Official hakchi2 - NES Mini very simple pimp tool

KMFDManic

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
-UPDATE 9-5-17 (Risk, Othello, Stratego, Mini NES, all have one thing in common. They take a minute to learn, and a lifetime to master! I will be doing several changes throughout each week, to better the Core/HMOD/Bios Set-ups. And, I will post an updated Set to this thread, likely, once per week. I also achieved a 5000 Game Build, using my revised Cores/HMODS/Bios, and various compression techniques, along with the general strategy required in an RTS or Chess, to pull off a perfect combination of Games+HMODs, without having memory issues, as far as C2, C5, C7, C8! Expect a video by next week showcasing a 5000 Game Build with Multiple Systems!

-UPDATE 9-2-17 (Tremendous Update to the Core Set, as well as Bios Set. There are now a multitude of configurations you can use! Some of the changes I made, are MGBA has 2 different versions (Command lined one to run GBA Games by default. The second one, can also handle Game Boy & Game Boy Color Games. So, if you want MGBA ONLY for gba, then install the command line version that is specifically set-up to point only to GBA Games. This way, you have option to use TGB Dual or Gambatte, if you want, for GB/GBC! The Dual-Tri Wield SNES 2002/2005/2010 HMODS are updated into the set. Bios now work like this...You have a Bios Master Module that contains ONLY Required Bios Files, and a Bios Master Module that contains Required & Optional Files. I did 3 subsets of the Master Bios Module. One for NEO-GEO OLD (MAME2003/FBA), One for NEO-GEO NEW (MAME2010/FBA2012), One for NON NEO-GEO. I additionally did ALL bios separately, with Optional=opt or Required=req distinctions. This way, if you want to run a ridiculously huge game, like I did in THIS video linked to below!, you can do them on a case by case scenario! There are two versions of RetroArch. One is (standard), One (extreme) contains the 500+ Filters! Due to the nature of separating Bios, I renamed Master Bios Modules to Bios Master Modules, to do my best to keep them contained in the same proximity to the other Bios HMODS! So, in cases where you want to run a crapload of games and HMODS, you can use Bios Master Module (Required or Optional Version). And, in cases where you want to run 1 or a few large games, you can install just the pertinent Bios you need, separately, if space becomes a pressing issue. You now have a ton of options Guys & Gals! Lastly, I updated multiple cores, (PCSX ReARMed, FBA, FBA 2012, and so on!, as well as updated FCEUMM & Nestopia, again, within both RetroArch versions. Due to the number of changes (well over 100), as per usual...I would recommend getting rid of the Old Cores you got from me, and replacing them with these ones! Despite some Cores or HMODS appearing to be the same, or identical date. The reason I do not change the date on certain instances is due to me tracking the date of the Source Code I use for compiling purposes! So, still replace them all:) Anyways, here is the link to the Running a Ridiculously Huge Game Video, as well as the link to the Newly Revised Core Set for 9-2-17!!! Enjoy!

https://www.reddit.com/r/nesclassicmods/comments/6j2zoo/the_mega_hmod_thread/

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Read my latest post to see where it stands. But, as of right now, I achieved a 5000 Game Build on the Mini NES, with multiple Systems being able to run without C2, C5, C7, or C8:)

spinal_cord

Knows his stuff
Trophies
Website
spinalcode.co.uk
XP
Country
You can adjust cpu cycle settings in the Core, itself. But, you need to be careful about what you change it to. You can break the Core, which will require the steps outlined in my video description.

I think ther are more than just cpu cycles involved in setting the cpu type...

Seiza616

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I have run into an issue when I try to flash the custom kernel using the most recent version of hakchi 2. Each time I attempt to flash I get an error message that says access to ducktales.nes is denied and then the flash is canceled. I have reinstalled the hakchi software and I have also tried to use an older version; however, every time I try to flash the custom kernel the same issue arises. I am able to dump my kernel as well as flash the original kernel. It's frustrating as I am unable to proceed with syncing games and I have been forced to restore my mini nes back to its default settings with only 30 games. I would really appreciate some help with this issue. Just for reference, I am using the protocol for a MAC to mod my mini NES.

On a related note, if I am unable to fix the issue is it possible to just use a kernel download from the web and replace my original kernel with it? Would this allow me to have access to more games. If so, does anyone have a kernel I can download with the complete NES rom set?

KMFDManic

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I have run into an issue when I try to flash the custom kernel using the most recent version of hakchi 2. Each time I attempt to flash I get an error message that says access to ducktales.nes is denied and then the flash is canceled. I have reinstalled the hakchi software and I have also tried to use an older version; however, every time I try to flash the custom kernel the same issue arises. I am able to dump my kernel as well as flash the original kernel. It's frustrating as I am unable to proceed with syncing games and I have been forced to restore my mini nes back to its default settings with only 30 games. I would really appreciate some help with this issue. Just for reference, I am using the protocol for a MAC to mod my mini NES.

On a related note, if I am unable to fix the issue is it possible to just use a kernel download from the web and replace my original kernel with it? Would this allow me to have access to more games. If so, does anyone have a kernel I can download with the complete NES rom set?

Easy Fix:)

Seiza616

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

So do I need to do every step on that video? Like the archived stuff at the beginning or can I just go to the temporary files and delete like you mentioned near the end of the video? Also, when you say archived folder in your video do you mean my hakchi folder correct? Sorry if some of these questions are pretty basic, I am somewhat of a novice here.

Also, these steps should also work if I am running a Microsoft virtual machine on a MAC correct?

Last edited by Seiza616,

KMFDManic

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So do I need to do every step on that video? Like the archived stuff at the beginning or can I just go to the temporary files and delete like you mentioned near the end of the video? Also, when you say archived folder in your video do you mean my hakchi folder correct? Sorry if some of these questions are pretty basic, I am somewhat of a novice here.

Also, these steps should also work if I am running a Microsoft virtual machine on a MAC correct?

You are using an operating system within that virtual machine. You will need to delete your TEMP folder from hakchi2 directory. Then, go to search and type in %temp% and go into that directory, and delete all files. Ignore any that can't be deleted. That should clear the access denied error. Other things in the video help with other issues. But, do these 2 things, then Flash Custom Kernel, then you should be good to flash games again.

Seiza616

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You are using an operating system within that virtual machine. You will need to delete your TEMP folder from hakchi2 directory. Then, go to search and type in %temp% and go into that directory, and delete all files. Ignore any that can't be deleted. That should clear the access denied error. Other things in the video help with other issues. But, do these 2 things, then Flash Custom Kernel, then you should be good to flash games again.

When I click on the hakchi 2 folder I don't see a "temp" folder listed in that directory. Should I should go to the temp folder via %temp% and delete all files that way instead since the temp folder isn't showing up under hakchi?

KMFDManic

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
When I click on the hakchi 2 folder I don't see a "temp" folder listed in that directory. Should I should go to the temp folder via %temp% and delete all files that way instead since the temp folder isn't showing up under hakchi?

Yes, and also make sure you clear your recycle bin.

Seiza616

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes, and also make sure you clear your recycle bin.

I went ahead and followed the steps provided and it worked! Thanks again for the assistance as I was able to successfully load my NES and SNES games. However, I noticed that the SNES are somewhat more pixelated in comparison to the NES games, is this a common occurrence as a by product of the emulation software? Also, I didn't load a sega genesis emulator, are these games less pixelated than the SNES or are they the same?

rhester72

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Has anyone explicitly upgraded to the new custom kernel included in Hakchi 2.17d and tried to use the "power" button on wireless controllers? In all prior kernels, the button would act like Reset and return to the NES mini menu, but now it acts like Start instead.

Anyone else seen this?

Hey I just got a Japanese Famicom. Is it possible to load it so it's in English, but still ahve Famicom style menus?

http://www.rendezvo.us/nes/fc_eng_menu_hack.hmod

Futurdreamz

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Has anyone explicitly upgraded to the new custom kernel included in Hakchi 2.17d and tried to use the "power" button on wireless controllers? In all prior kernels, the button would act like Reset and return to the NES mini menu, but now it acts like Start instead.

Anyone else seen this?

http://www.rendezvo.us/nes/fc_eng_menu_hack.hmod
Thanks, I ended up figuring it out eventually, had to literally google every single step because the few scraps of tutorials I found assume you already knew all the other steps. I didn't realize it wouldn't change the games though that makes sense, I just loaded an English set. I just have to figure out how to manipulate the folders as having 32 games split into two folders of 16 each was stupid looking.

KMFDManic

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I went ahead and followed the steps provided and it worked! Thanks again for the assistance as I was able to successfully load my NES and SNES games. However, I noticed that the SNES are somewhat more pixelated in comparison to the NES games, is this a common occurrence as a by product of the emulation software? Also, I didn't load a sega genesis emulator, are these games less pixelated than the SNES or are they the same?

Retroarch settings, settings, video, enable bilinear filtering.

rhester72

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks, I ended up figuring it out eventually, had to literally google every single step because the few scraps of tutorials I found assume you already knew all the other steps. I didn't realize it wouldn't change the games though that makes sense, I just loaded an English set. I just have to figure out how to manipulate the folders as having 32 games split into two folders of 16 each was stupid looking.

If you were trying to convert it to a full-on NESCE, you can do that too by installing the firmware.

See here:

https://www.reddit.com/r/nesclassicmods/comments/6lq67d/famicom_mini_english_conversion/

for instructions and here:

https://www.reddit.com/r/nesclassic...finally_the_firmware_dump_circle_is_complete/

for the firmware.

Rodney

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    NinStar @ NinStar: :whip: