'Half-Life 2 RTX', a community remaster project, announced

half life 2.jpg

A visually-enhanced version of Half-Life 2 is in the works as a community project. Titled Half-Life 2 RTX, the project is being developed by four of Half-Life 2’s top mod teams, now known as Orbifold Studios. They are leveraging the latest version of NVIDIA's RTX Remix to bring visual enhancements to the game including full ray tracing, NVIDIA DLSS 3, NVIDIA Reflex, and RTX IO. An announcement trailer was aired today that showcases these improvements:

The project is said to be in early development stages and you can learn more about it in the source link below.

:arrow: SOURCE

eyeliner

Has an itch needing to be scratched.
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
I hope this will be better than the Quake 2 RTX release... It was "fine" but some of these RTX aspects ruined the Quake 2 vibe..
True that. The game is almost blinding, now. Way too bright everywhere.

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i'd be down to play hl2 with those updated models that'll be in the rtx port, but i'll pass on the raytracing itself. i know for a fact this game won't run without dlss, and i have an amd card. plus i think ray tracing is way overhyped anyways, it's really not that special to me.

mrcroket

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
RTX ON.... and all the models, textures, materials... updates. I mean, raytracing is an improvement obviously, but the big thing in the improvement in quality is everything else.

brunocar

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina

A visually-enhanced version of Half-Life 2 is in the works as a community project. Titled Half-Life 2 RTX, the project is being developed by four of Half-Life 2’s top mod teams, now known as Orbifold Studios. They are leveraging the latest version of NVIDIA's RTX Remix to bring visual enhancements to the game including full ray tracing, NVIDIA DLSS 3, NVIDIA Reflex, and RTX IO. An announcement trailer was aired today that showcases these improvements:

The project is said to be in early development stages and you can learn more about it in the source link below.

:arrow:SOURCE

its great to know nvidia isnt making this themselves, quake 2 RTX looks like dogshit, what they did to the railgun should be considered a crime against good taste.

xtrem3x

Trophies
XP
Country
Yeah but Portal RTX crashes a lot and has much simpler scenes.

Played through the whole of Portal RTX about a month ago and didn't have a single crash
Could be something wrong with your setup, you tried a clean install of your graphics drivers?

gudenau

Largely ignored
Trophies
Website
www.gudenau.net
XP
Country
United States
Played through the whole of Portal RTX about a month ago and didn't have a single crash
Could be something wrong with your setup, you tried a clean install of your graphics drivers?
It ought to be fairly clean in the first place, not really sure how to make it cleaner. Not like I can run DDU.

N10A

Her stare burns...
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hopefully they take care to preserve the intentional lighting of scenes, oftentimes raytracing ruins the lighting design of older games.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Maxouter @ Maxouter: yo