'Half Life Alyx' no VR mod gets new progress update

capsule_616x353.jpg

Those looking to play Half Life Alyx but don't have access to a VR headset might be able to do so in the near future thanks to a WIP mod from 'SoMNst'. The modder shared an new progress update in a YouTube video today which include new animations and a couple of fixes. The crafting station, although not shown in the video, is apparently working but requires some adjustments.

You can find the full changelog of this new update below:

-New Viewmodel
-New Animations
-Camera viewpunch when firing
-Camera viewpunch fixed when zombies hits you
-Player speed has been fixed when player is ducked
-Player speed is being decreased on ads (also viewpunch is less violent)
-Zombies are not walking anymore, instead they are running (i increased the running speed aswell as the attack speed)
-Headcrabs are more aggressive
-Dot crosshair is only visible when the hand is equipped

It should be noted that while SoMNst is regularly sharing video updates of their progress, the mod itself is not currently publicly available. In any case, would you like to try Half Life Alyx without a VR headset?

:arrow: SOURCE

fluggy2013

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Current """VR""" is just a glorified screen in your eyes. I bet it actually harms your vision.
While fun and a legitimate way to play, marketing it as VR irks me. A lot.
They should make up another name for it.

Actual VR would involve much more than sight/sound: you would need to walk around the virtual world, have actual sensations - gravity, wind etc. Our current technology is far, far from it.

What a ridiculous statement. "VR" as developed in the 60s and popularized in the 90s is a head mounted display that conveys the sense of being in a different reality through vision . . . NOTHING to do with gravity simulators (WTF you on about?) or wind machines?? (WTF you on about?) VR has already been defined for years. The fact that someone doesn't understand this is mind-boggling!!
Thats like saying a 3D movie isnt really a 3D movie unless you watch it in 4DX (with the seats that move, water spray and have scents).

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Actual VR would involve much more than sight/sound: you would need to walk around the virtual world, have actual sensations - gravity, wind etc. Our current technology is far, far from it.

What a ridiculous statement. "VR" as developed in the 60s and popularized in the 90s is a head mounted display that conveys the sense of being in a different reality through vision . . . NOTHING to do with gravity simulators (WTF you on about?) or wind machines?? (WTF you on about?) VR has already been defined for years. The fact that someone doesn't understand this is mind-boggling!!
Thats like saying a 3D movie isnt really a 3D movie unless you watch it in 4DX (with the seats that move, water spray and have scents).

Guido-01

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Cool. Now I can play it. I think it would be nice to have had both options ready at launch. I understand that not having VR takes away the purpose of this game as it may become a "meh" shooter without it, but this is the closest to Half-Life 3 we may get, so I want in on the action without having to get VR. Haha

BeastMode6

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Inb4 idiots giving this game negative reviews because they played it in a way completely unintended by the developers. As someone who has played it and enjoyed it in VR, it would be like a 4/10 without the VR mechanics.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
I don't get the negativity here. Ey... News flash : avatar is better in the movie theater than on a regular television. It doesn't mean I ain't watching it.

Likewise : Vr just isn't for me yet. I'll play it on a good old fashion (and apparently outdated) pc monitor.

As for negative reviews... So? People give negative reviews for the most stupid reasons. Just ignore' em.

wurstpistole

GBAtemp MVP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Wow, the amount of people not getting what Alyx is all about is way too high. There's too many people to quote, so I'll just cover the first few:

Holy shit, i can finally play this game

No, you can't. This is not the way it's meant to be played, and will crush basically any fun you could have with that game.

Anything that moves people away from what people currently call """VR""" gets my support.

Alyx is the pinnacle of VR as of now.

Honestly, Valve should've made it accessable without VR from the beginning. Espessially if it's Half Life.

No, they shouldn't have. This is a VR game that absolutely not works without the hardware.

Looks cool. A great mod for people who aren't fans of VR.

No, it is not. If you are to play it without VR, you are better of just not playing it at all. It ruins the whole experience.

Shame this basically negates everything that makes Half Life Alyx good in the first place. As a VR title it's good, but without the quirks and features of VR it'll basically just be a meh shooter.

100% agree.

Don't think it would be much fun non-vr. Its the most basic, plodding, FPS i've ever played. I actually enjoyed playing it a lot on Oculus Link - played through it 3 times and its the immersion that VR brings that made it enjoyable.

This guy gets it.

I honestly can't see why people would want to play this in non-vr. The puzzles are intentionally made with only VR in mind. Converting it to 2D only is pretty cool for maybe only the graphics. There is nothing innovative or new by putting it into 2D.

This guy does as well.

raxadian

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
There should be official mods, like they did for the Five Nights at Freedy VR game with the 2D update.

Not many people are willing to do the equivalent of buying a videogame console in money just to play a VR game. Worse, VR headsets, unless they are for video game consoles, age awfully fast.

Reactions: Mama Looigi

Mama Looigi

If you read this, I'm now your mother
Trophies
XP
Country
Ireland
There should be official mods, like they did for the Five Nights at Freedy VR game with the 2D update.

Not many people are willing to do the equivalent of buying a videogame console in money just to play a VR game. Worse, VR headsets, unless they are for video game consoles, age awfully fast.
Wasn’t the FNAF VR non VR a mod?
Haven’t checked it in awhile

People are willing to buy a $500+ PC for PC games. People are willing to buy a $500 PS5 for PS games. So people shouldn’t be willing to spend $300 on a VR headset for VR games?

Also they don’t age fast
Some have bad parts- but what doesn’t? They have warranties.
In my experience, people just suck at taking care of their stuff. I could say my Rift CV1 I’ve had for years is still in like new condition (aside from drifting), meanwhile people that have had it for a half year will make you question if they like putting it in the washing machine

Although the parts do fail from time to time- ex. lens died... that’s the only example I can come up with
But then again
Warranties
They come free

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Wow, the amount of people not getting what Alyx is all about is way too high. There's too many people to quote, so I'll just cover the first few:

No, you can't. This is not the way it's meant to be played, and will crush basically any fun you could have with that game.

Alyx is the pinnacle of VR as of now.

No, they shouldn't have. This is a VR game that absolutely not works without the hardware.

No, it is not. If you are to play it without VR, you are better of just not playing it at all. It ruins the whole experience.

100% agree.

This guy gets it.

This guy does as well.
Everyone's entitled to their own opinions dude. You do you...

Mama Looigi

If you read this, I'm now your mother
Trophies
XP
Country
Ireland
Everyone's entitled to their own opinions dude. You do you...
To be fair
It was designed to be a VR game

Playing the best VR-exclusive game not in VR is like playing a PS5 JRPG on a PS3 demake

But yes
Being able to play the game with a meh version is better than not experiencing it at all

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
It's the best story-based game I've played in VR. Very immersive.
When people ask me which games are worth getting vr for, I mention this one and Beat Saber. There really are no other must haves imo.
I would put Arizona sunshine on the list of must plays, its graphics are a bit janky in places with scaling between items being all over the place but in terms of a really enjoyable VR game its one of my favourites, but yeah beat sabre and Alyx are easily number 1 and 2

as for this mod I genuinely don't think this game would translate well at all into non VR without a fair bit of modding to redesign level flow and enemy encounters, maybe with more than just plonking the game into desktop mode and some tweaking and reworking you could at least enjoy the storyline of it, but I would genuinely say playing in VR was amazing and a fantastic fresh experience in gaming, something that I haven't felt close to since going from SMW to Mario 64 (although that was a bigger leap)

Louse

go play rez
Trophies
Website
www.h.com
XP
Country
United States
as for this mod I genuinely don't think this game would translate well at all into non VR without a fair bit of modding to redesign level flow and enemy encounters, maybe with more than just plonking the game into desktop mode and some tweaking and reworking you could at least enjoy the storyline of it, but I would genuinely say playing in VR was amazing and a fantastic fresh experience in gaming, something that I haven't felt close to since going from SMW to Mario 64 (although that was a bigger leap)
I honestly think that this mod would have to be a full demake, just keeping story areas and the general flow, to be fun. People should be able to experience the story in Alyx, but if the game isnt changed to be fun without VR, it could just leave a bad mark on the game or even the concept of VR for people who play it and have a lackluster time.

Personally, I think it would be interesting to see Alyx played with other motion control methods, maybe even with lightguns in a time crisis sorta gameplay loop

Last edited by Louse, , Reason: i am the one whomst is no word good

wiiando

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Current """VR""" is just a glorified screen in your eyes. I bet it actually harms your vision.
While fun and a legitimate way to play, marketing it as VR irks me. A lot.
They should make up another name for it.

It bugs me even more when thery make VR-exclusive games like this, for no reason, considering how one person can make it work in non-VR setups.

Nothing against the current implementation by itself, just the naming+exclusivity BS.

They pushed this to VR to sell the Valve index, given that this isn't a full blown Half Life game either, compared to previous games at least.

It's also taken what a whole year for this "MOD"

You'll be long gone like the rest of us here before you experience anything what you mentioned.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Att did offer a $500gc tempting to use it for 6 months and cancel