1. BrettX1234

BrettX1234 Advanced Member
    Newcomer

United States
    You have too many games! The 300 MB estimate is just an estimate and it is based off the a clean image. Once you start to add battery backup, folder images, save states, etc. the number comes down. I ran into random problems when going much higher than 220mb.

Basically while the system has the capability to load up to 300mb. It doesn't really have the capability to PLAY with that many games. With compression I have cut my folder down to 160mb and it seems to be running much better. I'd suggest cutting down the 200 Genesis/SNES games by at least half.

2. chillmodious

chillmodious GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I had same issue with SNES. Had 44 games split into two folders within my main SNES root folder. No problems. Added 10 more games so that each subfolder now had 27 games instead of 22. Everything then worked except for SNES, which gave me a black screen and C8 on boot when I tried to access the SNES root folder. So I flashed back to my last working setup. I then re-added the 10 additional games, but I created a third folder and re-split the games equally (18 per folder)...this worked! Unfortunately, I tried to further add another six games (thinking I would now go to four folders of 15 games each), and the black screen returned. Now I'm in the midst of re-testing. I'm thinking five folders of 12 would work, but what I probably need to do is look at the actual file sizes of all the games in a particular folder...I could have a lot of big games grouped into one of those folders just by virtue of where they fall alphabetically, and if one of those subfolders happens to have over 30MB in it, that might be triggering the issue. I am also thinking the naming of the folders, as you have suggested, could be something. When I add more games it obviously changes the alphabetical grouping, so for example, having a range of "Adventures of Batman & Robin - NHL '94" might work, but not "Adventures of Batman & Robin - Contra Iii: The Alien Wars." (By the way, I'm at 146/300MB, so nowhere near the overall limit.)

Last edited: Feb 27, 2017
  3. saxman717

saxman717 Advanced Member
    Newcomer

United States
    It could be that, but here's the thing:

When my system ran stable with 420 ROMs, it was with uncompressed files (2.12) and was up to ~297 MB total for the games. No C8 errors after trying a variety of games across systems.

Now with 520 ROMs from compressed files under 2.13e, the total first crashed with 295 MB worth of games. Then after removing Mother 3 (and adding a few games back in), it had the same permanent C8 crash under the same circumstance (opening the Sega Genesis folder from the main menu).

Total game size may lead to problems, but I'm not sure if it's responsible for this permanent C8 error brick status that only seems to occur when I open a particular main menu folder (Sega Genesis). Also, I can check the total MB for each Sega sub-folder later today, but they only contain 6-8 ROMs per folder, so I expect the total size for each folder to be under 30 MB...

4. TokyoMario

TokyoMario Advanced Member
    Newcomer

I'm looking on build bot libretro nightly and I find 2016-10-18 core. Is that version r22 751c8c2? If not... could you link me in the right direction.

5. jelmer

jelmer GBAtemp Fan

Bulgaria
    Sent you a PM

6. vintageretro

vintageretro Member
    Newcomer

Swaziland
    You are right, in installed the wrong Firmware for the receiver. Glad that i don't brick my receiver :)
    Also it's 2.72 beta 0 like you said.
    But you have to make the initial binding every time when you update retroarch? The 8Bitdo are great Controllers but the support is a bit on the weak side. There ist just one guy who answere in the forum and threre are many recommendations from user for button configuration. It's possible to Change the Buttons with the Windows tool but it won't save. We will see what 8Bitdo release, a button configuration would be great.

7. themyst

themyst GBAtemp Regular

United States
    retroarch is caching unzipped ROMs and does not delete them after you are done, which is why you run into instability even though you're initially under 300 MB.

basically we need full access to file system or hakchi needs to auto clear the ROM cache via command line argument.

Does anyone know if reflashing to the stock kernel image will clear the stored junk from a hakchi install?

8. Salvo85

Salvo85 Member
    Newcomer

Italy
    9x2005 is the main choice at the moment

9. TokyoMario

Newcomer

Just got the core installed and it works beautifully. Ridge Racer is smooth. Cheers! @pcm720 you may want to update the playstation 1 core with his version.

jelmer likes this.
  10. jelmer

jelmer GBAtemp Fan

Bulgaria
    He already replied and will update it in a future version :)

11. youngtune27

youngtune27 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    I have 687 nes. 19 snes. 12 genesis. 6 gba and 1 neo geo. Things work fine. I had to make my neo folder sync first folder instead of 3rd folder to get it to sync :) contra3 works fine!

12. TokyoMario

Newcomer

Are you saying that by playing a zipped game, it's actually going to take up more space than save? The size of the zipped ROM and the cache will be the size of the unzipped ROM? And that we have no way of deleting the cache?

13. Kobe46

Kobe46 Advanced Member
    Newcomer

Canada
    You should only ever need to do it once, when ever you re-install retroarch is when it clears the config. I have not synced or added more games yet so I am not 100% sure yet. I will do this later today after work. Windows stores it directly within windows applications, so that will not work on the receiver.

vintageretro likes this.
  14. EleonoraYumizuru

Newcomer

Italy
    I think that it only caches the rom that you are playing in that moment and then deletes it, I haven't found any other unzipped rom other than the one playing in /var/cache

15. chillmodious

chillmodious GBAtemp Regular

United States
    You're completely missing the issue. It flashes fine. Your setup is also NES-heavy, so our circumstances are very different. It has to do with the games and folder limits, possibly even length of folder titles, that are giving just the SNES root folder a black screen and C8.

16. erolz

erolz GBAtemp Fan

Belgium
    Ok cool. Thanks mate!
    I've played the NES Zelda 1 game for quite some time now. Do I really need to go back to factory settings? Is there a way to backup my Zelda save game?
    Also, how do I add SNES game covers to the mini-nes GUI?

17. Lollovmc

Lollovmc Member
    Newcomer

Italy
    Hi all!

I have a little problem with N64 games. I'm using version 2.13 of hakchi2 and everythig work fine, everything work great. But N64 games after a few minutes of play, start to freeze or crash...it happens to me with mario kart 64 and super smash bros.
    Any suggestion? Thank's all

18. MrTea

MrTea GBAtemp Fan

Using the latest 2.2e my fonts have gone a bit strange? For example in my Arcade folder...

1942 is now '2 Arcade'
    1943 '3 Arcade'
    720 is renamed also to ' 2 Arcade '
    Chase hq ' chase h'
    Final fight Japan 'final fight apan'
    Gi Joe Arcade 'Gi oe Arcade'
    Liquid kids 'liuid kids'
    Return of the Jedi 'return of the edi'

I've checked and the use extended font has been checked on and this isn't a problem I've had before?

Any ideas??

Edit : reflashing fixed it!!

19. heygravity

heygravity Member
    Newcomer

Cover art can all be found via hakchi itself - there's a button to search Google images then you just pick your favourite from the images shown.

I'm not sure about factory settings - I've only hacked mine once (2.10) and I didn't have to go back to factory settings nor did I lose any save states. I'm waiting a little longer to re-hack mine as I want a mix of NES/SNES/GB/N64 games and things aren't quite stable yet when it comes to larger ROMs.

20. nenned

nenned Member
    Newcomer

United States
    Thanks! Will try when I get home.

Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - hakchi2, simple,