Hacking Hacking the WiiU: A Simple Progress Guide

muskieratboi

Rydian's got some competition!
OP
Trophies
XP
Country

Is the WiiU hacked like the Wii yet? (Backups, Homebrew, etc)

b783467a156c08f03b41c95170552afa-650-80.jpg

YES!

DEVELOPMENT TIMELINE:
Late 2013: Fail0verFlow (The Dev team that produced the first usable exploit for the Wii) Announced that they had found an exploit, and showed some MD5 hashes of the WiiU's security keys. However, they also said that they would not release it.

February 2014: A separate hacking team unrelated to F0F has announced they they have also developed a parallel exploit, and have dumped the Boot ROM. It has been independently verified and the MD5 hashes match that of the F0F Exploit, Corroborating F0F's claims. They also would not release this exploit.

June 2014: A usermode Exploit (though one only available in 4.1.0) was released.

Also, Wii U Games started to get Dumped, as well as their Key hashes. The Wii U Ancast key had also been dumped and made available.

March 2015: Some proof of concept Homebrew has been made available using the 4.1.0 Exploit.

April 2015: A Kernel Exploit was announced, however it was not released until September.

June 2015: A new usermode exploit was released, this one compatible with Firmware 5.3.2.

September 2015: The previously announced kernel exploit was released, allowing for limited access to the hardware by coders.
HTTPGecko and What would eventually become Caffiine was released, allowing for game modding and cheats.

October 2015: Loadiine was released, a Backup loader that at the time could only load games from SD cards (this would later be expanded to load games from the local network, and USB hard drives.)

More information is available here.
A Compatibility list is available here.

December 2015: Two Separate IOSU based hacks were announced. Only one would eventually release.

February 2016: @smealum posted a video of an early version of RedNAND, a 3DS-esque EmuNAND based software loader for the WiiU.

May 2016: An update to the Kernel exploit, allowing for homebrew to be loaded on FW 5.5.1 was released.
@smealum also released proof of concept code for an IOSU-based hack. It still required some further exploits of the WiiU's security systems to work properly, however.

Early October 2016: A pair of posters going by the names of the 2016 US presidential Election candidates posted a usable IOSU exploit, and the first publicly available homebrew for said exploit, which displays almost the entire set of Per Console "OTP" keys for the user's WiiU, finally cracking the WiiU's security wide open and allowing for nearly unfettered access to the hardware.

20 October 2016: Nintendo Announced the Switch.
"The Brazillian Method" was released, a combination of homebrew and PC tools by various devs, allowing WiiU backups to be installed directly to the console NAND or a USB hard drive formatted for the WiiU, loaded from an SD card, combined with a download directly from Nintendo's eShop servers on PC. This required a further patch per title as tickets were not correctly copied.

22nd October 2016: The first experimental CFW loader was released, allowing developers to finally fully explore the WiiU's file system.

27th October 2016: Crediar updates DiscU, a dumper for WiiU discs, patching the ticket issue with the Brazillian Method.

30th Oct 2016: RedNAND is officially released. Using the CFW loader, RedNAND can make a copy of WiiU/vWii NAND on SD card and boot from it. This version has signature patching enabled, allowing installation of titles regardless of their signature/console origin (allowing installation of eShop games extracted from another console for example, even if tied to that console).

Fix94 also released WUPHAX, a method to hack vWii from WiiU mode and install the homebrew channel. This allows vWii to be hacked without requiring a compatible disc!

Nov 2016: Haxchi is released, an exploit in the WiiU's DS (and N64) emulators that allows code to be arbitrarily executed in place of the DS Rom. Now you can load apps such as the Homebrew Channel Directly from your Home menu!

Dec 2016: Fix94 releases WUDump and WUD2APP, A pair of tools that allow users to dump their own discs into raw WUD format, and optionally convert it into Ticket files for NAND installs with WUPinstaller.

During The 33c3 Nintendo hacking talk, a team of hackers revealed that they had created an exploit using Fault Injection Techniques to access the Boot1 ROM through Boot0, allowing (with some more work) access to the vaunted Boot1 Encryption key. However, they did not explain the method with which they did so, and will not release details.

Mid-December 2016:
Mocha CFW was released, An all-in-one custom Firmware for the Wii U that has plenty of features and customization options.

Fix94 released Custom Boot Haxchi (CBHC), an update of Haxchi to patch the WiiU into CFW mode automatically at console's boot.
September/October 2017: WiiU Wii virtual console channels can now be generated and injected with any Wii games, gamecube games or vWii homebrew, all supporting WiiU Gamepad thanks to Fix94's work.

So, Can we Run WiiU ISOs/Backups?

Yes!
Most, if not all games now work under Custom Firmware, but there are a few exceptions, and some games (particularly ones that were not on the eShop) may require additional work to run properly. Please consult the Forum Stickies and research if your game backup is compatible first.

What else can we do in WiiU Mode?

• Run Backups? Yes!
  • Run Homebrew? Yes! There's a decent amount of Homebrew available.
  • Use Cheats/Mods for games? Yes! Cafiine and TCPGecko can be used to Modify or cheat at your games. (Please don't cheat in online games!)
  • Run Wii games with gamepad support ? Yes!
  • Run Gamecube games with gamepad support ? Yes!

How do I Hack my Wii U?

First: DO NOT UPDATE YOUR CONSOLE BEYOND WIIU 5.5.2!
If your console is 5.5.1 or below, do not update it yet!

Then, click the link below!

https://gbatemp.net/threads/451297/
(Big thanks to Kafluke and all users who are continuously helping maintaining it updated)

Wii Mode(vWii)

Is Wii Mode (vWii) hacked yet?

Yes!

What does that mean?
What can we actually
DO in vWii Mode?

Here’s a simple, easy to use list of our current progress in Hacking the Virtual Wii in the WiiU.
(Basically, most stuff works the same, with a few exceptions.)

So how do I mod vWii Mode?

So, you're gonna go through with it?
Congratulations.
BTW, Your warranty is now Void. :P

An utterly FANTASTIC tutorial can be found here.
It will guide you step by step on how to mod your vWii.

Also, PLEASE read the other stickies in the forum, especially this thread.
It will tell you what is and isn't safe to install on your vWii. You don't want a brick on your hands, so you?

A quick note about Wii U Firmware and VWii:

Updating your Wii U will not impact your ability to hack VWii as they are entirely separate operating systems on the console.

HOWEVER: Improperly hacking vWii can cause it to brick, which will cause your Wii U to be unable to update, and may cause issues with Wii Mode hacks!

And lastly, before you do anything,
Always Read the stickies, do your research, and be careful!

Good luck!

I'll update this with more more accurate information as time passes.

Last edited by Cyan, , Reason: Updated to add WiiU Wii VC support. changed wiiu.guide to Kafluke guide.

djricekcn

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
can you change the color of the YELLOW on MAYBE? i also need a Japanese WiiU.... I got USA WiiU and JPN Smash Brothers...

but no games I want from JPN Side yet. *sigh* don't really want USA copy of super smash either.

muskieratboi

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
as far as i know you can't install wiiware or wads at all on a vwii do you have any info to backup that claim?

Hellboy2010 posted in damysteryman's thread showing an image of Wiiflow and La Mulana in vWii. I'm trying to see if I can get more detailed answers.

jonesh

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was able to install WADs to the system menu with Multi Mod Manager and IOS 236. If you'd like, I can take a photo. All I did was install IOS 236, open Multi Mod Manager, change IOS to 236, and install the WADs I had sitting on my SD card. I did notice that a forwarder for Configurable USB Loader that I had didn't forward to the DOL on my SD card and instead froze the console, but others worked without issue.

techboy

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Nice. Been wanting to see something like this :)

Also, just a few ideas for things to add:
  • Use SNEEK on vWii? (Reports I read said no, but needs more testing I think)
  • Install Bootmii on vWii?
  • Install Priiloader on vWii?
  • Use Cheats through Gecko OS?

Reactions: djbubba2002

Skeet1983

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nice. Been wanting to see something like this :)

Also, just a few ideas for things to add:
  • Use SNEEK on vWii? (Reports I read said no, but needs more testing I think)
  • Install Bootmii on vWii?
  • Install Priiloader on vWii?
  • Use Cheats through Gecko OS?
I would like to know about Gecko OS as well. I have tried using it, but unable to use cheats for wii channels (Ex: Mega Man 9 and 10) since I don't have IOS236(I think that is one required for cheats in wii channels) installed as I don't know how to go about installing it... Thoughts appreciated as usual :)

air2004

Air
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
not sure if this is the thread to post this in , but it seems the vwii is being treated as a real wii. By that I mean , the memory is only 512 like on the original wii.I just redownloaded all the crap from the store that I bought for my original wii and I ran out of space .I had to delete the wiiu transfer tool to make the last item I downloaded fit.

Attachments

• 2012-12-10_00-26-09_511.jpg
    2012-12-10_00-26-09_511.jpg
    837.5 KB · Views: 4,487

muskieratboi

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
what is the point of my 32gb console if the vWii is still only 512 ? and how do I check remaining space under wii u ? can anyone help
Hardware limitations.

You can use an SD card to expand your vWii storage like a real Wii, and we're working on getting USB loaders to work. stay tuned. :P

air2004

Air
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How do I check remaining space under wii u ? the vWii is only 512 like the original , so what the hell is the point of having a 32gb system if its not gonna allocate more space the vWii ?

pwsincd

Garage Flower
Developer
Trophies
XP
How do I check remaining space under wii u ? the vWii is only 512 like the original , so what the hell is the point of having a 32gb system if its not gonna allocate more space the vWii ?

the wiiu is just backward compatible , its not a wii but bigger .. its a wii in a wiiu . Thats all. the 32gig being for the wiiu... im sure you knew this though.. but want your cake and to eat it.

muskieratboi

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Ummmmm...

You know. Wii U mode Eshop purchases? future Wii U homebrew?

Bryon15

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Cool. Thanks. This is a good topic. Now we just need a topic that shows you how to go about installing this stuff on your Wii U and where to download the programs from.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    maaaaan that's so awesome but I also don't want to fork over a hundo for it
  • Veho @ Veho:
    The fuuuuu---
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I thought it was an actual xBox at that price.
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I wanna grab a 360 Slim and a 360 E one of these days. Missed the boat of getting them at their lowest though, once they were discontinued. Could've got them for cheap back when I was a broke 20 something working at Target, but then again, I was a broke 20 something working at Target
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Being broke is no fun.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @Sicklyboy, $150 isn't that bad for a jtag slim on ebay
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I only wish it was actually playable.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    There's a guy on the Tube of You that makes playable mechanical arcade games out of Lego. This could work on the same principle.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Just a couple of guys taking their manatee out for some fresh air, why you have to molest them?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Stupid Chinese shop switched their shipping company and this one is slooooooow.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    STOP BUYING CHINESE CRAP THEN
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    SUPPORT LOCAL PRODUCTS, MAKE REVOLUTION
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THEY KEEP REMOVING LOCAL SHIt AND REPLACING WItH INFERIOR CHINESE CRAP
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THATS WHY MY PARTNER CANT GET A GOOTWEAR HIS SIZE ANYMORE
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    HE HAS BIG FOOT AND BIG DUCK
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    d*ck i mean*
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Mkay.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I just ordered another package from China just to spite you.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Leo could not withstand communism.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Its OUR products to begin with lol.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Its OUR products to begin with lol.