Hacking Hacking the WiiU: A Simple Progress Guide

WeInvestigateIssues

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My questions:
Bannerbomb works for Wii v4.1 and up, so what about vWii? - Homebrew is what I need, but I do not have neither games listed to exploit my vWii for the steps

Will NES, SNES, Genesis, etc games work for vWii after mod?​
Could any special feature be removed like Wi-Fi, E-Shop, MiiVerse, TVii, Internet, HDMI (I don't even know what this is...) and etc?​
Any similar bans like XBOX 360? Any account risks?​

One more thing. I have little catastrophic cousins who visits everyday and Heavens' knows I cannot keep up with them. I know that hacking can be a high risk to my console and I would like to know how to guard it from abuse. And I do not mean physical damage.

-- Merry Christmas, by the way.

Etheboss

Official LULWUT supporter
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
My questions:
Bannerbomb works for Wii v4.1 and up, so what about vWii? - Homebrew is what I need, but I do not have neither games listed to exploit my vWii for the steps

Will NES, SNES, Genesis, etc games work for vWii after mod?​
Could any special feature be removed like Wi-Fi, E-Shop, MiiVerse, TVii, Internet, HDMI (I don't even know what this is...) and etc?​
Any similar bans like XBOX 360? Any account risks?​

One more thing. I have little catastrophic cousins who visits everyday and Heavens' knows I cannot keep up with them. I know that hacking can be a high risk to my console and I would like to know how to guard it from abuse. And I do not mean physical damage.

-- Merry Christmas, by the way.
my answers

You got it the other way around, bannerbomb only works on wii sm 4.1 or below. For vwii you need a disc exploit.

Yes
No, at least i think that you talk about wii u stuff, as long as the wii u itself is not hacked it will not be possible
Not as far as i know and vwii does not brick the wii u, only the vwii part maybe, but as long as you follow instructions on hoe to softmod vwii, there is no risk

Kamek64

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
The 30c3 talk ended, what do you guys think about it? And when homebrew is possible (if it ever is) do you think there will be a Riivolution for Wii U?

SirByte

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Looks like they were still concentrating on the vWii which means you don't get all your WiiU hardware enabled; they do have a WiiU expoit, but are not releasing it due to lack of interest in homebrew vs. piracy. The lack of an active homebrew scene digging through the hardware is sad because at one point (say 2020-ish) we'd want to to see a WiiU emulator. Perhaps this time piracy is going to be a saviour: once a working WiiU iso loader has been released, there's no need to hold anything back anymore.

That being said, one of the things I was hoping for was using the WiiU gamepad to run emulators on (particularly Atari 800XL - 4:3 screen and virtual keyboard using the stylus), which might be possible from a PC (see later talk).

Thomas83Lin

Retro Gamer
Trophies
Website
www.thomas83lincodes.com
XP
Country
United States
The 30c3 talk ended, what do you guys think about it? And when homebrew is possible (if it ever is) do you think there will be a Riivolution for Wii U?
I watched the entire talk and my take on it, was that the WiiU mode was mostly hacked though it sounded like they hit a small road block, so are now concentrating on vwii instead.

SirByte

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
They way I understood it, they were trying to use an intercepted vWii mode to "roll back" the changes made to get the console into vWii mode in the first place to hopefully end up with a WiiU mode; unfortunately vWii mode locks out certain WiiU hardware with no possibility to get this back (but you do get the 3 cores). I guess what that means is that the vWii mode is not a viable 'attack vector' to get control of the entire WiiU but what it did get is the AES keys which is of course a major accomplishment. AES is symmetric, so you encrypt with the same key. That being said, there are still RSA checks in place which are asymmetric, so you'd need Nintendo's private key to make any changes.

This talk summarizes and adds to some things that fail0verflow already released in May or so, so we'll just have to let everything sink in and hope that someone experiences an Aha-erlebnis (a someone that's willing to share).

muskieratboi

Rydian's got some competition!
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Learned about the 30c3 talk and stuff a few moments ago. currently out and about, but I will update the OP in about an hour or so.

painless

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Do vWii games "look" better on the WiiU with HDMI compared to a Wii with the RGB cables? I am not thinking I'm going to buy one of these machines because of NO! WiiU ISO capability but if the prices ever get super low (100.00 or less) and these machines play Wii ISO's that look a lot better than the Wii.... then maybe.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Do vWii games "look" better on the WiiU with HDMI compared to a Wii with the RGB cables? I am not thinking I'm going to buy one of these machines because of NO! WiiU ISO capability but if the prices ever get super low (100.00 or less) and these machines play Wii ISO's that look a lot better than the Wii.... then maybe.

I think the jaggies look more noticeable/accentuated with an HDMI signal, and I'm playing on an Asus 23" LED screen (Wii U looks fantastic), the games are "scaled" to match the 1080p, but they are still internally, 640 x 480. RGB/component makes Wii games look better.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/fRENPoVaZHk?si=0xgCyaSVzuc5GD5F