit, I’ve got an LED kit in my joycons and they are fiddly to say the least. Plus I have to find a spring I forgot to install last time. Nobody time me! It’s gonna be a little slow.
Joycon upgrade any% route

Reactions: hippy dave

jkyoho

Trophies
Website
form.jotform.com
XP
Country
Canada
LOOK LEGIT FROM THE PACKAGING

This was helpful!

View attachment 347594

View attachment 347616

View attachment 347611

View attachment 347595View attachment 347596View attachment 347597View attachment 347600View attachment 347601View attachment 347603View attachment 347604View attachment 347607View attachment 347610View attachment 347614View attachment 347615

binkinator

Garfield’s Fitness Coach
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
LOOK LEGIT FROM THE PACKAGING
Yeah…that’s what I was thinking. If it’s not GuliKit they are awful bold going out there with full branding on the box and and took the time to have the logo imprinted on the plastic and everything.

I can “move“ the joystick and control a character onscreen with a magnet (not physically touching the stick…nothing but magnetism.)

In calibration I didn’t see anything like the issues in the video. It might have been (anti?)placebo effect that I thought that maybe it was a single pixel or two off center. I was going to convince myself I needed to one way or the other so I ran the calibration anyway and I squinted really hard and could not trick myself into thinking it was off by even a pixel.

I rebooted and came back to the calibration screen and everything was still intact. Bumping it off center took only a millitouch (can that be a word?)

I’m over here going back and forth trying to see if I can tell a difference between my old one (that was brand new) and the new one I just put in.

Fortunately they came with the cool thumbstick covers so I can easily tell which one I already did!

image.jpg

(Hint: it’s the one with the star on the left!)

binkinator

Garfield’s Fitness Coach
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
Hall effect is supposed to have no deadzone. When LTT tested the Steam Deck hall effect sticks, that was their experience as well. Where are you getting conflicting reports from?
I had two sets, and both showed the same symptoms. I'm not talking inner deadzone, I'm talking outer. It goes full throttle well before you actually hit the edge. It's akin to most crappy third party controllers. I'd wager it's something most casual gamers aren't going to notice, even less if they don't play FPS titles. Still, for the asking price, I'd expect far better performance.

Reactions: The Real Jdbye

kylum

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

victorstk

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil

I got 2 pairs of them, and I'll test them in the channel soon!

Edit:
those who are wondering if AKNES store can be trusted, it definetly is legit they have a store on aliexpress also, and I've done a parnership with them before

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway

Somebody posted in a different thread here previously that they had trouble calibrating the Anbernic ones, might be the same person who made that video. Good to know that these don't have the same issue though. Guess it's just as well that the Anbernic ones sold out immediately, if they don't work properly anyways, I might've ordered them if they weren't sold out. They weren't really designed to work with the JoyCons even though they use the same form factor, I guess they work better with the device they were made for, and they have a different shape and size than original sticks, I prefer the more stock look.

Reactions: NeoHoth and kylum

victorstk

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Somebody posted in a different thread here previously that they had trouble calibrating the Anbernic ones, might be the same person who made that video. Good to know that these don't have the same issue though. Guess it's just as well that the Anbernic ones sold out immediately, if they don't work properly anyways, I might've ordered them if they weren't sold out. They weren't really designed to work with the JoyCons even though they use the same form factor, I guess they work better with the device they were made for, and they have a different shape and size than original sticks, I prefer the more stock look.
the thing is, I put the joycon sticks on the RG 505 and they worked normally, I'm really not sure what made it incompatible with joycons

I'm the one who made that video by the way

slaphappygamer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I’ve got high hopes for this kit. Gulikit also has a pro-style controller with hall sensors. It got great reviews. Mostly for not drifting anymore.

GuliKit Hall Effect Sensing Joystick,No Deadzone,No Drift,FPS Model Controller, KingKong 2 Pro Wireless Bluetooth Gamepad for Switch/Switch OLED/PC/Android/MacOS/IOS,APG Button/Dual Vibration-White https://a.co/d/14NGmJb

I’ve got 2 pair in my cart now. One for my switch and one for my kids. Going to wait for a few returns to clear first.

Reactions: urherenow

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Yes there has been for a long time