Official hakchi2 - NES Mini very simple pimp tool

Magnus87

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
That's exactly happening to me since the 2.16 or 2.17 version but only with non NES games. You too? I'll get back to 2.14
I did not use hakchii2 with this NES Mini, Its new, fresh and virgin.

Today is the last day to change it by another unit. is it a common issue? Can I fix it?
Where did you happen to score another one?

Argentina, Stores still have some stock

NESjimbo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Street Fighter Alpha 2 arcade, anyone have this game working?
I haven't tried 2, but I have 3 working perfectly. I have SSF2T, SFA3, SFIII 3rd Strike and Marvel vs Capcom up and running.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Well, your problem is actually easier to explain than you might have thought. The reason you are having issues is due to "overloading the cache memory". Typically, every time you do anything, go into a folder, play a game, back out, save, etc, whilst the Mini NES is on...you add to the cache memory that is being used. Think Excitebike, overheating. I made a joke about this, months ago...where, we should have an Excitebike Gauge to monitor how much cache is being used. This bug is a result of Folder Management. There is no true way to fix it. It was looked into, as much as possible. A few tweaks were done to Hakchi2, to help try to clear memory. But C8 errors of this nature are random, and absolutely unavoidable. They are also pretty harmless. Now, then...This is where the save state issues come into play. You basically "stress tested" them to the extreme and forced yourself into crashes. First and foremost, Retroarch, and all of its HMODS, and their dependencies, are entirely experimental in the Mini Linux Distribution Environment. Nothing relative to them is guaranteed to be 100 percent foolproof. Save States are "good" for NES, "decent" for SNES, "ok" for Genesis, "bad" for N64, "no cigar" for Arcade. You get the idea. Anyways, the "proper" course of action is to turn the Mini on, from a fresh state. You then minimize how much surfing you do, and try to get to the game you want to play without overdoing surfing. When you load the game, say SNES...You, play it at least long enough to be "inside" the game. Once you are invested enough in the "true" gameplay, then you can usually, and safely, exit to the main Gui, and have option to save the game. Once you save, if the save is important to you...Use Save State Manager in Hakchi2 2.17, and back-up that save. You do NOT want to keep "testing", by making save after save after save. Because, you are basically overloading cache memory, and will cause a crash, data loss in the way of saves, or C8 errors. You did basically the same thing I would do, if I was stress testing perimeters. I did these tests months ago. Now that I understand how you were trying to pinpoint your issue, you simply did not realize that you were literally pushing your system too hard. Anyways, once you play a few games, make a few saves, blah blah blah...You should shut the system down, let the cache clear. Then, turn it back on. But, always, always, make sure to back-up saves that are important. Lastly, in the case of Sega Genesis...You may not have much familiarity with how rom dumping works. But, MANY Genesis Dumps are "bad" dumps, to begin with. So, in this experimental environment, your chances of a random, bad save, or crash...increases slightly. So, as long as you do not overdo it, and realize everything you do can lead to cache overload, you should be able to minimize your issue. Also, you can get a random C8 upon a fresh boot, on the very first game you load! I typically get random C8 errors, about 4 percent of the time, in my hundreds of tests! So, at least 4 out of every 100 tests I run, lead to the unavoidable, random C8 errors. Save States, I am very careful with, as with my above mentioned methodology. I save, back-up, turn system off:) Never run into any problems. So, hope this helps! Just reduce how much you do while the system is on! And, you should be better off in the end...
That definitely makes sense. At the end of the day, we're forcing the NESC to do things it wasn't meant to do with its limited resources.

While I did duplicate the issues via stress testing, it often doesn't take that much effort at all. I would turn on the system, play a game within the same menu for over an hour, and then exit, and then it would crash. It's totally at random.

I have NES games fully stable by using kachikachi (that IS what's for, after all), I can live with that. Battery saves still work as they should, and for everything else, it's back to writing down passwords. I could just use my RPi, but I much prefer the interface of the NESC, not to mention the SNES controllers I use don't fully work on the RPi (L and R don't respond)

One thing is for sure, I'm not messing around with the Super NESC should there be a Hakchi utility for it. I'll just be adding as many games as can fit in the main menu, no RetroArch, no folders, just a few extra games.

Last edited by NESjimbo,

KMFDManic

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I haven't tried 2, but I have 3 working perfectly. I have SSF2T, SFA3, SFIII 3rd Strike and Marvel vs Capcom up and running.

That definitely makes sense. At the end of the day, we're forcing the NESC to do things it wasn't meant to do with its limited resources.

While I did duplicate the issues via stress testing, it often doesn't take that much effort at all. I would turn on the system, play a game within the same menu for over an hour, and then exit, and then it would crash. It's totally at random.

I have NES games fully stable by using kachikachi (that IS what's for, after all), I can live with that. Battery saves still work as they should, and for everything else, it's back to writing down passwords. I could just use my RPi, but I much prefer the interface of the NESC, not to mention the SNES controllers I use don't fully work on the RPi (L and R don't respond)

One thing is for sure, I'm not messing around with the Super NESC should there be a Hakchi utility for it. I'll just be adding as many games as can fit in the main menu, no RetroArch, no folders, just a few extra games.

If you stick to under 100 games and do not use folder management, which can be a little tedious...issues are less recurrent. But, yes, we are basically pushing the little thing to its limits. I have never truly considered it 100 percent stable. But, it is a nifty, nostalgic device. And, ironically, there are some games for NES, where passwords can be wrong! You literally write them down, perfectly, then they do not work! The password system is broken on a select few. And, I always always hated writing down passwords for Metal Gear. If I remember correctly, both 0 and O are used, which is absolutely stupid! Half the time, it is a little tricky to distinguish between the two. Yes, you can write them down and put a slash through the 0! But, if you have 9 0s and 7 Os, you have basically just set yourself up for many possibilities of defeat! Then, games like Blaster Master! No password! First time I beat that, I probably had it on the system for a good 4.5 hours straight! Ninja Gaiden! No passwords! Today's gamers have it so easy! Games back then were brutal!

PlaystationTV

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
When I was testing, just uninstalling and reinstalling retroarch hmod reset the scanlines. Did you try not using crt filter from main Mini, using one of the other two options?
I tried uninstalling retroarch and the genesis core
Reinstalling
And the shader number 1 is still there

KMFDManic

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Reinstalling

/var/lib/hakchi/rootfs/etc/libretro/retroarch-core-options.cfg May contain entries for the shader, that will need deleted. Remember, in my video, I posted to always back up any files you mess with...so, that you can replace them. Yes, you can be fixed. But, definitely make sure you are aware of what files you are affecting. Have you tried uninstalling the Genesis Plus GX Core? If you uninstall it, then reinstall it, and you still have the shader enabled...then, the entries are most likely in your retroarch-core-options file. Let me know! I will do my best to help you resolve the issue. I did not have an issue when I did it, however. I will look back and help further, if needed.

TooMuchPower

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

Yup I have all those games working as well, only game that refuses to start is Street Fighter Alpha 2, I'm starting to think the rom for this particular game does not work on our NESC. No matter where I get the rom from it just would not load the game :(

KMFDManic

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Reinstalling

UPDATE: I have the back-up files I made for both scanline and retroarch.cfg. I sent you a message, and can email you them. You can just push them to the mini. But, without the back-up files, you would have had to do the following steps:( This is why I always tell everyone to back everything up:) At least I have the files, so I can help ya!

For the most part, I import and export the config file, via clovershell hmod + client, and adjust the file accordingly. But, months ago, when someone was first messing with shaders, and soft bricked their system. I helped them get back in action, by doing the following.

--Uninstall all HMODS

--Delete TEMP folder

--Uninstall Hakchi2

--Flash Custom+Original Kernel

--Flash Games

--Install HMODS

So, worst case scenario, if you have difficulty with the config file, and cannot edit it via FTP or clovershell, these steps should help you revert. I have reverted many, many, many times, for memory tests, etc:) Just remember, if you do not flash custom kernel, the drivers will not properly reinstall and detect the Mini:) And, also, be sure to have a back-up copy of the file, in case you want to toy with things again. What makes this situation tricky, is that certain settings are only accessible via keyboard prompts! We obviously do not have that capability! Anyways, keep me updated!

And, do not worry, much worse things have been done, Mini wise. One person installed a set-up with preconfigured HMODS, games, etc, that they deleted...So, there was approximately 140 Mb of stuck space on their Mini that they could NOT remove, until I helped them with clovershell and ftp. Even uninstalling hakchi2, kept the 140 Mb stuck in memory! They could only flash about 160 Mb of games, which truly sucked! But, being you made it as far as you have, I have absolute faith that this will be easy for you to resolve!

Last edited by KMFDManic,

NESjimbo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you stick to under 100 games and do not use folder management, which can be a little tedious...issues are less recurrent. But, yes, we are basically pushing the little thing to its limits. I have never truly considered it 100 percent stable. But, it is a nifty, nostalgic device. And, ironically, there are some games for NES, where passwords can be wrong! You literally write them down, perfectly, then they do not work! The password system is broken on a select few. And, I always always hated writing down passwords for Metal Gear. If I remember correctly, both 0 and O are used, which is absolutely stupid! Half the time, it is a little tricky to distinguish between the two. Yes, you can write them down and put a slash through the 0! But, if you have 9 0s and 7 Os, you have basically just set yourself up for many possibilities of defeat! Then, games like Blaster Master! No password! First time I beat that, I probably had it on the system for a good 4.5 hours straight! Ninja Gaiden! No passwords! Today's gamers have it so easy! Games back then were brutal!
Under 100, haha. I trimmed and trimmed and trimmed, and I have it around 300. Granted, 75 of those are Legend of Zelda Randomizer ROMs.

I have a modified Ninja Gaiden 3 ROM that includes a password system that was included in the Japanese version. But, I have save states on NES games, so no harm with saving those.

KMFDManic

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Under 100, haha. I trimmed and trimmed and trimmed, and I have it around 300. Granted, 75 of those are Legend of Zelda Randomizer ROMs.

I have a modified Ninja Gaiden 3 ROM that includes a password system that was included in the Japanese version. But, I have save states on NES games, so no harm with saving those.

Shame Ninja Gaiden 3 isn't as exceptionally awesome as 1 and 2! And, funny thing, the arcade version is sooo much different, and really not that great! If you want to try something interesting, load Ninja Gaiden for Turbografx! The palette is so colorful, haha.

NESjimbo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I tried the arcade version. I figured it would be similar, but it's nothing like the NES game. A few games are like that, like Rygar.

On my NESC, I dropped all the inferior arcade ports, and replaced with the arcade originals, such as DK, Mario Bros., Bubble Bobble, Pac-Man.

One arcade game I had trouble with was NBA Jam TE. It only ran on mame2000, and it eventually crashed. It did run on 2003, but it was slow and the sound was choppy. Does it run on the new mame core? You mentioned it runs games that had only previously worked on 2000.

KMFDManic

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I tried the arcade version. I figured it would be similar, but it's nothing like the NES game. A few games are like that, like Rygar.

On my NESC, I dropped all the inferior arcade ports, and replaced with the arcade originals, such as DK, Mario Bros., Bubble Bobble, Pac-Man.

One arcade game I had trouble with was NBA Jam TE. It only ran on mame2000, and it eventually crashed. It did run on 2003, but it was slow and the sound was choppy. Does it run on the new mame core? You mentioned it runs games that had only previously worked on 2000.

A few weeks ago, someone had the same problem as you. I ripped the superior NBA Hang Time PS1 for them. I would suggest, if you want to run NBA Jam. Use NBA Hang Time PS1 Rip, or NBA Jam (Updated Roster) SNES Hack:) And, many Midway Arcade games have sound issues. Also, note, other Midway games are the ones that tend to only run on Mame 2000! I, myself, tested NBA Jam, and with vsync off, it ran pretty good.

NESjimbo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How big is the PS1 rip, and does it run well on NESC?

I have the Genesis version loaded, but there's a lot lost in the conversion. For whatever reason, the 32X version of NBA Jam TE doesn't work on the NESC with Picodrive. It boots and and the menus work fine, but the screen goes black and unresponsive when you start a game.

KMFDManic

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How big is the PS1 rip, and does it run well on NESC?

I have the Genesis version loaded, but there's a lot lost in the conversion. For whatever reason, the 32X version of NBA Jam TE doesn't work on the NESC with Picodrive. It boots and and the menus work fine, but the screen goes black and unresponsive when you start a game.

PS1 one runs great. 36.5 Mb. I ripped and compressed it. Ripping out another audio track takes it down to 33 Mb. But, in this instance, I left it alone. And, NBA Jam TE on Sega CD, I ripped some audio files from, got it to 23.6 Mb.

hossbags2

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Has anyone gotten the game Druid (fds) game to work where it is not glitching....the rom defaults to nestopia and looking online was fixed in the nestopia emulator but still glitching on nes mini

KMFDManic

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Has anyone gotten the game Druid (fds) game to work where it is not glitching....the rom defaults to nestopia and looking online was fixed in the nestopia emulator but still glitching on nes mini

I have versions of it for FDS, MSX, ZX Spectrum, and CPC Spectrum, all on the Mini. I will test to see which runs best.

NESjimbo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I picked up a no-intro ROM for Doki Doki Panic, but it crashes with kachikachi after about 3 minutes of play, consistently.

I have an old ROM I acquired years ago that I now use instead, and it runs fine. That's the only issue I've had with the no-intro ROM set I've been using.

KMFDManic

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I picked up a no-intro ROM for Doki Doki Panic, but it crashes with kachikachi after about 3 minutes of play, consistently.

I have an old ROM I acquired years ago that I now use instead, and it runs fine. That's the only issue I've had with the no-intro ROM set I've been using.

I run doki no intro using --retroarch --fceumm. no crashes to be seen. There will always be isolated incidents on the other end of the spectrum. Note, a lot of people were having Castlevania iii crash til I did an md5 hash check and compared the different roms. I finally found a stable one, which is currently a permanent fixture in my v1 set.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    realtimesave @ realtimesave: hey guyz