Official hakchi2 - NES Mini very simple pimp tool

cathor

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi,

Running into an issue with my Super Famicom mini. Everything has been working fine until I wanted to sync a nes mini .hsqs using the latest hakchi2 (2.30). Have previously synced 10 additional Super Famicom games and RetroArch without problems using prevoius versions.
I was following Clusters guide available here: https://github.com/ClusterM/hakchi2/wiki/Multiboot-guide

I started out by flashing custom kernel with the latest 2.30, then I synchronized and now the console wont boot. Actually can't even power off without pulling the USB. It turns on but doesn't give any signal.

So I went back and flashed original kernel and that fixed it, it does boot. Flashed custom again and same thing happened, wont boot. So flashed original AGAIN and its working. Weird thing is that all my custom games are still on the console after flashing original. And playable. Cant sync new games to it though cause hakchi tells me I need to flash custom first...

So yeah, that's my situation. If anyone is sitting on any pro tips that will help me solve this I would be forever grateful!
Seems like my "original" kernel is somehow mixed up with a custom kernel, and trying to flash a custom kernel over a custom kernel mess everything up. Just guessing though.

TIA

lagur

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi,

Running into an issue with my Super Famicom mini. Everything has been working fine until I wanted to sync a nes mini .hsqs using the latest hakchi2 (2.30). Have previously synced 10 additional Super Famicom games and RetroArch without problems using prevoius versions.
I was following Clusters guide available here: https://github.com/ClusterM/hakchi2/wiki/Multiboot-guide

I started out by flashing custom kernel with the latest 2.30, then I synchronized and now the console wont boot. Actually can't even power off without pulling the USB. It turns on but doesn't give any signal.

So I went back and flashed original kernel and that fixed it, it does boot. Flashed custom again and same thing happened, wont boot. So flashed original AGAIN and its working. Weird thing is that all my custom games are still on the console after flashing original. And playable. Cant sync new games to it though cause hakchi tells me I need to flash custom first...

So yeah, that's my situation. If anyone is sitting on any pro tips that will help me solve this I would be forever grateful!
Seems like my "original" kernel is somehow mixed up with a custom kernel, and trying to flash a custom kernel over a custom kernel mess everything up. Just guessing though.

TIA

I think it shouldn't be a problem if you can copy a super famicom original kernel dump from some folks here. Use it as your original kernel.

cathor

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I think it shouldn't be a problem if you can copy a super famicom original kernel dump from some folks here. Use it as your original kernel.

Thanks mate! yes, that was my plan going forward. And I have sources for original kernel dumps. Just wanted to check with u guys if you think that's the best route to take. Afraid if I do it, I will successfully go back to stock without my current custom games and unable to flash custom again to put back the games I have on there now.

Cheers,

Edit: is @Cluster still active in this thread?

Last edited by cathor,

asper

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes doesn't quite have anything to do with it. The problem is that there is a new busybox in Hakchi2.3 that is not in any other Hakchi2, 1, nor CE Version. So, it would only work with Hakchi2.3. This will confuse a lot of people, who are accustomed to using Hakchi1, 2 previous versions, as well as who have tried CE, and of course, those used to the RetroArchs in my set:) Basically, if the busybox is updated to be in Hakchi2 CE, as an example, then my RetroArchs were updated to work with the new busybox, then No earlier version of Hakchi2 would function with the RetroArchs without also changing those, theoretically speaking, of course. A whole bunch of conflicts come out of all of this:) And, confusion for many! The only thing to really do is just help people know the distinctions between what works and what doesn't until the time of such coding changes:)
Well waiting for the new busybox to be implemented :)

Thank you again man !

mattmanforever

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I got the new Hakchi2 Multiboot going, and it's great... but one question:

Does anyone know how to make switch the B and A buttons to Y and B on a four button SNES controller for the NES Classic mode?

cathor

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country

Btw, how do I flash with a different original kernel? Do I just replace the .img file in the hakchi /dump folder with a different original kernel and do "flash original kernel"? Does it matter what revision of the kernel it originally came with? I have seen 2 different revisions floating around, .12/.14.

Also, the filesize of my kernel dump (~3.3mb) differs from the ones I've found (~2.7mb). Does this indicate that my original kernel dump is indeed modified and that could be the source of my problem?

Cheers,

evilvoice

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Btw, how do I flash with a different original kernel? Do I just replace the .img file in the hakchi /dump folder with a different original kernel and do "flash original kernel"? Does it matter what revision of the kernel it originally came with? I have seen 2 different revisions floating around, .12/.14.

Also, the filesize of my kernel dump (~3.3mb) differs from the ones I've found (~2.7mb). Does this indicate that my original kernel dump is indeed modified and that could be the source of my problem?

Cheers,

It doesn't really matter what version you use. Some things changed with updates, but I don't think anything major that would cause issues or enhancements (a later version isn't going to allow you to flash more games or anything). If you're flashing your stock kernel and you still see any custom games, there is something wrong with your kernel and you probably mixed them up somewhere (or patched your console 2x thereby overwriting your original kernel). Flash an original kernel dump and start over. It's pretty difficult to permanently brick these devices unless you just unplug it while it's writing the kernel, so you may lose your games initially, but after patching again, you should be good to go without issues.

cathor

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
It doesn't really matter what version you use. Some things changed with updates, but I don't think anything major that would cause issues or enhancements (a later version isn't going to allow you to flash more games or anything). If you're flashing your stock kernel and you still see any custom games, there is something wrong with your kernel and you probably mixed them up somewhere (or patched your console 2x thereby overwriting your original kernel). Flash an original kernel dump and start over. It's pretty difficult to permanently brick these devices unless you just unplug it while it's writing the kernel, so you may lose your games initially, but after patching again, you should be good to go without issues.

Cool, thank you!

And about replacing my dump with an original dump. Just replace and rename?

Cheers,

evilvoice

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Cool, thank you!

And about replacing my dump with an original dump. Just replace and rename?

Cheers,

Pretty much. I would rename what you have just in case. I always make multiple copies and then delete when I'm sure I have what I want. The reason to rename your "original that isn't original" is in case you have a bad download or flash the wrong version after downloading (like a super Nintendo version instead of super famicom), then you can just flash back one that you know works somewhat and try again. Once you find one that does return you to complete stock, save it, make a backup copy, zip it up and keep it safe. While you can almost always find an original kernel, you definitely don't want to spend time trying to find one if you have to look in different places.

Edit: side question, but can we run scummvm games yet?

PPlays

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Pretty much. I would rename what you have just in case. I always make multiple copies and then delete when I'm sure I have what I want. The reason to rename your "original that isn't original" is in case you have a bad download or flash the wrong version after downloading (like a super Nintendo version instead of super famicom), then you can just flash back one that you know works somewhat and try again. Once you find one that does return you to complete stock, save it, make a backup copy, zip it up and keep it safe. While you can almost always find an original kernel, you definitely don't want to spend time trying to find one if you have to look in different places.

Edit: side question, but can we run scummvm games yet?
Dos games will run on dosbox core.

evilvoice

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Dos games will run on dosbox core.

True, but some run extremely slow. Take Colonization for example. Takes at least 10 minutes to get to the point of playing. I don't have much hope for other games using DosBox unless it is mostly text based or uses very rudimentary graphics. I saw Scummvm running Lands of Lore which is one of my favorite DOS games, but I'm almost positive it won't run in DosBox for the SNESC. Legend of Kyrandia was another game my buddy and I played quite a lot.

PPlays

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
True, but some run extremely slow. Take Colonization for example. Takes at least 10 minutes to get to the point of playing. I don't have much hope for other games using DosBox unless it is mostly text based or uses very rudimentary graphics. I saw Scummvm running Lands of Lore which is one of my favorite DOS games, but I'm almost positive it won't run in DosBox for the SNESC. Legend of Kyrandia was another game my buddy and I played quite a lot.
Ahhh gotcha. Yeah a few of the games I tester were hit and miss. That's the only available dos emulator available at the moment.

evilvoice

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ahhh gotcha. Yeah a few of the games I tester were hit and miss. That's the only available dos emulator available at the moment.

Yea, I only tested Colonization because I liked the game and wanted to test on DosBox. I tested it on Windows first and it ran fine (obviously taking into account how slow games ran back then), but ran so horribly on SNESC that the couple of times I tested it, I usually turned off the console before it ever came up (I did leave it running once just to make sure it wasn't a game issue). Since Lands of Lore uses voices (like Patrick Stewart), I think it would run even worse. I can't say how it's held up because it's been forever since I played it, but I remember spending hours upon hours playing it (even longer than Final Fantasy which is one of my favorite games - try a team of just White Mages, it's tons of fun [and yes, I've beaten it with that team]).

I really wanted to see how much of my childhood I'd be able to get out of this system, but it looks like if it's not console based, it's going to be limited. It doesn't mean I don't like the SNESC or the NESC, just that once I get those set up fully, I'll probably have to utilize my Pi 3 as well, and then it comes to the point if I'm going to do that, what's the point of the others? It's rhetorical. I have both of the consoles because I wanted both, even though it seems real pointless to have the NESC now that you can do everything with the SNESC. That said, if they come out with the Gameboy Classic or N64 Classic, I'll buy those as well. Really hoping for the Gameboy Classic and it to be like the SNESC except with built-in screen and portable. Man, that'd be perfect.

PPlays

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yea, I only tested Colonization because I liked the game and wanted to test on DosBox. I tested it on Windows first and it ran fine (obviously taking into account how slow games ran back then), but ran so horribly on SNESC that the couple of times I tested it, I usually turned off the console before it ever came up (I did leave it running once just to make sure it wasn't a game issue). Since Lands of Lore uses voices (like Patrick Stewart), I think it would run even worse. I can't say how it's held up because it's been forever since I played it, but I remember spending hours upon hours playing it (even longer than Final Fantasy which is one of my favorite games - try a team of just White Mages, it's tons of fun [and yes, I've beaten it with that team]).

I really wanted to see how much of my childhood I'd be able to get out of this system, but it looks like if it's not console based, it's going to be limited. It doesn't mean I don't like the SNESC or the NESC, just that once I get those set up fully, I'll probably have to utilize my Pi 3 as well, and then it comes to the point if I'm going to do that, what's the point of the others? It's rhetorical. I have both of the consoles because I wanted both, even though it seems real pointless to have the NESC now that you can do everything with the SNESC. That said, if they come out with the Gameboy Classic or N64 Classic, I'll buy those as well. Really hoping for the Gameboy Classic and it to be like the SNESC except with built-in screen and portable. Man, that'd be perfect.

Yeah I know what you mean. I like having both consoles for the aesthetic and just the over nostalgia feeling. All this other stuff you can do with it is nice too, but then once you get into it it loses some of the charm because on the inside It's just another emulator machine. Like for instance we're talking about dos games, it's cool that you can run them, and even run them with the snes controller, but if you're on USB you can connect a mouse and keyboard with the right hub and play them they way they were intended. But for me, if I'm using a mouse and keyboard why don't I play them on my PC........which has a mouse and a keyboard, and better compatibility. I missed out on just about every dos game because I didn't have a computer growing up, just the NES and SNES, so I do have an interest in those games, but now 20 years later there's sooooooooooo many games that I want to play, I don't see myself sitting down on my snes classic to play a dos game, when I can use that space for other systems. As for a gameboy classic, It's an interesting idea, and I'm sure I'll get one if they ever release it. But I've been spoiled by my modded DS lol. And I would like a N64 classic only to see if they increase the horsepower in it enough to run some of the other emulators better.

evilvoice

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah I know what you mean. I like having both consoles for the aesthetic and just the over nostalgia feeling. All this other stuff you can do with it is nice too, but then once you get into it it loses some of the charm because on the inside It's just another emulator machine. Like for instance we're talking about dos games, it's cool that you can run them, and even run them with the snes controller, but if you're on USB you can connect a mouse and keyboard with the right hub and play them they way they were intended. But for me, if I'm using a mouse and keyboard why don't I play them on my PC........which has a mouse and a keyboard, and better compatibility. I missed out on just about every dos game because I didn't have a computer growing up, just the NES and SNES, so I do have an interest in those games, but now 20 years later there's sooooooooooo many games that I want to play, I don't see myself sitting down on my snes classic to play a dos game, when I can use that space for other systems. As for a gameboy classic, It's an interesting idea, and I'm sure I'll get one if they ever release it. But I've been spoiled by my modded DS lol. And I would like a N64 classic only to see if they increase the horsepower in it enough to run some of the other emulators better.

I think my main interest in the N64C is just to see if they can improve the emulation. Yea, there have been enhancements, but it still is far from perfect. Still waiting to see it run GoldenEye better.

KMFDManic

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
UPDATE 3-1-18

Note: Until further notice, only install No-Thumbnails HMOD if Non-USB-HOST. It has conflicts with USB-HOST, and can lead to random in-game C8 crashes.

I only Updated files in Mega NZ link, for now. MAME 2010 was broken. I reverted it, and it now works again:) Thanks to Bully79 & DRVR 99 for bringing this to my attention! There is a new PSP SAVES folder in _km_Xtras. The video I posted will show how to apply saves, via USB-HOST:) I may do a Nand Variant of it, as well. I also did a MAME 2000 Showcase Video, since it truly is an underappreciated Gem of a Core that has amazing compatibility with a lot of games that do not run well on any of the other Cores! I will post a Standard Core Set Update tomorrow (which will include coding additions to help with support with 'The Other Guys' Options HMOD:), etc, and get more Videos posted, as well! Enjoy PSP Save Exploiting, and play some games on MAME 2000, in the meantime:) As always, thanks for the entire support of the Community! It means a lot:)

SNES Classic - PSP Save Exploiting - USB-HOST

MAME 2000 Showcase

https://github.com/KMFDManic/NESC-SNESC-Modifications/releases/

Reactions: LuckY07

LuckY07

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@KMFDManic - What version of Hakchi should we be using (most up-to-date) with SNES USB-Host and your current cores?

Any ETA on getting the cores running with the new version of Hakchi 2.3?

Thanks for all the work you do!

tyjay

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Having an absolute mare with flashing my snes classic
Everything been running flawless using USB until last night

Updated to 1.1.0CE or tried to, uninstalled fine, flashed stock firmware fine, flash custom firmware jst won't happen at all
Constant errors nearly always during the building custom part of the flash every time

Tried different USB cables different laptops I'm at a complete loss why it won't flash using 1.1.0, tried running it from my USB HD, desktop and a different hd, on one occasion I get write protect error?? Wtf on my 500g hd

But tried the new 2.30 cluster and it flashes fine no error, so I guess it's something to do with the CE version on this occasion
But my USB drive didn't detect on snes with 2.30 haha although thinking about it all games added were done with the CE version
Would that make any difference? Would I have to re add all games with 2.30 frontend cant see why that would make any difference

Can add the error log thing from hakchi if any wants a look

Thanks

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    True, everything almost double nowadays
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    But I could go to Aldis and get a cookie pie for like $4
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Or use your new cooking pan and make some, don't mind the Old leftover foods mixed in.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Just eat plain flour around cops
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    thats Gluten abuse, they would shoot you
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Depends on the color chart
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Wheat flour has a lower chance at survival
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Isn't wheat flour the whitest of the white?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Rye would get shot at sight.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Depends
    img_5941-1.jpeg
    everyone mixing their flour now days
  • Veho @ Veho:
    That's whole wheat, right? Because all purpose flour is also made from wheat.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'm not a flour expert I just snort it
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    There also is black rice flour, and its really black colored
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Bruh that's gray.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That's ancientboi color
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    You need to add some activated charcoal.
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I've seen some that are dark dark, my wifey uses it sometimes in her bs recipes
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Cool.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @BigOnYa, Seems like your wifey likes hers black. :creep:
  • Veho @ Veho:
    "BS" stands for "Bowel Scraping" because that's what whole grain does.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I've been eating honey wheat bread scrumptious
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    https://a.co/d/9xDkOHc lol living on the edge
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://a.co/d/9xDkOHc lol living on the edge