Had an idea

Discussion in '3DS - Homebrew Development and Emulators' started by csgolawliet, Jul 27, 2016.

1. csgolawliet
    OP

csgolawliet Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Mar 22, 2015
    Hi guys. First of all sorry if I say something VERY noobish in this post. Just thought about this last night and I think it could be fun

I saw some months ago a thread of Linux ported to the 3ds, and as far as I know android is based on linux, so imagine Pokemon GO working in our consoles? It would be pretty cool to be honest

What do yo guys think? New homebrew idea? :rofl2:

2. SomeGamer

SomeGamer GBAtemp Guru

Dec 19, 2014
    Hungary
    Just no. Even on my Octa-core 64bit 2GHz phone it struggles. Imagine how a single processor running at 304MHz (in case of N3DS) would handle it.

3. -pm-

-pm- Member

Newcomer
    Feb 19, 2014
    Gambia, The
    Well, even when I ignore hard hardware requirements for Android itself (like RAM; Android 1.1 might be possible, Android 4.4 is required for Go), there still will be the lack of any geo-location-possibility.
    It might be possible to provide the location externally, but that would pretty sure violate with the ToS of Pokemon Go.

Also, as Android uses SurfaceFlinger as UI-Base (loosely comparable to Wayland/Weston), there is the need for new drivers. (You also want to use OpenGL/ES for UI and Pokemon and so on; thats way more complex than drawing something on a framebuffer)
    I don't think that everything which has to be done for this brings any effort.

But... to answer your question finally:
    it is as possible as it is possible to run Windows 7 on a Pentium II machine.

Last edited by -pm-, Jul 27, 2016
    Ryccardo likes this.
  4. azoreseuropa

azoreseuropa GBAtemp Guru

Nov 6, 2002
    Portugal
    Proud to be Portuguese but I am in USA.
    Umm... No. Not into Pokemon, thought. :)

5. Urbanshadow

Urbanshadow GBAtemp Maniac

Oct 16, 2015
    I have two things to say. First one is that even if you ignore the power processing and graphic limitations you lack the XG internet data connection to roam around and you lack the GPS module for geolocating the device. Second one is that even if you could, it doesn't mean you should.

6. fikatr

fikatr GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Mar 29, 2016
    Turkey
    next to smea
  7. Hector_of_Troy

Hector_of_Troy GBAtemp Regular

Feb 9, 2016
    Italy
    If I wanted to play casual scrub games I wouldn't have bought an underpowered 2ds piece of hardware! jk :P

8. PK101

PK101 Cuttin' shit up in dis thread.

Banned
    Jun 21, 2016
    United States
    Huehuehue in the zoo.
    Ideas aren't allowed in Hell

9. TheCruel

TheCruel Developer

Banned
    Dec 6, 2013
    United States
    Look at the speed of Nintendo's AR games (And the camera quality) lol. The console wasn't made for it, it's terrible.

SirBeethoven likes this.