Hackers and internet

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Not really. My parents don't have an internet because they don't know how to use the computer so they have a smart tv box with a wifi for Skype only. Their information isn't stolen at all. How is that possible ? LOL!:rofl2:
Since their information is in a bunch of sectors. Especially the goverment one. So yes, their information is definitely is someones hands if they want it.

spotanjo3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The signed up for services like Skype, so their information is given to someone who may or may not (99% likely to happen at SOME point) get hacked, which their info can be stolen from.

Since their information is in a bunch of sectors. Especially the goverment one. So yes, their information is definitely is someones hands if they want it.

Info can be stolen from that easily, since it has skype

Not really. Just her real name and fake birth date and her email have no information so she is ok. :)

spotanjo3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They just have that info, and if your government gets hacked, the hackers can knock on your door, and get you.

Of course that is rare though

LOL! The hackers can knock ? For what ? They are the criminal and my parents won't answer it after peek at the windows if they don't know who! A very rare, indeed.

Last edited by spotanjo3,

tunip3

[debugger active]
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
So, my parents don't want to get internet. They are against it because of all the news on negative things that happen through the internet like getting hacked and personal information getting stolen.
i am trying to make my case on how the internet is not bad if you know what you are doing.
Can anyone give me information that will help my case. And information on how hackers can actually hack you.
Thanks a lot!
would a world class fighter come up t you and atack you on the street for no reason out of millions.
then why would a hacker hack you

Reactions: Subtle Demise

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
would a world class fighter come up t you and atack you on the street for no reason out of millions.
then why would a hacker hack you
I can clench a fist, however doing so carries the risk of someone else around being better or better positioned, no gain and a fair amount of downside.
My port scanner is running from a botnet I access after walking through 10 roads with no security cameras and someone using the default wifi password, before going through an anonymising system and as a distributed network. Depending upon data flow rates it might well have done 50000 scans before I have walked to get there. Your data means nothing individually, and it is certainly not personal, collectively it is more useful so I collect that of many.

Anyway I am now off to find whatever the Canadian equivalent of Fox news is, as such results are usually when that places does a scare story or three. For the OP as others have said then if you can educate your parents then that would help, that can be a trick which is easier said than done though.

InsaneNutter

Trophies
Website
digiex.net
XP
Country
I live in the country. My closest nieghbor is 2 miles away and they dont have internet

I live in the country side, isolated on a farm. In my school they have less than 100 people in it. No cell service here either. Or hospital. So its a crap area. But ill try convonce them some more.

You might not even be able to get the internet if your that remote with no cell service.

Saying that theirs always satellite internet which can be expensive or dial up.

Have you looked in to if any providers will service the area you live in?

Deleted member 377734

100th degree asskicker
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
honestly? just explain that as long as they don't post their info( credit card numbers and whatnot ) being hacked will do piss all, since there is nothing there to steal anyway, you're social media account ? just open a new one, and besides, the probability of YOU getting hacked is like 1 out of a Million.

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
Is there any way you can get a job? Does your house have a phone line? If so, just sign up for an internet plan without them knowing. They sound pretty computer illiterate. You could probably buy a small modem and disguise it so they don't even know what they're looking at.

If not, do you get 3G reception where you live? Get a phone and prepaid.

If not - move out as soon as school finishes. Save all your money. Start making plans now :-)

Last edited by Quantumcat,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: 9:02 am here