2. No, It's useless!

2 vote(s)
    28.6%
  3. 7 voter(s)
  1. Calegxm999

OP Calegxm999 Member
    Newcomer

Australia
    Is there any way you can hack a laptop without buying a "Special Drive" like Rubber Ducky and BadUSB?
    Please Don't say anything irrelevant...
    Can I just use a normal USB so I don't have to waste money?

2. SirECK

SirECK GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Canada
    Being a little malicious aren't we?
    Gaining unauthorized access to a computer that doesn't belong to you is a big no no.
    "Hacking" is such a general term, if you have physical access to the laptop, you don't need to hack per se.
    Depending on what you goal is there are several pieces or software, some free that can get you access.
    What's you ultimate goal here?

Silent_Gunner likes this.
  3. Captain_N

Captain_N GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    If those drive have no hardware modifications then yeah.
    If u wanna hack a laptop just take out the hard drive.

4. Magsor

Magsor I am watching you

Canada
    The question should be the other way around. Is there anything we can't hack?Most laptops are pretty much unlocked on the get go in my view.

5. Taleweaver

Taleweaver Storywriter

Belgium
    Properly define "hacking", please.

You can use most if not all USB drives(1) to generate a bootable image. Heck...just about any linux booter has a way to boot from the device. And if the original hard drive isn't encrypted (which it still mostly isn't), then you can access files on it without much problems.

For further hacking, drive images like hiren or @Jayro 's medicat DVD are filled with interesting tinkering tools should things go belly-up with a laptop.

I've got to be honest: I have no idea to what degree those devices you mention are anything other than pre-built USB drives. I mean...you can define 'hacking' also as being able to override BIOS bootpriorities to allow the drive to boot (which...it might? Or not? :unsure: ). Or as in the overdramatised ways movies and television portray them ("I've just inserted a USB drive in your computer. Therefore, all computer screens within the building will go haywire when I finish speaking, all the lights will start flickering for dramatic effect(2), and there will be explosions. Unless you meet my ridiculous demands. :tpi: "). Perhaps these devices can do that stuff...but probably it'll be somewhat in the middle.

EDIT: erm...why is this in the computer gaming section? :unsure:

(1): I've had my share of "free with corn flakes" drives that flat out refused to boot from USB.
    (2): because of course every high-tech office connects their lighting directly into the unsecured network rather than having it be an independent circuit. :rolleyes:

Last edited by Taleweaver, May 26, 2020
  6. Zaide

Zaide GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Usb rubber ducky is just a tiny scripted keyboard. It can't hack anything that you couldn't technically already hack with the keyboard on the computer... It just does it a lot faster.

If you're just talking about a regular USB flash drive, your best bet is just going to be having a malicious application on there that just does what you're trying to do. Like others have said, it depends on what you're trying to do. You're not going to bypass a login screen with that, but you could install some remote access program or render the computer unusable.

7. VinsCool

VinsCool Persona Secretiva Felineus

Canada
    Everytime someone mention hacking with a USB drive I think of the original PS Jailbreak hack.

There's certainly ways to do it if there's known vulnerabilities.
    However, I doubt anything as such could be done on modern operating systems.
    The best may be booting to a Linux distro and overwrite everything you want from it.

8. Biduleman

Biduleman GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    But even then you couldn't just use an off the shelf usb thumbdrive, put a file on it or reprogram it and then hack your PS3 with it. You needed something that could execute code.

You can't use a USB thumbdrive to make a BadUSB or a Rubber Ducky USB drive. If you look carefully at this picture:

[​IMG]

you will see the ATMEL chip on the thumbdrive. That's a microprocessor. Literally a computer in the thumbdrive. Every USB thumdrives have something like that in them to talk with the computer, but they are not as powerful and can't be reprogrammed. This one is much more powerful. In this case it's programmed to act as a keyboard and send keyboard strokes (and maybe mouse movement, I'm not sure) to install stuff on the target computer.

If you want to make your own kinda similar device, you need something like an Arduino Uno or Micro (not Nano, you need to be able to reprogram the HID controller).

If you want to use a normal usb thumbdrive, the best thing you can do with that is install a security based linux distro, use it to boot the computer you want to "hack" and poke around with that. But you won't get an automated solution like the Ducky or the BadUSB.

Last edited by Biduleman, May 26, 2020
    VinsCool likes this.
  9. Calegxm999

OP Calegxm999 Member
    Newcomer

Australia
    My Ultimate goal is to be able to run a form of script from a usb. It doesn't matter if it's hello world script.

10. Magsor

Magsor I am watching you

Canada
  11. Originality

Originality Chibi-neko

Even if you’ve got a password on your BIOS, there are still ways to get around that. I had a fun case a couple months back where I cleared the BIOS password by shorting two contact points inside the laptop. Got in a minute later.

Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - Hacking, normal, Drive